Manhole Barrier System...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
Without even reading the article I will say this...Just from the title, sounds like a plan that they could sell to prison inmates! Essential shower room equipment!

hoser147

slicerwizard said:
???

They do nothing to keep the manhole covers in place. What are you smoking?
Other than the wieght and the fit in the outer ring they pop up with a spud bar or hux bar most are not secure...............Hoser

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
Around here some of them have 5-sided heads with stainless steel bolts to hold them down in the ring, but if the thieves can drive to them they burn the heads off with a plasma cutter or something. (Covers were aluminum alloy) Replacements are fiberglass.

electraglide

What do the thieves do with the manhole covers after they steal them.? I'm guessing sell them for scrap.wonder how much they get for one?

hoser147

kb2vxa said:
About $300 a ton give or take.
Yep and very few places actually look at what they are buying, it comes in in a truckload and is weighted, and dumped from there its picked up by a crane with a magnet loaded again and gone. I see truckloads every day, cars that have sat in the woods for 40 years are fair game to the thieves anymore. its all about the tonage.............Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.