Manteca Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmangtr

Feed Provider
....Anyone monitor Manteca PD? I've noticed the only traffic I get are just the repeater identifications. Its been silent for 2 days now. I hope I didnt break my scanner :(

wskrayen

Manteca PD is encrypted. Sometimes they would transmit unencrypted, but over time they have gone fully encrypted on their main channel. You can still catch them unencrypted on their secondary channel, but that is mostly animal control and such.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
you will see ENC or LNK depending on if they're in the clear or not

fear the depts who fear people listening

Sac916

you will see ENC or LNK depending on if they're in the clear or not

fear the depts who fear people listening

I don't mean to turn this into an "encryption" debate - What I will say is that more departments are considering encryption when (after) they go P25 - The biggest "reason" I hear being thrown around is that more and more suspects are being arrested with scanner apps running on the cell phone. Not just downloaded and available, but actively running when taken into custody. It's not an exaggeration, it's becoming quite common, especially when dealing with Parole's at large and premeditated felony crimes. Streaming scanner traffic is becoming VERY popular, and easily accessible

karldotcom

If you just read the bid specs for the proposed LA County system...they want vendors to price out encryption from end to end. of course, it will cost a billion dollars by the time they are done....but the future is written on the wall.

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

wskrayen said:
Manteca PD is encrypted. Sometimes they would transmit unencrypted, but over time they have gone fully encrypted on their main channel. You can still catch them unencrypted on their secondary channel, but that is mostly animal control and such.

If by full encryption you mean 100% of the time, then you are incorrect. I hear units on the clear often. Even on the main dispatch.

Last edited:

wskrayen

If by full encryption you mean 100% of the time, then you are incorrect. I hear units on the clear often. Even on the main dispatch.

Lets see if I can type this before my cable internet flakes again. To a certain extent you are correct, but you will only hear them in the clear when they forget to turn on encryption. IIRC, the mobiles and handhelds are programmed with encryption as an option, not always on, allowing the officers the choice. Since they have cut officers, transmitting in the clear on primary happens even less then it used to.

Strangely when they first switched to the new radios, I was watching a patrol unit on a traffic stop talking on the radio. My scanner was showing ENC, but when he quit transmitting, my scanner landed on their secondary channel, and they were running an surveillance in the clear. Go figure...

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
ant i think you are giving crooks a little more credit than they deserve
i am sure it has happened where someone has been listening in trying not to get caught but
the HUGE majority of crooks are impulsive sociopaths who have instant gratification needs
if they are that sophisticated - then it isnt a difficult step to progress to the next level - they can acquire a handheld and still listen in

its a never ending fantasy about encryption to sell more and more high end radios because radios are becoming so cheap

in the lmr world its unheard of to pay much more than 200 bucks for a handheld -yet in the "public safety " world you wont see a handheld sell for anything under 2k each

for active ops a dept can use nextel (like many do) and get their privacy needs met
it just really bothers me why a dept needs encryption and it should signal a need to watch any dept that feels the need to go full time encryption
especially a cowtown like manteca
somehow manteca has higher safety protocols and needs than stockton or oakland or san francisco or sacramento.. shall i continue >

just bugs me and it should bug you there are MANY MANY chiefs of police and sheriffs who encourage citizens to listen to their scanners to assist the police because those areas realize that they are there to HELP the citizens.. not hide behind draconian dui checks aimed at checking peoples registration and insurance paperwork in the name of drunk driving

Haben Sie dein Papieren Bitte

cousinkix1953

I don't mean to turn this into an "encryption" debate - What I will say is that more departments are considering encryption when (after) they go P25 - The biggest "reason" I hear being thrown around is that more and more suspects are being arrested with scanner apps running on the cell phone. Not just downloaded and available, but actively running when taken into custody. It's not an exaggeration, it's becoming quite common, especially when dealing with Parole's at large and premeditated felony crimes. Streaming scanner traffic is becoming VERY popular, and easily accessible
We already have laws against eavesdropping on a police scanner, while committing a crime. It's felony too; but this is rarely mentioned in media reports about this illegal hobby...

