mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Looks like the Millersport site is up within the last hour.
Control traffic on 772.54375 and starting to pick up TGs.
Looks like secondary control is 771.99375.

If you know what hte secondary control channel is, then you are using software to monitor it. Please post a screenshot of all of hte details that your software (DSDplus, Unitrunker, Pro96Com) may show regarding this site.

Thanks!

Mike

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I stopped by there Monday and they were still hooking up electronics and debugging the system. There was still no fuel source yet for the backup generator (propane or natural gas) so I wasn't sure if they would bring it up yet.
I think the Talk Groups will be the same as the Lancaster site. It is Location 15.

jjbllitz

Premium Subscriber
Voice frequencies on the Millersport site so far, just as licensed and mentioned previously:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Voice frequencies on the Millersport site so far, just as licensed and mentioned previously:

I realize they were mentioned previously, but we don't just add all freqs from license without confirmation. So these all are confirmed active based upon your monitoring?

Mike

jjbllitz

Premium Subscriber
I realize they were mentioned previously, but we don't just add all freqs from license without confirmation. So these all are confirmed active based upon your monitoring?
Yes, those are the frequencies that I was seeing they were using yesterday. I haven't checked today to see if there were any others. I'm using SDRTrunk, so I don't have to program those frequencies.

jjbllitz

Premium Subscriber
One thing I'm noticing on the Millersport site. They seem to be denying registrations for many of the Licking Co TGs. Is that common practice?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Next step is to figure out what other agencies associate with that site. OSP Lancaster, Pickerington PD, Violet Fire and others, etc.
One thing I'm noticing on the Millersport site. They seem to be denying registrations for many of the Licking Co TGs. Is that common practice?

I was reading something the other day which indicated MARCS is the now the largest statewide system in the country, but at the same time is also the largest system in the country which still allows unrestricted statewide roaming by most users. There is a new statewide roaming policy in effect but it's being rolled out very slowly.

In line with the new statewide roaming policy, it's possible that you'll only see talkgroups for areas immediately adjacent to the tower. The new policy is that local talkgroups may roam within the home county and adjacent counties only, but there will be some tweaking of that; for example, Newark PD probably doesn't need and wouldn't have access to the tower.

If an agency is located within Fairfield County you can bet they'll have access (maybe not the prison, though). Violet Fire is a toss-up; since they use the MEC Center talkgroups which are based on the Columbus City site, they may not have access unless one specific talkgroup is so designated in order to limit unnecessary roaming (for example, a fire in Plain Twp really doesn't need to be roaming to the Millersport tower).

Last edited:

jjbllitz

Premium Subscriber
It is kind of interesting. I've seen Perry, Hocking, and Muskingum, and the prison TG's. Whitehall PD was coming up a lot yesterday for some reason. And last night saw a Paulding Co OSP TG on there. Haven't seen any of the MECC TG's yet when I've been watching.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
It is kind of interesting. I've seen Perry, Hocking, and Muskingum, and the prison TG's. Whitehall PD was coming up a lot yesterday for some reason. And last night saw a Paulding Co OSP TG on there. Haven't seen any of the MECC TG's yet when I've been watching.

Hence the need for the new roaming policy. Whitehall PD really doesn't need to be using the Millersport tower, much less Paulding Co SO. The others actually do make sense (Hocking and Muskingum might be stretching it a bit).

gtaman

Hence the need for the new roaming policy. Whitehall PD really doesn't need to be using the Millersport tower, much less Paulding Co SO. The others actually do make sense (Hocking and Muskingum might be stretching it a bit).

Darn I wouldn’t be able to hear Cleveland talkgroups in Columbus anymore :) Columbus needs a roaming policy a lot of prison talkgroups are taking up airtime from 5 counties away.

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
I hear Van Wert County Sheriff transport units taking juvenile prisoners to and from Troy frequently, and taking adult prisoners to other facilities. Units from jurisdictions all over the state hit the Middle Point MARCS tower when picking up prisoners being held by Van Wert County on warrants from their respective counties. These units clearly need roaming capabilities for officer safety.

ohiodesperado

Mike
Your kidding right? If a license gets filed they are going to use the frequencies at that site. I am really thinking the guy at MARCS has his crap together a bit better than most as far as filing a license and getting the right stuff on it. And there are those of us on here that actually would KNOW what frequencies are going on a tower.... Ask Tom why... tell him I said it and he will explain it to you

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Your kidding right? If a license gets filed they are going to use the frequencies at that site. I am really thinking the guy at MARCS has his crap together a bit better than most as far as filing a license and getting the right stuff on it. And there are those of us on here that actually would KNOW what frequencies are going on a tower.... Ask Tom why... tell him I said it and he will explain it to you

Don't be jumping down my throat. I'm just following policy. You don't have to like it, but there is also no need to give me grief about it.

We simply don't just throw every licensed freq for a location into the database.

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
Rules are rules the admins just follow them. If you don't agree with them then bring it up with Lindsey

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I hear Van Wert County Sheriff transport units taking juvenile prisoners to and from Troy frequently, and taking adult prisoners to other facilities. Units from jurisdictions all over the state hit the Middle Point MARCS tower when picking up prisoners being held by Van Wert County on warrants from their respective counties. These units clearly need roaming capabilities for officer safety.

But they're supposed to be using something other than dispatch to do it (like their XSO-nn talkgroup); the problem is that using regular operations talkgroups drags all that regular traffic with it and causes busy signals for the agencies who legitimately need a particular tower for their local coverage; that hinders their officer safety.