KWs

Premium Subscriber
Heard some radio traffic on 40552 this morning ... Kent Police testing emergency alert button.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Site 2-065 Minerva

The Minerva site should be online soon . As of today it's showing as a Failed/Isolated neighbor of Stark Co Simulcast with a CC Of 859.5375. So it would not surprise me at all if we see it come online very soon.

Attachments

• Minerva-signs-of-life.png
    Minerva-signs-of-life.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 758

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
The Minerva site should be online soon . As of today it's showing as a Failed/Isolated neighbor of Stark Co Simulcast with a CC Of 859.5375. So it would not surprise me at all if we see it come online very soon.

Thanks for the heads up. I want to be on the look out for it. I just duplicated the Stark System in my scanner and changed the control channel. Will that work?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the heads up. I want to be on the look out for it. I just duplicated the Stark System in my scanner and changed the control channel. Will that work?

No that will not . A minerva site never existed. It is brand new. Some of the frequencies will be ones reused from old sites that are decommissioned from the Stark Co Motorola system when it goes down.

License: WRAW381 (OHIO, STATE OF) FCC Callsign Details

Freqs:

859.5375 probably will be the active CC when it comes online

I would recommend, for now, that you only put in a single frequency (859.5375). P25 Trunked system, with a single freq for now.

If my assumption is correct that it the active CC will be 859.5375 when it does come online, your scanner would pick up the active channels from the control channel. You'd only have to modify it after we all are able to determine (once it is online), what the primary/alt CC are.

Mike

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Did the Shalersville (2-020) site get expanded?
I am in Richfield getting 5 bars of reception, and noticed that they have added more channels.
With my G4, I could barely hold that tower from this location previously.
I was wondering if they added more towers and went simulcast.

By chance you getting or monitoring MARCS Cuyahoga County Common Talkgroups CountyWide Tactical 1-10 off the Shalersville Tower ? Wonder if it’s wothy of putting in and monitoring.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
From reading the various posts, it looks like you only need to enter the control channels to monitor a P25 network such as MARCS. Can someone confirm this for me? If that's the case does anyone know where you can download just the control channels? Thanks!

budevans

From reading the various posts, it looks like you only need to enter the control channels to monitor a P25 network such as MARCS. Can someone confirm this for me? If that's the case does anyone know where you can download just the control channels? Thanks!

Confirmed. For Ohio MARCS-IP P25 System you only need to enter the Control channels.

To find the Control channels. Click on the Databases tab top of the screen. Then Click on the State (Ohio). Next Click on your County.

From the County screen scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will see All Trunk Systems (for your county). Scroll down the list till you see: Ohio MARCS-IP Multi-Agency Radio Communications Click on it.

You will see the entire State of Ohio MARCS-IP Sites listed by County. The frequencies are shown for each site. The Control channels are displayed in Red and Blue.

To sort the list, you can click on Site or County at the top of the listing.

Here's a link for Lorain County: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2086

Last edited:

KWs

Premium Subscriber
City of Kent must be getting close to cutting over to MARCS ... hearing Fire Dispatch simulcasting from their old system on TG 40542 tonight (Dispatch only, no units) and earlier this week heard radio training for Fire utilizing TG 40559 that they identified as TAC-1 channel 15.
With holding any submission to database until cut over.

jasonhouk

Here is a license application for a site in Lexington, OH (Morrow County)

ULS Application - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked - 0008407980 - OHIO, STATE OF - Locations Summary

Typically MARCS sites have at least six repeaters/frequencies. So if/when this site ever comes online it might also use some other frequencies not assigned to this license.

Mike

Mike,

Looked this license up and am a little suspicious that MARCS would add a site a mile away from the Clearfork Steam Corners site.

Thoughts?

Houk

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Mike,

Looked this license up and am a little suspicious that MARCS would add a site a mile away from the Clearfork Steam Corners site.

Thoughts?

Take a look at a topo map and see what the terrain looks like.

If both sites are on sides of hills and shadowed from one another I suppose I could see it, but if they're both on hilltops (as is typical of MARCS sites), I'd be skeptical.

Could also be a type of situation similar to the Laurelville, Hocking Hills and Tar Hollow sites. All are within a few miles of one another but were put in to solve challenging coverage problems in the northern Hocking Hills area.

Only other thing I can think of is perhaps planning to stand up a new site on 800 MHz with better coverage (higher power?) to replace the Steam Corners site. Pretty unlikely though, unless the control channel chosen is already programmed into tens of thousands of radios across the state.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Take a look at a topo map and see what the terrain looks like.

If both sites are on sides of hills and shadowed from one another I suppose I could see it, but if they're both on hilltops (as is typical of MARCS sites), I'd be skeptical.

Could also be a type of situation similar to the Laurelville, Hocking Hills and Tar Hollow sites. All are within a few miles of one another but were put in to solve challenging coverage problems in the northern Hocking Hills area.

Only other thing I can think of is perhaps planning to stand up a new site on 800 MHz with better coverage (higher power?) to replace the Steam Corners site. Pretty unlikely though, unless the control channel chosen is already programmed into tens of thousands of radios across the state.

Tom (and Jason),

I think Tom hit the nail on the head. Likely site move. 2018 Google Imagery for the Lexington Lat/Long show a tower and some worker trucks and a crane. Right across the street (literally) from MId-Ohio.

The current Steam Corners site already has a license with the same 800 mhz freqs (and wouldn't surprise me if some of them were already active on Steam corners). This new license duplicates the 800 mhz from the "Steam Corners" site license.

Mike

Last edited:

KWs

Premium Subscriber
City of Kent Fire Dispatch appears to be fully in use ... Fire Dispatch TG 40542 submitted to database.

MotorolaDave

City of Kent must be getting close to cutting over to MARCS ... hearing Fire Dispatch simulcasting from their old system on TG 40542 tonight (Dispatch only, no units) and earlier this week heard radio training for Fire utilizing TG 40559 that they identified as TAC-1 channel 15.
With holding any submission to database until cut over.

According to the MARCS minutes from October 31, 2018, Kent City police and fire, KSU police and Brimfield police should all be cutting over to MARCS this week.

marklt1

Feed Provider
By chance you getting or monitoring MARCS Cuyahoga County Common Talkgroups CountyWide Tactical 1-10 off the Shalersville Tower ? Wonder if it’s wothy of putting in and monitoring.

I have those county-wide TAC groups in my scanner, and they barely hit. When they do, it's just somebody yapping.
I haven't observed many Cuyahoga based TGIDs show up, most likely being that the tower isn't configured as preferred for anything north of Portage county. On my MARCS portable, I can force it to affiliate but it tends to go back to Cuyahoga unless I am out of range for Cuyahoga. Then it will affiliate to whatever is closest.

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Brimfield Police Dispatch appear to be Talkgroup 40552 ... not sure if this is a Talkgroup solely for Brimfield or might be a shared Talkgroup. I’ll wait a little while longer before submitting to database.
I think KSU Police dispatch Brimfield.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Brimfield Police Dispatch appear to be Talkgroup 40552 ... not sure if this is a Talkgroup solely for Brimfield or might be a shared Talkgroup. I’ll wait a little while longer before submitting to database.
I think KSU Police dispatch Brimfield.

Did you see my PM from 11/1 ??