northernsummit

Feed Provider
Looks like the Summit County site is letting non-Summit radios affiliate as of today. So far I've seen a number of out of area talk groups active on the "new" Summit County site.

tripleplay905

Seen almost 30 or so out of area talk groups active today, I'm surprised at how many. I've felt just with agencies within summit the frequency usage was kinda on the high side already at some points.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
I've updated the neighbor list for Summit. I am also unable to get a control channel on either the Akron or Nimisillen sites. Can someone cross-check known neighbors to see if these two have disappeared?

mm68gto

Feed Provider
BCD996T Is there a fix for this digital break down. Some transmission are not Unintelligible? which make listening crappy. Really sad that this new system doesn't work well as the old system that I could hear every work spoken..

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
BCD996T Is there a fix for this digital break down. Some transmission are not Unintelligible? which make listening crappy. Really sad that this new system doesn't work well as the old system that I could hear every work spoken..

Actually, the new system works fine and as intended for the users of the system. The fact that you can't copy it well has no bearing as far as how well the system itself is performing.

There is no "fix" other than to purchase a scanner / device that specifically decodes LSM. The SDS100 does. Unification pagers do. FMPA or FMP24 + DSDPlus does. Pretty much anything else, other than a commercial radio, does not and your hit-or-miss as far as copying an LSM system goes.

There are things people do to try and improve performance of non-LSM scanners when trying to copy an LSM system. The forums here have many many discussions about "simulcast distortion" You should use the search function and read about what some people do to fight "simulcast distortion", as that discussion would apply here.

northernsummit

Feed Provider

I hear it fine with a 996T. Where are you geographically? If you’re talking about Summit County MARCS it’s generally the same exact towers and frequencies as it was when it was the county stand alone P25 and Summit 800mhz. It’s always been a simulcast system.

So did your performance change? You might need to play with P25 adjustments. If you are in fact hearing multiple towers and having LSM issues try simple things like a paper clip for an antenna instead of a whip or outdoor antenna.

If it is LSM one trick that is really useful is you can build a yagi and aim it at one site. I love north of every tower in the county and the yagi I built can be pointed at Richfield or Twinsburg and I hear the control channel, but if I move a little bit closer to south it goes silent until I pick up one of the further south towers. It’s so narrow I am pretty confident I am only hearing one tower.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
My system for LSM monitoring was to install a directional yagi on my roof pointed to my local towers close by the Nutter Center arena in Greene County, and using a Whistler WS-1065 and a Uniden BC536HP to scan in unison but opposite directions - one scanning down and one scanning up, and I didn't miss much. Now and then I added the TRX-1 to that configuration. My SDS100 does a great job all by it's lonesome and I am soon to add the SDS200 to my lineup, so LSM is no longer an issue in my shack :)

JD
kf4anc

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
On my BCD996XT, used for my feed, I use an indoor yagi antenna aimed at a tower to the SE, away from the other towers, which works well most of the time. https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/11208. This antenna also connected to a second scanner receives sites to my SE better as well.

I use a Unication G4 at home and mobile which decodes simulcast sites perfectly, however is not a scanner so only 1 system at a time and no delay or hold, but it works for what I mainly want to hear, and has exceptional DX capability, receiving sites 40+ miles away.

Last edited:

j0atm0n

Premium Subscriber
Marcs site 001-022 Wapakoneta
Add LCN 01-1372 770.58125 as voice channel in the db.
Also
TG 7512 has been active all morning doing " radio checks" on multiple rid's that match and fall in line with rid's of Auglaize county units.
282 tg hits so far ( with familiar voices being heard )

northernsummit

Feed Provider
Some NE Ohio area talk groups I've noticed recently from some automation I have built in Summit County, but I can't definitively tell what these are yet so I've not submitted them. If anyone has better context clues maybe we can figure these out together:

17610 - Starting Feb 2nd I've been hearing occasional Metro Life Flight 7 and 11 on here. I get not radio IDs here for some reason so far but that could be my system acting up.

62832 - Macedonia FD responding to a Northfield Village autoaid call on 2/2 keyed up twice here trying to get ahold of Northfield Village, who is one digit lower at 62831, without success. This isn't a known TG as far as I can tell so I'm wondering if it's an undocumented NVFD fireground or future Macedonia Fire TG reserved. Whatever it is, its programmed in radios MFD has.

40563 - Someone kept calling for 2500 here repeatedly. Last transmission I heard was one in custody. The radio ID was 67 prefixed so its something Portage County.

59724 - Some helicopter saying "comm center, air care" once or twice. Every other 5972x prefix suggests "ODH mutual aid" so I'm not sure what this is yet. No radio ID captured. Maybe a helo on the wrong TG?

54095 - This is something aircraft related. "getting vectors for our last approach" "flight operations from 797" "Cart ops on marcs" - I only heard traffic here off the Summit county system on 1/31 so far and this TG falls in the middle of a bunch of US Marshalls TGs. Maybe USM flight ops?

tripleplay905

northernsummit do you log just the Summit simulcast or the Stark simulcast too? I have a feeling you have all the info I'm about to say already :p

17610 all i got was 1 RID so far, 1891734.

Interesting a Macedonia unit finally shows up on MARCS...

40563 both radio IDs seen on that tg have been on StreetsboroWindham PD Dispatch, TG 40541. RID 6790577 was on 40563 just before and after transmitting on TG 40541.

59724 RID of that transmission was 7790138. that RID shows up plenty on Akron Children's Hospital Air Bear Dispatch, TG 59839. Also the transmission from that RID on 59839, just after 59724, he was describing possible radio issues, I'm thinking he was on the wrong channel.

54095 the two RIDs I have from that TG also show up on Ohio National Guard, TG 54039, during same time frame.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
northernsummit do you log just the Summit simulcast or the Stark simulcast too? I have a feeling you have all the info I'm about to say already :p

I've been watching the Summit control channel since they started moving off the 800mhz system and I get an email any time there is a new talk group on the system. With the opening up of Summit to non-local (77 prefix) radios I've been seeing a lot of undefined MARCS TGs suddenly.

Interesting a Macedonia unit finally shows up on MARCS...

I don't know who lent it to them or if they bought some but I've heard Macedonia Fire show up on 800 when responding to Twinsburg or Northfield Village fires looking for staging info, then they get out of the vehicles. I am looking forward to the day that those three departments embrace MAC channels.