Manitowoc County S.O. back on 159.2100 analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Greetings again.

Rode through Manitowoc County yesterday and as I suspected, 159.2100 (192.8) and Talkgroup 36001 are simulcasting each other. It sounded like the portables were mostly analog, while the dispatcher sounded digital on 159.2100.

County Jail (36006) and County Highways (36211) were still on the 800MHz. There was nothing heard on 155.6400 for the hour or so I was in the county monitoring.

Tim

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Thanks again, Tim... I just got a message on Tuesday from an independent comm tech who is familiar with the MCSD 800 system. He mentioned that there are issues with dead spots - not only for the portables, but with the mobiles as well, in numerous parts of the county. He confirmed what I had read in another radio forum a couple months ago. Too bad that we hear about more and more P25 systems that are not working out very well.

I have a commercial VHF radio from Kenwood for my licensed IG frequency, but I also had a bunch of receive only frequencies programmed in so I could use the radio as a scanner - I can receive the 159.210 narrowband signal from Cato as far away as Beaver Dam, Oconto Falls, Ephriam in Door County and just east of Waupaca. I understand that the 800 mhz system can't even be heard in Manitowoc County in many areas. Unfortunate. :(

kb0uxv

Might be a programming issue...Tell your tech friend to verify the codeplug's trunking system is set to CQPSK (simulcast) instead of C4FM. That lesson was learned the hard way here in MN.

It would also be a good idea to be sure their APX radios have the latest firmware.

RevGary

My 'friend' is not a Motorola representative. He is an independent tech from that general area (one county west).

Since no one from Manitowoc County, who has firm details, has replied in this thread, we'll just forget about it at this time. Thanks to all who did reply.

kylem1229

Premium Subscriber
I live in Racine County, and heard Manitowoc sheriff loud and clear on 159.2100 using a radio shack 800mhz antennea. Surprised it got this far (Maybe because of the weather or something?). It was a great surprise.

RevGary

From what I can tell, their ERP is licensed at 634 watts, and that tower location is on one of the highest points in the county. I can hear it on a portable near the Brown/Oconto County line northwest of Green Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.