Manual entry of DMR systems in Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthetik

Hello all. Fairly new to digital modes. I'm trying to manually enter DMR systems not listed in RR database into Sentinel and I'm a bit lost. This is the system I'm trying to add ( Baycom DMR Bay Area repeaters ). Could someone walk me through doing this or point to a tutorial? I'm trying to understand if it should be set up as MotoTRBO or DMR One Frequency as well as how to input the sites/frequencies and talk groups etc. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

synthetik

I'm not sure I'm 100% on the difference when it comes to DMR between stand alone, linked, and trunked with a control channel. I provided the link above to the system for reference. I think I figured out how to add sites and their frequencies as well as departments with TG IDs in Sentinel but unsure I did it correctly. Last night I was seeing 'DMR' flash on the display to indicate data being received on the San Bruno sites for both Baycom DMR and DMR-MARC ( https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9027&siteSort=county ) but today no 'DMR' on display and I've yet to hear any voice decoded at all. Thanks!

synthetik

To clarify when I'm using commercial DMR systems loaded from the RR database I see 'CON+' flash up top, as well as color code and signal bars and hear audio decoded. I'm not seeing this at all with the system I put in manually which leads me to believe I did something wrong.

budevans

I'm not sure I'm 100% on the difference when it comes to DMR between stand alone, linked, and trunked with a control channel.

Stand alone, is just one repeater. It's not connect to other repeaters.
Linked, there are several single repeater sites linked via an internet connection.
Trunked, a controller managing multiple repeaters at one or more sites. Typically used by commercial entities, counties and states. CON+ is one of several types of Motorola DMR Trunk systems.

The Baycom group is a collection of single repeater sites connected to a network controller. In this case Brandmeister, BM 3103.

How should you program Sentinel? You could use the example of the DMR-MARC link that you posted. What you will also need is a list of Talk Groups. You can find that information by searching DMR-MARC and also Brandmeister. There are Talk Groups for all 50 states and most countries. You should also consider enabling ID Search in Sentinel to find Talk Groups.

Hope this helps.

synthetik

Thanks for clarifying. That's how I have it set up as far as I can tell (see screenshots below) with ID Search on and not getting anything on either system. Maybe its just not very active but I have a feeling I did something simple wrong in the setup.

Attachments

• System.jpg
    System.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Sites.jpg
    Sites.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Talkgroups.jpg
    Talkgroups.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 132

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I was going to add that I set up each repeater as a site in the combination system and added the talkgroups avail to the system. Without looking at my computer right now it would be dmr one frequency because it's not a trunk system. I am not sure if my explanation helps.

Kenneth
KD4IIW

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
The connect plus is for a trunking dmr system. What you shared was not a dmr trunked system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

synthetik

Thanks! I realized that when I could not put in the time slot manually and re set up as a stand-alone system with the updated color codes and TGIDs from this site: DMR-MARC Networked Repeaters - Google My Maps all repeaters are set up as separate sites. Still not receiving any decoded audio though :confused:

I appreciate everyone taking the time to help out.

budevans

Attached is a pdf file with TG's for the Brandmeister network which Baycom is part of. It's a large list, select the TG's you are interested in.

Note, you will only hear traffic when a local repeater is active.

Attachments

• BrandMeister Talk Groups.pdf
    105.6 KB · Views: 48

synthetik

Thanks! I think I finally have everything set up correctly. Not hearing a ton of traffic but I've heard the occasional call sign being thrown out. If I have ID Search on it should pick up any talk group being broadcast correct? I may pick up a TYT or Anytone and start experimenting, although for transmitting I'm more interested in C4FM or D Star.

synthetik

Became a bit more active in the evening, however, I'm realizing I'm only hearing one side of the conversation - I understand how that can happen on trunked systems if you're not properly decoding the control channel but unclear what would be causing this on a non trunked system?

Status
Not open for further replies.