Manhattan Unit #'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Most NYPD units identify with their command and a sector assignment, as in "34 Adam," which is 34th Precinct, Sector Adam. Sometimes you will hear one car covering multiple sectors, such as "34 Adam-Charlie."
Some units will identify by RMP Number, such as Borough Task Force units. Housing Units, I believe, will also identify by RMP Number, usually the 9000 series.
You will hear Posts, which are foot posts. IMPACT posts are the rookies.

NYPD Units Explained

Southtown800 said:
what about units i hear all the time on Citywide...i hear dispatch always call out North David, South David, 23 SGT, and so on?

Units heard on the Citywide 1 & 2 freqs are doing warrant checks on a male/female stopped on the street (by name & D.O.B.). Citywide-3 is Manhattan Traffic Task Force. On big details (any major parades, events, etc), Citywide 1 will temporarily cease warrant checks & accomodate the event on that freq. Citywide-2 will be used strictly for warrant checks during this time.

North David is Sector David from the Midtown NORTH Precinct & South David is Sector David from the Midtown SOUTH Precinct.

NYPD Units Explained

** The XX's below denotes the precinct number **

XX-Adam/Boy/Charlie/David/Eddie/etc are precinct sector cars. They patrol a geographically charted area within a precinct. Sometimes you might have a sector handling two or more sectors (example: 63-EddieFrank). Some precinct areas are huge like the 122 with sectors Adam to Sam, or you might have some precincts areas that are small like the 69 with sectors Adam to Frank. The smallest precinct area with the most sectors is the 44 in the Bronx with sectors Adam to Thomas (high crime area, so you know). The 75 Pct in Brooklyn is the only precinct in the city that's "split" into 3 zones (1, 2 and 3). So units would come over like 75-Adam1 (Adam sector, Zone 1) and so on.

XX-SGT is the tour sergeant (patrol supervisor for any given shift).

XX-LT is the tour lieutenant (bigger "boss" supervisor for any given shift).

XX-Critical (or Critical Response) is a car that acts like another sector in a precinct & will respond to a report of confirmed terrorist activity. In this case, each Critical unit from each precinct in the city will converge to a staging area nearby where the terrorist activity is taking place. They run drills every other day called "surge drills" where they converge on a given area anywhere within the city. These orders are given by a boro duty captain or by a higher ranking "boss".

XX-Conditions units respond to Quality-of-Life jobs (loud music, disorderly groups, drag racing & so on within the precinct area).

XX-SNEU units are precinct Street Narcotics Enforcement Units. These guys are plainclothes cops in unmarked cars or vans taking care of anything drug related within a precinct.

XX-Crime units are precinct Anti-Crime units. They are also plainclothes cops in unmarked cars or vans who go after pretty much anything (just like the regular sectors), but their main focus is violent crime ("man with a gun" calls, assaults, robberies, etc).

XX-Squad (sometimes called PDU) is the precinct's Detective Squad. They come out to investigate serious crimes such as shootings, stabbings, robberies, homicides, burglaries, etc.

XX-RAM is the precinct's Robbery Apprehension Module. They're a part of the precinct detective squad who strictly investigate robberies within a precinct area.

XX-BAT is the precinct's Burglary Apprehension Team. They're also a part of the precinct detective squad who strictly investigate burglaries within a precinct area.

XX-School is the precinct's School Safety car that responds to any jobs coming from or around the vicinity of a school within the precinct.

XX-Youth is the precinct Youth officer's car that does home visits to parents of a child who's a juvenile delinquent or who is chronically truant from school (caught cutting school).

XX-Truancy is the precinct truancy van that detains kids cutting class during school hours & brings them to a cutting center to be processed (NOT arrested!!)

XX-DVO (sometimes called Domestic) is the Domestic Violence car. They just do follow-up visits on residences with chronic domestic violence history.

XX-H.O.W. is the House of Worship cars that patrols the areas surrounding churches, synagogues & temples within a precinct.

Housing cars are assigned to PSA's (Police Service Area - NYC Housing projects) within a precinc. Their radio ID will be in the 9XXX series (example: Housing 9759, Housing SGT 9299, Housing Conditions 9150 etc.)

Emergency Service AdamX/BoyX/CharlieX or TruckX are Emergency services trucks who respond to jobs where special equipment is needed (emotionally disturbed persons or EDP's, pinned passengers in car accidents, unattended suspicious packages, rescues, evidence and perp (suspect) searches, etc.

AviationXX are helicopters from the NYPD's Aviation Unit. They are usually called in to scan the area from the air using infrared & NightSun (spotlight) for missing persons on land or in the water & for perp searches. You would know by the chopper's engine & rotor blades going in the background.

Any unit with the 5XXX series in their radio ID is a van (from a precinct, boro task force, boro crime, boro narcotics, etc.)

And that pretty much covers the precinct level (whew lol)...Hope this is a world of help for ya!! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

Last edited:

SCANdal

Silent Key

Two minor corrections...

- The XX after "Aviation" does not denote a precinct number. There are nine helicopters in the NYPD's fleet denoted as follows:

Aviation 3, 4, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, and 23.

- The X in Emergency Service unit IDs do not denote precincts either. Click on http://www.n2nov.net/NYPD_ESU_Truck_Supv_Numbers.html for what the numbers mean in ESU IDs (the middle column in the upper section denotes where the squads are based out of).

SCANdal

JLAB

Do the critical response units have COBRA training and equipment or are they mainly for manpower without any specialization ?

SCANdal said:

Two minor corrections...

- The XX after "Aviation" does not denote a precinct number. There are nine helicopters in the NYPD's fleet denoted as follows:

Aviation 3, 4, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, and 23.

- The X in Emergency Service unit IDs do not denote precincts either. Click on http://www.n2nov.net/NYPD_ESU_Truck_Supv_Numbers.html for what the numbers mean in ESU IDs (the middle column in the upper section denotes where the squads are based out of).

SCANdal

Yeah I know that, I was typing different radio ID's as I went along. I've been scanning the NYPD for years know, so I know. In 6 months, you'll be hearing me on the air soon (I'm going in the January 2007 NYPD academy class).

JLAB said:
Do the critical response units have COBRA training and equipment or are they mainly for manpower without any specialization ?

From what I hear, Critical Response units are just for manpower. As for COBRA training, I'm not too sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.