Sigarmsp226e2

No it would not. If you look at the RR Database of Alpha Tags many of them make no sense at all to us scanner users (they make sense to the Public Safety folks). As a result, the nice thing about scanners is that it lets us put in custom Alpha Tags to fit each individuals understanding when they see it on the scanner's LCD screen.

They make perfect sense if you understand .gov logic

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
They make perfect sense if you understand .gov logic
Talkgroup names were at one time limited to 14 characters in the system database, console displays, and radio displays so you had to be creative in your naming scheme to stay within those limitations.

It's not so much the government as it is a hardware restriction; names are developed based on creating a functional name within an 8-character limit. Since many real radios are limited to no more than 8 characters (often including the zone number), talkgroup names have to be short and succinct. Newer radios can handle up to 14 characters, but the names are often kept short to conform to the restrictions of older radios.

Personally I've rarely had a problem figuring out who was who, at least where MARCS is concerned. Occasionally I've had to edit the name to something legible for my scanner, but not very often.

As regards the talkgroup in question, I personally would have gone with "BCHWD FD" if I were making up the name, rather than "BWOOD FD".

Swipesy

While the TG No is in ODOT range the RID is not. The RID is in the Beechwood FD range of 1890352-1890400. With the way MARCS replacement radios are issued there is not a sequential scheme anymore. Could be anyone. Have to lock on the TG and listen closely.

al_35

I remember few years ago, someone was talking about talk groups in that area with 53046 being one of them and someone mentioned ''detective type talk'' being heard.unsure if that meant federal,state,locals????

au1344

Premium Subscriber
I personally would advise that anyone who likes to listen to talkgroups like 53046 not question what they are publicly, or not post what they are publicly if they happen to determine who it is. Next thing you know they will be ENC. Sometimes it's best to keep stuff tight to the vest.

mike
Agreed. I probably have close to 100 talkgroups in the Franklin County area that I have 100% confirmed their use but will not submit them for that reason.

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of encryption, I’ve noticed many OSP TGs where either the dispatcher is ENC or the unit is ENC. never have heard both of them ENC at the same time. Perhaps OSP is toying with going ENC in the future?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Speaking of encryption, I’ve noticed many OSP TGs where either the dispatcher is ENC or the unit is ENC. never have heard both of them ENC at the same time. Perhaps OSP is toying with going ENC in the future?

I'm pretty sure OSP has selectable encryption on some talkgroups. Last I heard they're leaving the dispatch talkgroups in the clear for interoperability reasons, but the Tac talkgroups are encrypted, supposedly full time (which is why they usually do enforcement blitzes on the Tac talkgroups).

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Agreed. I probably have close to 100 talkgroups in the Franklin County area that I have 100% confirmed their use but will not submit them for that reason.

I'll bet you and I have the same list! :D

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm ... a public forum on a site designed for scanner listeners to enhance and expand the hobby, two guys discussing secret talk groups that no one, but them, knows about. Maybe just don’t post your we have and you don’t treasures.

Sigarmsp226e2

Hmmmm ... a public forum on a site designed for scanner listeners to enhance and expand the hobby, two guys discussing secret talk groups that no one, but them, knows about. Maybe just don’t post your we have and you don’t treasures.

I think they are talking about the super secret squirrel TG 57415 & 57416. on the Columbus City side of things. Lots of talk about the city stuff.

Servius618

Feed Provider
I was wondering, has anyone ever filed a freedom of information act request with the Ohio Department of Administrative Services to release which radios and talk groups are assigned to whom?

I feel like they should have a list of which radios id's went to what departments/agencies and what talk groups are assigned.
We would at least be able to name radios based on agency. This would be helpful with the Trumbull fire ops that have multiple agencies on one talk-group. We could then refine when we hear Rescue 41 or Chief 40. Then we wouldn't have to guess and check.

Should I or someone try this? or would the community frown upon it as drawing to much attention?

sopranosno1

In my opinion if these task forces, detectives, drug units, etc are that paranoid about their precious talk groups showing up on radioreference then they better get another job. I bet there is more police apps on phones out there in criminal hands then scanners sitting next to them in their car or table at home. Are they actually watching radioreference for the super secret talk groups to show up? Do the hard core scanner listeners make these guys that scared?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Hmm. Yeah,l but they are talkgroups anyone could know about if they care to put their scanner in ID Search mode or use a Group Wildcard. If you don't want to do that because you don't want to have to hear everything else on the system, why would you expect somebody else to do it for you, post it, and save you the trouble? The easy fix is to find them yourself with ID Search / Group Wildcard.

Since i moved to Carroll Co I ran a scanner feed (none had ever been active in the county before I moved here). Four years later all law enforcement went encrypted. I'm convinced it was because of my feed. I learned a lesson the hard way.

Same thing applies with the super secret squirrel talkgroups that many people monitor.

mike