Manitoba Public Safety Communications Service ( PSCS)

BC_Scan

Consider this as an official thread:

The new Provincial system seems to be coming alive (former Bell/MTS Province wide system) I have logged numerous 700 MHz sites since last visit 2019, I suspect the turn down of 800 will be occurring gradually. Looks like a mix of ENC & Clear Comm's per this info:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hmm.

• The only permitted radios are all Motorola
  • Per the SOPs at that link, all FDs are going to be required to use encryption
  • Same SOP seems to imply that only Bell will be allowed to program radios
  • Their list of interop channels is a single page, with 12 TGs (5 of which are encrypted) and one simplex channel

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Hmm.

• The only permitted radios are all Motorola
  • Per the SOPs at that link, all FDs are going to be required to use encryption
  • Same SOP seems to imply that only Bell will be allowed to program radios
  • Their list of interop channels is a single page, with 12 TGs (5 of which are encrypted) and one simplex channel

There is a lot of great info there! Some of the info seems contradictory, however. Some docs say the all radios will be required to have encryption keys installed in them. Other documents say the radios will use encryption to "prevent unauthorised users from receiving transmissions".

mickeryay

Scanner stopped trunking the other day. I tried switching all control channels to the new 700 MHz system but still nothing.

Is this the end of FleetNet scanning?

EWC_BDN

Kinda, if you have a P25 scanner you might be able to hear the some PS stuff, but no Fire, no EMS, no Police.

Fire and EMS are new, but Police has been that way for a long time. I would assume you could hear Manitoba Highway guys still and maybe the odd similar group. Like MLCC or something.

ve4ear

Old 800MHz FleetNet is still alive here in Southern MB. MB Health has, or nearly has completed the move to the new system. They are broadcasting the new comms on the old Fleetnet talkgroups but I imagine that wont last much longer.

The Rural Fire groups are starting their transition with new departments switching over every day. Again, some of the Mutual Aid talkgroups are linked to the old system to allow transition. It likely won't be long and the old 800MHz frequencies will be left to the couriers and other commercial clients.

I believe Highways has already moved to 700 MHz as a check of the old Fleetnet talkgroups just returns silence.

mciupa

I am sitting on some site info regarding sites that were submitted back in August. Since a lot of sites were identified today, I hope the membership can help me match this info to site numbers.

• 770.20625 NAC 9e6 Jessica Lake Site 1.33 or Site 1.88 ?
  • 771.08125 NAC 9E1 Hadashville Sites 1.15, 1.28, or 1.83 ?
  • 771.04375 NAC 9e8 Whiteshell Site 1.01 or 1.44 ?
  • 771.10625 NAC 9e1 Whitemouth Site 1.05 or 1.71 ?
  • 770.88125 NAC 9e7 Gimli Site 1.07 or 1.75 ?
I can process the submissions after confirmation.

Thanks!

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Old 800MHz FleetNet is still alive here in Southern MB. MB Health has, or nearly has completed the move to the new system. They are broadcasting the new comms on the old Fleetnet talkgroups but I imagine that wont last much longer.

The Rural Fire groups are starting their transition with new departments switching over every day. Again, some of the Mutual Aid talkgroups are linked to the old system to allow transition. It likely won't be long and the old 800MHz frequencies will be left to the couriers and other commercial clients.

I believe Highways has already moved to 700 MHz as a check of the old Fleetnet talkgroups just returns silence.

Any clue on new TG's for the new system and whether we are dealing with encryption or not?

ve4ear

Almost all the talkgroups are AES encrypted. There are a couple mutual aid talkgroups that are clear P25. The Mountain View school buses are in the clear using talkgroup 31000. Unfortunately there will be virtually nothing to monitor on this system. Enjoy the last few weeks of FleetNet before the Fire and EMS transition is complete. It is well underway currently.

mickeryay

Yea, our Fire Dept has switched.
Is there a scanner that would pick anything up? Something that does Phase 2?

I used to be able to hear updates and traffic on route to calls.

ve4ear

Unfortunately, virtually all the comms are encrypted. The system is totally Phase 1 so no need to worry about Phase 2.. I am afraid there does not exist a scanner that will allow you to monitor the new encrypted comms.

ve4ear

Anyone outside of Winnipeg using Unitrunker or DSD+ to analyse the PSCS? I would be interested in exchanging notes.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
A friend of mine is moving to Selkirk in a few months and he would like to listen to FD (he's a soon to be retired Chief here). Is it safe to assume Selkirk will be on this system and most likely encrypted?

jets1961

I'm still seeing lots of RCMP traffic on the FleetNet 800 system and can't seem to see a patch to the new 700 system. I wonder if RCMP are in a beef with the province over new radios. I think their old radios will work on the new system but unsure.

ve4ear

It does not appear that they have transitioned yet. Every day it appears more of their new radios are being programmed and keyed using the OTAR/OTAP process and some limited testing has taken place. I also have not seen any patches to the new system.

Morden, Winkler, Altona, Rivers, and Ste Anne police departments have all moved and they are still patched to FleetNet for now. No sign of Springfield Police on the new system yet..

jets1961

Yes, I have noticed Morden, Winkler, Altona, and Rivers seem to be on the same FleetNet TG or am I going nuts? As for Ste. Anne, I have not heard them in a while will check they are not locked out.

How do you see the OTAR process, DSD+ , Unitrunker or OP 25? I'll give DSD+ a go today at work.