Manually select talk group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htech402

I have a psr 400. I have always had Uniden scanners. I'm enjoying this unit. Only one thing really bugs me is with the uniden I could always select the talk group manually without waiting for it to display and then holding the Id. I'm scanning an edac system. Is there a way to select the talk group without waiting for it to be used? Most tg are busy so it's not a problem but one I listen too doesn't have much traffic on it.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Welcome to Radioreference htech402!

The PSR400 does not have the ability to browse to, and hold on, a talkgroup ID. You can, however press Pause when the talkgroup is active to temporary hold the talkgroup for activity. This is a feature found on the PSR500 and 600 and the RadioShack versions of the same model (Pro-106/Pro-197) with the Object Oriented Interface.

bigcatmotorhead

Premium Subscriber
Guess what I figured out a way to pause or select a talk group from the list without is actually being active with conversation. First while in the scan mode, press MAN, FCN, then the TRUNK keys. It will allow you to stop scanning EDACS and then press the arrow up or down keys to get the talk group you wanna hear. This worked for my Pro-164

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
This allows you to edit your talkgroup ID, but not listen to it. Try to press Pause (you'll get a beep error) or Manual (it returns to the trunked system) and you'll see that it doesn't let you monitor the talkgroup from Func+Trunk. From here you can enter a talkgroup ID and press Text to add an alpha-tag and ENT to save it, but not Pause on the talkgroup for audio.

troymail

Silent Key
I found this doesn't work on the 400 so feel free to skip this posting...

Something I do on my PSR-500 (not sure if this applies to the 400) ...

"MAN"
ObjectId
Enter

I remember the OBJECT ID for talkgroups I routinely lock out but might want to listen to. For example, I listen to fire department activity and keep police locked out. When something of interest occurs in my district, I know that they are stored in object "32"... so, I just hit:

MAN
Enter

and go directly to the talkgroup.

Granted - this isn't optimal in that you aren't going to remember the object for every talkgroup but it's a possibility (maybe).

If I missed the point of your question completely or if this doesn't work for your radio, sorry 'bout that.

Happy new year.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The PSR400 doesn't use "objects", it's more like the RadioShack Pro-97/2055 and uses banks and channels. There isn't a way to select a talkgroup ID that is not active and hear the audio by manually selecting the talkgroup ID.

troymail

Silent Key
The PSR400 doesn't use "objects", it's more like the RadioShack Pro-97/2055 and uses banks and channels. There isn't a way to select a talkgroup ID that is not active and hear the audio by manually selecting the talkgroup ID.

yeah - I decided to go find the 400 manual and see how bad I messed that response up - sorry 'bout that.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Not a problem troymail, just trying to help. I still struggle with why it was set up this way to begin with, but I'm sure it helps to promote the flagship models.

bigcatmotorhead

Premium Subscriber
DaveIN was very right, I was wrong. I still haven't found a way to change from one talk group to another. Has anyone else found a way to do that on a Pro 163 or P164?

Astrak

There was a way to do that with PRO-97, I can't remember how to do it anymore since I haven't owned a 97 for a few years. I wonder if maybe a little searching could find that method and if it will work with the 164.

Status
Not open for further replies.