Pro-668: Manual Frequency Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5CSG

The Awesome Blue Waffle 825
Even though I have easily figured out how to manually enter a frequency via the software program for this scanner, is it possible to enter a frequency manually from the radio using the radio's menu? I'm sure it's an obvious solution that's been staring me in the face and by busy life doesn't allow me a lot of time to dig and research and "googling it" sure hasn't been any help.

tnx

de kc5csg

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Sure can... I have a WS-1088 which is essentially a PRO-668 with a keypad.

But, not using the keypad... if you navigate to the Add Conv menu, then select Frequency, you use the left/right arrows to select the digit position, then the up/down arrows to select the number in that position.

Hope that helps.

troymail

Silent Key
Sure can... I have a WS-1088 which is essentially a PRO-668 with a keypad.

But, not using the keypad... if you navigate to the Add Conv menu, then select Frequency, you use the left/right arrows to select the digit position, then the up/down arrows to select the number in that position.

Hope that helps.

I could be wrong (I don't own a 668) but I think this feature was added to the Whistlers later and the 668 stopped getting firmware updates long ago (with exception of the firmware hack/bootleg work that can be found in other threads).

Blackswan73

That feature was not included with the 668, along with a couple of other features as well. However, you can convert the 668 to a 1080 and get those features just the same as the 1080. Plus you can add DMR as well.

KC5CSG

The Awesome Blue Waffle 825
That feature was not included with the 668, along with a couple of other features as well. However, you can convert the 668 to a 1080 and get those features just the same as the 1080. Plus you can add DMR as well.

Wow! It's amazing a scanner was built without the ability to enter a frequency via the radio menu. I love the scanner but it sure does look like I have come across the reason Radio Shack has or is going out of business.

Blackswan73

It was not uncommon for RS to leave off features from various equipment to sell at a lower price point. For example, the famous DX440 was basically a Sangean 803a, but the record out jack of the 803 was not included on the 440. The pro 18 was basically the same radio as the GRE800, with features missing on the 18. Many old RS ad said "manufactured to RS specifications.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Ah, Troy... good point... I forgot about that! Thanks for the correction.

I could be wrong (I don't own a 668) but I think this feature was added to the Whistlers later and the 668 stopped getting firmware updates long ago (with exception of the firmware hack/bootleg work that can be found in other threads).

Blackswan73

Actually no. The 1080 had it from day one. That was the reason I sold my first 668 and bought a 1080. In fact I posted this in one of my early threads I started concerning this feature. Later, I discovered I didn't use it as much as I thought I would.

troymail

Silent Key
Actually no. The 1080 had it from day one. That was the reason I sold my first 668 and bought a 1080. In fact I posted this in one of my early threads I started concerning this feature. Later, I discovered I didn't use it as much as I thought I would.

Ok - I just couldn't remember if it was in the Whistlers from the start or not - but I was 99% sure it wasn't in the 668.

Status
Not open for further replies.