Manhunt In Mt,. Ranier National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAScanMan

They were using a combination of LERN and OSCCR. WSP had an air unit up (Smokey) as did ICE (Omaha) 150+ officers were/are working this incident including the FBI. According to the following article the suspect is a potential person of interest in another shooting. They think he was headed to the area to hide after the first shooting. Prayers and condolences to her family and the officers involved. She left behind a husband and 2 kids aged 4 and 2.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Ranger-shot-at-Mount-Rainier-National-Park-136505173.html

An officer down memorial page has been created here:
Park Ranger Margaret Anderson, United States Department of the Interior - National Park Service, U.S. Government

Last edited:

Stavro35

I heard activity on one of the I tac frequencies early this evening. I don't remember which one. And I can't confirm that it was for the manhunt. But I am guessing it has to be.

I am also programming in a lot of common nationwide and statewide frequencies in my recently purchased Pro 163.

Last edited:

WAScanMan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Stavro35 said:
I heard activity on one of the I tac frequencies early this evening. I don't remember which one. And I can't confirm that it was for the manhunt. But I am guessing it has to be.

I am also programming in a lot of common nationwide and statewide frequencies in my recently purchased Pro 163.

Would you mind posting or sending me a PM with which frequency it was on? I have them all programmed in but didn't think to try scanning them earlier.

That is OSCCR, but I'm not picking up anything there. Getting lots on LERN, but it seems to be carrying over from somewhere else. A lot of second hand info etc.

SCPD

QRT
Here is a copy of an email I sent to the employees of Mt. Rainier National Park:

My wife and I want to express our deepest sympathies to the husband of Margaret Anderson, her two young children, the employees of Mt. Rainier National Park and the entire Park Service family. This a a time of great sadness and difficulty as a result of a senseless act of violence. It is not only the NPS that is suffering right now, it is the entire natural resource management community or the "thin green line," those of us employed to protect the world's best public land system, that are now grieving. We have lost one of our own, regardless of the shape of the patch and color of the shirt. Words cannot express my shock and sadness. My thoughts and prayers for all involved will be with you. Thank you for the incredible job you do in protecting the crown jewels of our country. You are admired.

Fred Richter
U.S. Forest Service, Retired

SCPD

QRT
Additional details about this incident make this more of a tragedy than it first appeared to be. The following was posted on the Officer Down Memorial Page:

Park Ranger Margaret Anderson was shot and killed while executing a felony stop near the Longmire Ranger Station in Mount Rainier National Park at approximately 10:30 am.

Another officer attempted to stop the suspect near the Paradise Ranger Station, but the suspect fled before being stopped again by Ranger Anderson, who had set up a road block. The suspect stepped out of his vehicle and opened fire with a shotgun, striking Ranger Anderson before she was able to exit her patrol car.

After being shot, Ranger Anderson radioed for help as the suspect fled on foot. Officers attempting to reach Ranger Anderson were held at bay for approximately three hours as the suspect continued to fire on them. The suspect's vehicle was recovered with additional weapons and body armor inside.

Ranger Anderson had served with the National Park Service for four years. She is survived by her husband and two young children. Her husband also serves as a park ranger in the park and was on duty at the time.

Please contact the following agency to send condolences or to obtain funeral arrangements:

Steve Shackelton, Associate Director for Visitor and Resource Protection
United States Department of the Interior - National Park Service
1849 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20240

Phone: (202) 208-6843

Read more: Park Ranger Margaret Anderson, United States Department of the Interior - National Park Service, U.S. Government

Last edited:

Stavro35

I tac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Would you mind posting or sending me a PM with which frequency it was on? I have them all programmed in but didn't think to try scanning them earlier.

No need to make the information private just between you and I. The frequency was an I tac frequency.Which one, I don't recall. I just happened to glance over at my Pro163 at the right time. But only noticed the text tag " I tac" on my radio. I don't remember the number or frequency.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Iraq Vet with lots of baggage.