Sac916

We already have laws against eavesdropping on a police scanner, while committing a crime. It's felony too; but this is rarely mentioned in media reports about this illegal hobby...

But the lawbreakers don't care about eavesdropping laws. The intent of encryption is to keep bad guys from being one step ahead.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
the bad guys will ALWAYS be 1 step ahead
the courts have seen to that thx to the limitations the courts have placed because of nefarious previous cops and their abuses so now we all pay cause of a few bad apples ..
about as stupid as gun laws to "stop criminal activity" ..so somehow people wont do crimes..
but wait crooks dont obey laws oops

cousin made a very good point .. i have only ever seen 1 of those on a rap sheet ever..
he was the lookout man with the scanner while his buddies were in stealing .. but the dummies knocked over a business with only 1 way in and 1 way out so they were stuck and this guy rolled on them with their names and addresses before the other deputies even made contact (they nailed the lookout 1st)
so cause of his snitching - all charges of burglarly were dropped against him and they just beefed him with the penal code for using scanner etc commission of a crime

this guy had a long checkered past .. he was a ham and hung himself a few years ago
what a "loss" lol

snowmangtr

Feed Provider
......Well back to my original question/complaint....I'm still learning my BCD396T aaaaand like a special dude I am...didnt even noticed I had the main dispatch locked out...

BACK TO NORMAL!
I still hear ENC chatter on the main, along with LNK audio I can understand.

P25 is still really crappy...too bad Manteca PD lost their VHF.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
First and last warning.... No more encryption or government politics rants.

<off-topic deleted>

scanstockton

Manteca Encrypts all their traffic as does Ripon Police, Tracy Police which is digital does not encrypt their communications. I live about 25 miles away from Tracy but I get a strong signal and the traffic is clear, if you want to see if your digital scanner works try Tracy like I did, you will be impressed. I think the whole Idea of encrypting goes against the intent of the legislation to move all public safety communications to their own block of the frequency spectrum so as to allow for users being able to port or patch their communications together in state of emergency or disaster. If the other departments do not use the same Encryption scheme, then they would not be able to communicate with Manteca or any department that encrypts their traffic. The whole digital concept has been ease of use, and the ability to communicate on a local, state, or national level with other mutual aid units, other departments etc.

cousinkix1953

Manteca Encrypts all their traffic as does Ripon Police, Tracy Police which is digital does not encrypt their communications. I live about 25 miles away from Tracy but I get a strong signal and the traffic is clear, if you want to see if your digital scanner works try Tracy like I did, you will be impressed. I think the whole Idea of encrypting goes against the intent of the legislation to move all public safety communications to their own block of the frequency spectrum so as to allow for users being able to port or patch their communications together in state of emergency or disaster. If the other departments do not use the same Encryption scheme, then they would not be able to communicate with Manteca or any department that encrypts their traffic. The whole digital concept has been ease of use, and the ability to communicate on a local, state, or national level with other mutual aid units, other departments etc.
Most of the radio traffic in the county is in plain English. So is the CHP, Cal-Fire and state parks. In that case, it makes little sense for two small towns to encrypt radio traffic.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
manteca is blasting out 100 watts
no wonder it gets out so well
BUT you can see the signal on the meter a LONG TIME before you can decode it

thanks digital

seems we are following the way of the cell phone
abandoning quality functioning analog over crap digital

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
manteca is blasting out 100 watts
I've got them locked out so I don't recall the sig levels but Tracy is equal to or stronger. I set the attenuator on so I hear them at a reasonable distance; sometimes still too far.

Manteca ERP: 100W (Coordinator: Ray's Radio Shop)
Tracy ERP: 300W (Coordinator: CSI Telecom)

Maybe someone at CSI needs to learn how RF propagates in the Valley, and stick with the Bay Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.