Manitoulin Island First Nations Police - UCCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc1990

I don't know about First Nations but Manitoulin's policing agency is the OPP. They can be heard on ops tg 8592 and the detachment (special events tg) 8288 on the Bell FleetNet system Zone3. Depending on where you are on the island/or which side you want to monitor you have the choice of 2 towers : 1st one is West Bay (site 015) and the 2nd one is Silver Water (site 016). Manitoulin OPP are identify as « 4Hotel » units. If you don't have a digital trunktracking scanner, try the OPP conventiional freq. at the following link : Ontario Provincial Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference. Your best bet are to monitor the 3 Simplex, the 3 VRs, and the 3 BEAT freq. (that's according to my experience listining to OPP on conv. freq. provincewide). I will be travelling to Manitoulin Island in August.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong!

Last edited:

mciupa

Database Admin
Try searching from 406.0000 MHz to 420.0000 MHz.
I think another First Nations police service elsewhere in Ontario is in that range.

Last edited:

unlisted

Yup, the OPP Aboriginal Services cover Manitoulin with custom paint schemes (not the OPP black-and-white). I think all or most of the OPP Aboriginal detachments get their own paint scheme.

... Are you saying the OPP on the island have different "paint schemes" for their OPP vehicles? If so, I highly doubt this, as I am up there almost every year at least once.. and I always see the "standard" black and whites. (well, since they switched to black and white, before that it was the standard white, etc)

The Aboriginal police dept up there has a totally different paint scheme..

Oh and the police are friendly up there, I met a few in passing, really, really nice guys.

Sorry, I don't recall what type of radios the Aboriginal police are using, never asked. IIRC, I did see a VHF like (long whip) antenna on some of their cruisers.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
No, he's not saying the OPP have a different paint scheme.

He's saying the UCCM Anishnaabe Police Service have a different paint scheme.

The Aboriginal Policing unit of the OPP provide assistance and support which could possibly include communications and vehicles although with a different paint scheme.

I'd check Fleetnet as a lot of the First Nations police seem to use it for their communications.

Squishy

UCCM is part of the OPP. Same with Rama Police here, they are OPP 1Papa units but have all-black vehicles and blue "Rama Police" lettering - not the standard black-and-whites.

Checking Google Images, UCCM uses a white paint scheme with blue lettering with a sort of feather design. They are listed under the OPP as one of their services.

However, I believe that the OPP tries to make the Aboriginal services fairly autonomous, as they all have their own police chiefs:
http://www.opp.ca/ecms/index.php?id=81

Last edited:

Squishy

Sorry, I just did some asking around and it looks like UCCM, as well as Rama Police, are full-fledged police services under the Police Services Act. OPP just provides dispatching services as well as some training, but does not do recruitment.

So I do have an answer for the original question now - UCCM dispatch is part of OPP and will be found on Fleetnet Zone 3 under the talkgroups mentioned in the second post of the thread.

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
i used to go up there for 2 weeks each summer i miss that place

would love to use my radio up there

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Could I assume that Tyendinaga Reserve Police are the same then?

Different paint scheme yet dispatched by OPP?

No, he's not saying the OPP have a different paint scheme.

He's saying the UCCM Anishnaabe Police Service have a different paint scheme.

The Aboriginal Policing unit of the OPP provide assistance and support which could possibly include communications and vehicles although with a different paint scheme.

I'd check Fleetnet as a lot of the First Nations police seem to use it for their communications.

rc1990

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Wretched said:
Does anybody know the freqs used? I thought it used to be in the database but I must have been mistaken.

I will be there for a bit less then a week in august. I have an analog scanner so i will not be able to monitor opp on bell fleetnet. Was wondering if It's busy on the island (talking about EMS, FD & OPP VRs comms)? Also, other than the island emergency services, is there any other emergency services that can be monitor (i have the
rubber ducky antena and i'm not sure yet on which part of the island i will be staying.

Thanks for the help.

unlisted

Make sure you plug in Miller Enviromental/ Construction into your scanner, and use all the frequencies you can find for Ontario and MI. ;) That is some darn good listening, more so if they are blasting..

More so if you will ever be on the west part of the island... click on the link. manitoulin island - Google Maps

Oh ya, also don't forget to check out the lighthouse on the west end too..

To be quite honest, if its not a "busy weekend" there is not much comms up there. I heard more on the local FD channel and FRS (heh) than I did from the OPP. (fire were doing training) MOH was kinda busy as well. Its really hit and miss up there with scanning. There is quite a few hams thou.... if you got your license.

Last edited:

rc1990

Make sure you plug in Miller Enviromental/ Construction into your scanner, and use all the frequencies you can find for Ontario and MI. ;) That is some darn good listening, more so if they are blasting..

More so if you will ever be on the west part of the island... click on the link. manitoulin island - Google Maps

Oh ya, also don't forget to check out the lighthouse on the west end too..

To be quite honest, if its not a "busy weekend" there is not much comms up there. I heard more on the local FD channel and FRS (heh) than I did from the OPP. (fire were doing training) MOH was kinda busy as well. Its really hit and miss up there with scanning. There is quite a few hams thou.... if you got your license.

Anywhere on the island, I won't be able to pick up any MI stuff because they're too far for my rubber ducky antana range (about 20-30 km ive been told.). Can you be more specific as of wich county in MI to programmed in? What did you ment when you said « more so if they are blasting.. »?

Thanks.

unlisted

Sorry, I meant to say Lafarge.. Lafarge Construction Materials -Manitoulin Plant - Southwest Ontario. http://www.lafarge.com/lafarge/CONT..._biodiversity-North_America_Manitoulin-uk.pdf
The Manitoulin Quarry, located on the extreme west end of Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron (Ontario-Canada),represents one of the largest limestone quarries in North Amercia. The site production is nearly 5 millions tons peryear.

They have a *huge* facility up on the island, if you click on that map link, it should show the location (if google maps link it working correct) Also if you do go out there to "listen" remember to check out the lighthouse! http://www.themississagilighthouse.com/

Last edited:

rc1990

Sorry, I meant to say Lafarge.. Lafarge Construction Materials -Manitoulin Plant - Southwest Ontario. http://www.lafarge.com/lafarge/CONT..._biodiversity-North_America_Manitoulin-uk.pdf

They have a *huge* facility up on the island, if you click on that map link, it should show the location (if google maps link it working correct) Also if you do go out there to "listen" remember to check out the lighthouse! Welcome

I'm going there for a family vacation and at the same time, i'll bring my scanner for when I have time for myself.

I'll make sure to program in Lafarge. Also, on the MI (US) side, which county sould I monitor (if I can because the range on my rubber antena is only about 20-40 kms)?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

unlisted

Again, it all depends on where you are on that island. My handheld scanner picked up tonnes of "skip" when I was on an edge of the island.. (made a point to visit the 4 points of the island) but when I was dead center on the island at my families residence up there, I didn't hear anything other than local chatter.

If your on the west end/lighthouse area, punch in Chippewa, Presque Isle, maybe even Alpena. Signals tend to travel over the water.. Heck on the south part of the island I was able to hear Dyers Bay Fleetnet tower on a clear night. It really depends where you go on the island.. Oh and boat/shipping frequencies are busy as well.

rc1990

"skip" , clear night

I'm guessing it's when you miss part of the transmission because it skips (because you're a vbit too far).

And a clear night is when there's no cloud in the sky.

I know there are pretty dumb question but I want to lake sure we're on the same page here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.