Manning SC PAL 800 coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Driving back from the beach, I used U.S. 521 through Manning and noticed that my BCD436 was clinging to the Kingstree tower and not switching over to the Sumter tower. The radio's range was set at 0 to rely solely on the tower ranges to minimize overlap. The HP troops were organized as separate departments within a Favorites List (Beach, naturally). The tower range is the default and I was using the circles. And I was using the BC-GSPK antenna.

Generally, I thought the radio was sluggish switching between towers along the 280-mile drive. I was only monitoring HP or local law enforcement on the PAL 800 system.

After looking at the PAL tower coverage areas in the database here, there is a coverage gap between the two towers. I was well into Clarendon County before the 436 switched to the Sumter tower.

I could not hear any HP Clarendon traffic for about 10 miles either side of Manning on the Kingstree tower, which the radio was still tracking even though it is outside the coverage area displayed on the RR map. Of course, there may have been no transmissions during the period I was traveling through the area.

Wonder if we have any locals in the Manning area who can help me with this? I don't want to extend the radio range and prefer to use tower ranges only, and maybe that just doesn't work. I can extend the Sumter tower if the HP around Manning is using that tower. They are part of the Sumter/Clarendon troop, according to the SCHP web site.

But regardless which tower the troopers are using, I should see the tower as being scanned as soon as it is within range. But the database clearly shows Manning as outside the circle of coverage for the Kingstree and Sumter towers, and I'm sure the HP there is using one of these towers.

Last edited:
the tower you need for the manning area is the manning tower located somewhere near summerton it has a cc of 853.7125 try that one and see if you have better coverage

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I just drove that same route in the last few weeks. Trunktracker71 is correct that you somehow missed the Manning Tower in between Kingstree and Sumter.

Also, you might find the RR version of the site map more helpful and up-to-date. Don't use the Palmetto 800 map that's linked in the system information field on the Palmetto 800 database page.

Instead, use the "RR Locations" link at the top of the "System Frequencies" table on the Palmetto 800 Database page. It sould show you all tower sites in an easily navigated Google Map interface.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Brian, I was using the PAL database trying to figure out what happened. Just checked my Beach FL and sure enough System 5 was Manning with Troop 1 and the Manning tower. It was downloaded from RR using Arc536Pro and the frequencies appear correct. And it wasn't avoided, so it should have fired up as I drove through. But there was no evidence on the display as I drove through. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
The Manning site is actually not in Manning, its to the southwest nearer to Summerton. It seems to cover the town of Manning just fine, but passing through on 521 toward Sumter you'd be moving away from the site pretty quickly as you leave Manning. I can't explain why you didn't hear it.

Similarly, the Sumter site isn't in the town of Sumter, but closer to the Pinewood area.

It's something to pay more attention to on your next trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.