• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

maratrac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank_005

if somebody have idea to tune the vco or other on my maratrac...? I want transmit on 145.00mhz but maratrac don't like under 146.000mhz

petnrdx

The RF boards of the Maratrac and the similar M-400 are basically the same as a Maxtrac or Radius.
So, the "modification" is pretty much the same.
Been a while since I did a bunch of those, but the steps are pretty much:
If your radio won't accept the programming of the freqs, hack the band limits in the RSS.
You might be able to get the programming to work by entering the freqs digits with the "shift key" method.
Once you have programmed to freqs in the range you want, measure the steering line voltages ( stenciled SL on the RF board ) You want the steering line voltage between 2 volts and 8 volts for the range of freqs you want. I can't remember for sure, but I think 2 volts at your lowest freq, and 8 is going to be your highest.
One VCO is RX and one is TX, set the SL for both. Meaning, adjust one of them during RX, the other while TX'ing. If you turn one while RX and and the SL doesn't change, you probably are trying to adjust the TX. Change and try the other coil.
You will likely find that the radio will transmit WAY too much power below 146.
Look at Batlabs or Repeater-Builder for "manual TX power mod" for a way to put a POT in to adjust the drive of the RF board.
I found most of the VHF Maratracs will try to put out maximum power when running out side of the designed band. Like 180 watts or so if your power supply will handle that much current.
But, they won't do it for long.
Batlabs and Repeater-Builder have lots of info on the Maxtrac. Just treat your Maratrac the same.

Frank_005

do you have idea about the valor of the new pot? I want transmit on 145mhz with 100watts
what is the fine tuning for that?

petnrdx

It is nowhere near that simple.
If you want the info, go to the www.repeater-builder. com website.
Then scroll down to the Motorola section
Then Maxtrac, Radius and GM300 section
Finally the Maxtrac manual power control article.

petnrdx

No.
See my post above.
You have to get the radio to accept the programming ( might have to hack the software )
Then you have to adjust the VCO steering line voltages at the new frequency .
Then you have to do the manual power modification at the new frequency.

There is a small chance that you won't have to do all three, but it is VERY likely that you will.

Frank_005

my frequency is already programmed,not a problem. I have the manual service. My problem is the setup and tuning.. the right pot and other parts to tune on 144-145 mhz ? what I need for a perfect tuning?

thank you for you help

obijohn

I don't know about anyone else's experiences with maratracs, but I have several VHF and UHF Maratracs and they all "play nice" in the ham bands. The VHF ones all transmit fine down to 144 MHz.
No modifications to the overlay file in the RSS is necessary. The UHF ones all work fine too...but you have to hex-edit an overlay file in the RSS to transmit below 450. None of them transmit above normally expected output power.

Now, I can't vouch for M400's. I haven't owned any of those.

Frank_005

when I transmit under 146mhz, the power is very too high. I try the manual power modif next week.
thanks for your help

petnrdx

That is kinda the way those things were.
Some took the programming just fine.
Some won't program below 146 without RSS hack. ( Depends on the software version )
I have had several that transmitted in the 170 watt range on anything below 145.0000 with the normal TX adjust POT not having enuf range to get the power down.
But, I have also seen some that worked at 144.39 just fine.
I have seen some M400's that would not go below 150.0000
Too many RSS versions, with too many FIRMWARE versions, and too many hardware versions. Unlimited combinations.
I have started to just blank the logic board with Maxtrac-Lab, then put Maratrac firmware in, and re-initialize the radio as a Maratrac with the Maratrac RSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.