Manitowoc County Awards Radio Communication System Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiradio

On March 31, 2010 Manitowoc County, Wisconsin awarded a Radio Communication System Contract to Motorola for $6,382,487. The contract comes almost 7 months after the state originally released the solicitation in September of 2009. The vendors that had expressed interest in this project by attending the pre-proposal conference included Alcatel-Lucent, Bay Electronics, Baycom Inc, EADS, Federal Engineering Inc, Franks Radio, Grain Communications, Harris Corporation, Harris Stratex Networks, Leonard J. Koehnen & Assc Inc, Motorola, Nielson Communication, and Tait Radio Communications.
Cost was a large concern for this project, but more importantly, many of the proposals the County received couldn't meet the County's specifications.

Motorola will be tasked with engineering , furnishing, installing, and commissioning a primary P25 700/800 MHz trunked communications network; VHF overlay network, an interoperability network, control stations, and subsciber equipment.

idontknow82

Theres too much irresponsible spending in this city. Where is this money coming from!? Anyone know if it's still going to have open channels? Last time I asked it was going to be monitorable, but with the vendors involved I question if it will be monitorable.

Last edited:

otrebla

What's the deal with the local newspaper? A nearly $15 million project and the Herald Times Reporter ignores it.

kb0uxv

This should be the same system we use here in MN (known as ARMER) and you will be able to monitor it with an appropriate scanner - except for any talkgroups / users that use encryption.

I work for a county in MN and one of my jobs is administering our radio system - when our county upgraded to the Motorola P25 (version 7.7) it was about 6 million for infer structure and subscriber equipment. Generally, that price was for consulting fees, about 600 radios (XTS and XTL 2500s), two additional circuit based simulcast sites (total of 7 sites in our county), 5 position 7500 consoles, and a network administration terminal.

After Federal grants the total price was down to about 2 million, so I would guess that Manitowoc County (where I have family) will be similar.

Best regards, Go Vikings! Nate kb0uxv

KC9AAH

It's needed, but...

I think the system does need an upgrade, but why not just add more towers, so everyone can talk to everyone else. This county doesn't need a P25 digital system. We are building a new dispatch center, it's almost done. I think now would be the perfect time to upgrade the radio system, but FCC website shows nothing new as far as frequencies in the 700-800 MHz range.

otrebla

I think the system does need an upgrade, but why not just add more towers, so everyone can talk to everyone else. This county doesn't need a P25 digital system. We are building a new dispatch center, it's almost done. I think now would be the perfect time to upgrade the radio system, but FCC website shows nothing new as far as frequencies in the 700-800 MHz range.

Five 800 MHz frequencies have been allocated to Manitowoc County.

Maybe these frequencies will be part of the trunking system.

Status
Not open for further replies.