MARCS Coverage Testing in Ashtabula County

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8VFD

Feed Provider
For several hours yesterday morning/afternoon I was hearing what appeared to be MARCS coverage testing. It was taking place on TG 64736 which is aliased as OHIO EOC under the EMA portion of MARCS. They were driving all throughout the county checking RSSI readings and figuring out what towns favored which towers, etc. I just found it interesting that the system has been on the air for how long now and people are out doing coverage testing?

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
State Patrol and ODOT is currently the only ones using MARCS in that county? From what I remember everybody is still on VHF unless they go out of county to Lake or Geauga.

Nasby

State Patrol and ODOT is currently the only ones using MARCS in that county? From what I remember everybody is still on VHF unless they go out of county to Lake or Geauga.

Just the opposite. Almost all of Ashtabula Co. (Sheriff, Jefferson,Orwell, etc.) is on MARCS now.

The bigger cites, Conneaut, Ashtabula, Geneva, etc. are not.

W8VFD

Feed Provider
I personally have yet to hear ODOT on MARCS, still hear regular traffic on 47.340 MHz

Sheriff, Andover, Jefferson, Orwell, Roaming Shores, & Geneva on the Lake PD is all MARCS
Conneaut PD is Kenwood NEXEDGE Digital VHF
Ashtabula City PD is on a 700 MHz Digital stand alone repeater
I believe Geneva PD is still conventional VHF
All Fire & EMS agencies are still conventional VHF

kbrooks

Premium Subscriber
ODOT is in the process of switching from lowband to MARCS this year.

W8VFD

Feed Provider
Coverage issues?

I would almost think that if there were any significant coverage issues they would have been found by now by the highway patrol. Just my thoughts.

ODOT is in the process of switching from lowband to MARCS this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.