Marcs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

Help me understand marcs. I just bought the hp1 and am in licking county. Why would i be hearing muskingum county so and the lancaster post of osp here? I was under the idea i would hear what was on our tower only

--------------------------------------
Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Help me understand marcs. I just bought the hp1 and am in licking county. Why would i be hearing muskingum county so and the lancaster post of osp here? I was under the idea i would hear what was on our tower only

Steve,

If a user/radio is on talkgroup 12345, roaming into your territory and using a tower you have programmed in your scanner, you will hear all talkgroup 12345 traffic.

For instance, if a Carroll Co Sheriff unit was driving over to Columbus for something and was communicating with CCSO dispatch on 38336, as he drove through your area and was using a site that you have programmed in your scanner you would hear all TG 38336 traffic. Even if the CCSO mobile unit was not talking, as long as his radio is on TG 38336 and he is driving through your area, you might hear activity on 38336.

This is very common... albeit confusing at times. I think most if not all agencies on MARCS have the ability to roam statewide -- and when they roam into your area, you're likely to hear their traffic unless you only have specific talkgroups programmed in to listen to.

Mike

ibagli

Also, the two sites in the eastern part of Licking County are relatively close to Muskingum County; I've never not been able to get MCSO when I've wanted to. The talkgroups for posts 23 and 45 are patched seemingly more often than not, so all of the traffic for both posts will be combined when that happens. (And when it isn't, it's still almost always if not always on at least one of the four sites in the county.)

Last edited:

steveh552

Thanks both if you. So far liking the hp but need to figure out ways to get it the way i want

Status
Not open for further replies.