IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I am all of a sudden noticing a decent amount of encryption on the Sandusky Dispatch and Ohio T-Pike West Ops channel today. I haven't really seen any encryption from OHSP before so it kinda caught me off guard

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
ran Unitrunker on the Columbus city site for a bit, here are my current unknowns that had voice grants in order from only 1 hit(Top) to over 200 hits on the bottom
57519 was talking about checking ID's to let people play

Code:
61044 seems to be a FCSO group. I think everything I've seen of it has been encrypted. I had to lock it out on my BTT.
61104 & 61099 I have marked as possible southwest fire.
61046 seems to be another FCSO group.
57050 I have tagged as staging for BN1. There was also some sort of surveillance.
57424 is utilities, maybe electric or water I forget now.
57268 I have marked as CPD
57412 us utilities also, not sure which or what
57540 had locution, seemed like had northwest dispatches
57182 had locution, seemed like had southwest dispatches like Franklin Twp
57194 had some radio testing.
57195 was utilities maybe electric
57362 had locution maybe for Whitehall? I must have heard MECC on it though to note that.

I have maybe 20 other IDs as unknown. I've heard some surveillance of cars where someone was following a vehicle calling out its location as if they were watching on CCTV. Giving intersections and direction of travel.

I have a group 59998 logged which is kinda interesting in itself. I know when I use numbers similar to that, it's for testing. Like sometimes I'll use IP addresses x.x.x.253 or 252 or something for something I want to keep way out of DHCP range but too lazy to block out a range of static IPs.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I've never seen the Columbus site not using 859.2125 as the control channel. I was looking up notes in my BTT and suddenly realized, why is it not receiving Columbus? Pull out the SDS100 and sure enough control is on 851.4125.

au1344

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand, they have had interference on 859.2125 and until they figure out what is causing it, they switched CCs. As for the unknown TGs, I have most of those ID'd but I have found it better to leave certain talkgroups unknown as in the case of 57050. I have seen some talkgroups stay in the clear until they show up in the database, then as soon as they do they encrypt.

Chronic

ELYRIA — Lorain County commissioners have agreed to a tower site license agreement between the Board of Commissioners and Ohio Department of Administrative Services Office of Information Technology Multi-Agency Radio Communications.

During a meeting Wednesday morning, County Administrator J.R. White said the contract is for space on a tower where the state wanted to place some equipment for radios.

Assistant Lorain County Prosecutor Dan Petticord said during the meeting that a series of drafts went back and forth between the state and his office, primarily dealing with the range in which the county would place the antenna or receiving device.

Petticord said the county “wanted to retain ultimate discretion about where we were placing both of these, so we batted it across the table a lot.”

There is no money involved, just an agreement with the state, Petticord confirmed when asked by Commissioner Matt Lundy. The contract expires June 30, 2023, with a 30-day cancellation clause. The equipment will go on the county 911 tower.

Lundy and Commissioner Dave Moore voted in favor of the agreement. Commissioner Michelle Hung was ill Wednesday, Moore said, and she was excused from the meeting.

Moore said later Wednesday that the purpose of the agreement is to ensure local safety forces agencies have an antenna they can use if they want to use the Multi-Agency Radio Communication System (MARCS).

Lundy said later Wednesday that having an agreement with the state makes sure the tower is available for communications systems, and ensures the county is in compliance with whatever standards the state has set.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm sure somebody, somewhere has some idea if/when that will happen. But that person may not be on these forums. I don't see it happening anytime in the near future. I think it's probably a ways down the road (years for instance). but I know very little.

you probably should have posted your question in the actual MARCS-IP thread.

Mike

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
It probably won't. The costs involved in upgrading all the sites and user radios are enormous.
Correct. If the switch were to happen, they would start with requiring any new radio added to the system to be P2 capable, and the unit changeover would take upwards 5 years or more (similar to the LLA requirement).

N8WCP

Premium Subscriber
Correct. If the switch were to happen, they would start with requiring any new radio added to the system to be PII capable, and the unit changeover would take upwards 5 years or more (similar to the LLA requirement).

It would be a political sh*t storm if users who just spent $$$ replacing radios for LLA were told they now need to spend more $$$ to add phase 2. I don't know why this question pops up so frequently. Phase 2 only resolves a capacity issue if additional frequencies aren't available and there's no indication that problem exists today.

N8MWY

Premium Subscriber
Sebring PD moving to MARCS

Heard on the Alliance radio station news this morning that Sebring is moving to MARCS and already have their radios. I’m doing an ID search on the Salem site in case I hear anything, but do we have anybody here that might have an in to Sebring or Goshen Twp. PD (dispatched by Sebring) that might know when they are going to start testing?

Don in Stark County

Nasby

I’ve heard that testing will start “very soon” with hopes of Sebring being on MARCs shortly after the new year. I don’t have much time to do any search scans so any help you can give is much appreciated!

N8MWY

Premium Subscriber
Sebring PD moving to MARCS

Heard on the Alliance radio station news this morning that Sebring is moving to MARCS and already have their radios. I’m doing an ID search on the Salem site in case I hear anything, but do we have anybody here that might have an in to Sebring or Goshen Twp. PD (dispatched by Sebring) that might know when they are going to start testing?

Don in Stark County
I’ve heard that testing will start “very soon” with hopes of Sebring being on MARCs shortly after the new year. I don’t have much time to do any search scans so any help you can give is much appreciated!
Sounds good, will definitely post and submit anything definite I hear.

Don

SDS200
BCD536HP
BCD996XT
PRO-2052

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber

ELYRIA — Lorain County commissioners have agreed to a tower site license agreement between the Board of Commissioners and Ohio Department of Administrative Services Office of Information Technology Multi-Agency Radio Communications.

During a meeting Wednesday morning, County Administrator J.R. White said the contract is for space on a tower where the state wanted to place some equipment for radios.

Assistant Lorain County Prosecutor Dan Petticord said during the meeting that a series of drafts went back and forth between the state and his office, primarily dealing with the range in which the county would place the antenna or receiving device.

Petticord said the county “wanted to retain ultimate discretion about where we were placing both of these, so we batted it across the table a lot.”

There is no money involved, just an agreement with the state, Petticord confirmed when asked by Commissioner Matt Lundy. The contract expires June 30, 2023, with a 30-day cancellation clause. The equipment will go on the county 911 tower.

Lundy and Commissioner Dave Moore voted in favor of the agreement. Commissioner Michelle Hung was ill Wednesday, Moore said, and she was excused from the meeting.

Moore said later Wednesday that the purpose of the agreement is to ensure local safety forces agencies have an antenna they can use if they want to use the Multi-Agency Radio Communication System (MARCS).

Lundy said later Wednesday that having an agreement with the state makes sure the tower is available for communications systems, and ensures the county is in compliance with whatever standards the state has set.

I didn't think MARCS ever used an existing tower with any other existing services???

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I didn't think MARCS ever used an existing tower with any other existing services???

MARCS shares towers in a number of places; the City of Columbus site leaps immediately to mind.

al_35

33524,enc. Radio ids started with 54. i thinking its celina pd. Not in the database.

wd8chl

Indeed, the site involved is taking the existing site in Elyria Twp and moving it to the 911 tower next to LCCC. So they're not adding a site, just moving an existing one.