manually selecting ids on a pro-92

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerface27

, uthis is funny.. to me u can hold id if u pick something up u want to hear,but can u get to them manually by pressing a button,,,, does anybody know i forgot???

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-92 operation

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you want to listen to a specific FREQUENCY, then put the scanner in MAN mode on that frequency. You can go to TUNE mode, you can type in the "channel number" (if that frequency has been programmed) and press ENTER, or you can use UP & DOWN arrows to navigate to a programmed channel.

Or are you talking about a trunked channel?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
, uthis is funny.. to me u can hold id if u pick something up u want to hear,but can u get to them manually by pressing a button,,,, does anybody know i forgot???

DidAnyOneRecognizeTheLanguageUsedHere?NotTwoSurItsEnglish.

Try pressing and holding the Trunk key when you are stopped on an ID in a trunked system. I think that is what came out of the gibberish you typed.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
what i meant was can u manually step through ids, instead of holding down trunk.. be a little bit more positive people.......
If you want accurate, thoughtful answers take the time and effort to ask the question in english not in a manner you would type a text message into your cell phone. I too am tired of the laziness people exhibit when posting a question. The onus is not on us to figure it out.

SAR923

Another great example of a product of the California educational system. I wonder if he submits school papers written in IM speak too?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
an u anser be no

Frank, u spelt 'no' rong. :D But then he wouldn't 'know' the difference.

scannerface27, we are being positive. We are very positive that your knowledge of the English language is extremely poor.

I realize that English is an evolving language and maybe text messaging English will be the next major change. I sincerely hope not. When I was in school, we had to read parts of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" in the original 'old English'. I'd take that to text message English.

When you don't know how to capitalize a word, use punctuation to show a minor change in your thought process, don't know the difference between 'there', 'their' and "they're", it makes reading and understanding what you're saying very difficult. Maybe you know what you want to say, but you cannot elucidate it to others in an understandable manner.

Actually, despite all the ridicule of your atrocious English, your (NOT YOU'RE) question has been answered. Early trunk trackers couldn't stop on a single talk group, nor could they scroll through the talk groups. Shoot, the first Uniden trunk trackers would only scan a single trunked system and nothing else. There have been major improvements in trunking technology. The 92 is in the middle of that evolution (like the devolution of the English language). It can stop on a specific talk group, but not let you select one to listen to.

I hope this was not too difficult for you to read, you know, punctuation, complete words and sentences, etc. But I refuse to lower my writing standards. Writing is what I do for a living.

N8IAA

Another great example of a product of the California educational system. I wonder if he submits school papers written in IM speak too?
I was hoping that someone else would make the California connection;)) Lynn, excellent reply. It can be seen in the questions when the posters haven't read their manuals, made mistakes, and have learned from them. Here in Georgia where I reside, the local county has to make students who didn't pass the standardized tests go to summer school for 15 half days so that they can move up to the next grade level. Education has taken a back seat to federal funding. This is the result of years off just learning how to take and pass tests. Not education as we remember it. No wonder we are set upon by 'appliance operators' in the scanning hobby.
Sorry for the rant,
Larry

scannerface27

Thanks

Thanks leh for your response. I was just trying to ask a question. I thought this site was for scanner enthusiasts. But I guess I ran into some english teachers. Thanks people I'll make sure we don't use the text messaging style anymore. I guess most people still have old school phones.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Not so much english teachers, scanner enthusiasts that want to help but also want to feel like the poster has exerted a little effort too such as formulating their question in a meaninful manner. Your last post in this thread came across just fine.

scannerface27

thankyou

I appreciate that bwhite. Do you know of anybody with a good deal on a bcd396? It's almost time to go digital. The 245xlt and the pro-92 are great, but not rebandable.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Actually, we can take this part to PM'ing.
If your 245 is functional I have an 80 year old aunt that can probably get about one more year out of it due to pending rebanding in her area. Reading between the lines, this means she isn't willing to pay too much, but, keep me in mind if you decide to sell it.

N8IAA

Uniden is the only scanner that you can manually step through the scan list to the TG that is to be monitored. That even goes back to the BC235. The GRE's never did have this function, and still don't. Pushing pause and trunk are the only way to do it. Never could figure out why they didn't include that feature. In as much as these new scanners have bells and whistles up the kazoo, they are not made for beginners. DMA and GUI memories are a great step forward. SDR radios will be the next generation that I am waiting for. User programmable for the way you want it. Not for the way the software engineers in Japan think we want it. Expediency and profit drive the manufacturers, not common sense. There are those of use who remember the Checker series of automobiles, you could get parts off of a 10 year old car that fit your vehicle. My point is, that radios do not have to be redesigned every 2-3 years.
I'm beginning to ramble and go off topic.
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding and trunk tracking

I appreciate that bwhite. Do you know of anybody with a good deal on a bcd396? It's almost time to go digital. The 245xlt and the pro-92 are great, but not rebandable.
Actually of all the (older) trunk trackers out there, the PRO-92 is more likely to survive rebanding than many others. This is because later scanners such as the PRO-95 & PRO-97 only monitor the control channel and calculate the voice channel. All versions of the PRO-92 actually require you to program in all frequencies of a trunked system. So while it does not have the ability to "select" a TG ID to monitor (when there is no activity) like the PRO-97 does; it may actually be able to track a conversation on a MOTorola system that's been rebanded, unlike the PRO-97.

Regarding the English comments in this thread; I feel too many people come here and post questions before reading their manuals and at least trying to understand the basics of the scanner they're using. This "ignorance" typically shows by the questions asked and/or way their questions are asked. A well written question goes a long way to making others want to help you. First we actually understand what you're asking, and secondly it shows you will probably understand our answers. Afterall, if you don't have the basics down, nothing we write is going to make sense.

Take care of the PRO-92 and yourself.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You can select TG IDs on the PRO-97!

Uniden is the only scanner that you can manually step through the scan list to the TG that is to be monitored. That even goes back to the BC235. The GRE's never did have this function, and still don't.
Incorrect. You can manually select a TG ID on the PRO-97. Make sure you have the active control channel. Go to the bank of the TRS. Press FUNC TRUNK. Navigate to the TG ID (UP, DOWN, etc). Press FUNC TRUNK. After a brief moment the PRO-97 will be in ID HOLD MODE on the selected TG ID.

N8IAA

Incorrect. You can manually select a TG ID on the PRO-97. Make sure you have the active control channel. Go to the bank of the TRS. Press FUNC TRUNK. Navigate to the TG ID (UP, DOWN, etc). Press FUNC TRUNK. After a brief moment the PRO-97 will be in ID HOLD MODE on the selected TG ID.

You are correct. I just don't use that function. Always liked the manual hold and then go to the talkgroup on the Unidens.
Larry

DonS

N8IAA said:
Uniden is the only scanner that you can manually step through the scan list to the TG that is to be monitored. That even goes back to the BC235. The GRE's never did have this function, and still don't.

The same procedure also works on the GRE-made PRO-96, PSR-300, and PRO-164.

The PSR-500 has a more direct method.

Not counting the "base/mobile" versions, that's 5 GRE scanners in the last 5 years that support this functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.