It's a tragedy as well,that he was sent home without treatment for his ptsd.
Several guys in my unit were walking time bombs after they came home to their families. :(

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
It's a tragedy as well,that he was sent home without treatment for his ptsd.
Several guys in my unit were walking time bombs after they came home to their families. :(

n9zas

Unfortunately I know far more about PTSD than I would have chosen to know. I did not serve in the military and am not, by nature, a violent person so directing my anger at others did not involve violence. I think those who do are very much in the minority. For the rest the result is major depression and declining physical health. These folks usually suffer in silence while their world crumbles around them. Such people direct their anger inwardly instead of outwardly. Often their lives end in what I call "terminal depression," or suicide. This is not done on a whim, as is erroneously reported and commonly believed, rather being done after years of constant emotional pain. Many people's attitude about depression and PTSD is reflected in one statement from the article accessed by the last link provided. The following is a quote from that article "Barnes has had a troubled transition to civilian life, with accusations he suffers post-traumatic stress disorder and is suicidal. "Accusations" that he suffered from PTSD, since when is PTSD is something to "accuse" someone of?

Don't get me wrong here, this scuzzball deserved to die and he made some conscious decisions to commit violence that many people will suffer their entire live's because of. Once he committed his crimes of yesterday, he had no sympathy from me.

gewecke, I agree with your assessment that he was sent home without treatment for PTSD. Would we sent someone home without treating them for a broken leg? PTSD is just a debilitating as a broken leg, maybe more because people won't talk to you or support you in the same manner as they would for a broken leg. I can also say, with some expertise that PTSD can effectively treated. If he had gotten such treatment we would not have a thread here.

I could say much more about PTSD but will spare everyone the gory details.

Confuzzled

I guess they finally got to the nutcicle and confirmed the ID.

Hopefully he went slow and painfully.

SCPD

QRT
Sounds like it could have been hypothermia. The initial stages are fairly benign and you don't know that something serious is going on. Your body defends itself by shivering. Once it can't produce enough energy to do that the shivering stops. At that point your core temperature is about 94-95 degrees. I've treated a couple of people at this stage and it was touch and go. I was fortunate to have the means to warm these people even in the face of some real challenging circumstances. My observations of these people at that stage have been that they are oblivious. They can speak to you but their answers to the old person, place, time and event questions can be quite bizarre. Soon after that the brain is at a low enough temperature that judgement is lost and people often abandon water, packs, sleeping bags, shelter and even clothing. I would think that this is not a painful process as long as you don't recognize the various stages. If you do I would think you would be terrified, at least I think I would be.

After reading the information that Ranger Anderson was able to use her radio to request assistance that assistance could not reach her for three hours I'm even more angry. Could she have survived if help reached her sooner? A conclusion cannot be made until the details of her injuries are reported. In any case my hope is that he could see hell as he froze to death.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
After reading the information that Ranger Anderson was able to use her radio to request assistance that assistance could not reach her for three hours I'm even more angry. Could she have survived if help reached her sooner? A conclusion cannot be made until the details of her injuries are reported. In any case my hope is that he could see hell as he froze to death.

This is what is more troubling to me Exsmokey. Obviously we don't know all of the details but this angers me too. According to the reports I heard, the suspect was shooting at responding officers. I still can't believe they couldn't get to her any quicker than that. :mad:

Confuzzled

The way I read it, there was some sort of standoff for three hours. Maybe they got to her, but couldn't get her out, maybe they couldn't get to her, maybe they got her out, but couldn't go after the suspect; I'm really not sure. If he was still out there with a gun (or they thought he was), they may not have been able to do anything at first until they got more support.

Confuzzled

Barnes, a private first class, was discharged from the Army for misconduct in 2009 after he was charged with drunken driving and improperly transporting a privately owned weapon at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. Lewis-McChord has drawn national attention for widespread problems with post-traumatic stress disorder among service members returning from Afghanistan and from Iraq, where Barnes served in 2007 and 2008.

** Snipped **

A year ago, the military newspaper Star and Stripes rated Lewis-McChord as the most troubled base in the entire U.S. military, with multiple criminal and military investigations under way into troops' behavior and the quality of the medical and mental health care for service members returning from the war.

The Army directed base officials last year to focus specifically on the mental health of members of the 5th Stryker Brigade, which saw heavy action in Afghanistan in 2009 and 2010. Barnes served with a Lewis-McChord Stryker brigade, although officials said they didn't immediately know whether it was the 5th.

U.S. News - Ex-soldier in Mount Rainier killing stationed at deeply troubled base

Status
Not open for further replies.