tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
It’s really screwy. So the Stark Site in the RR database shows a radius that reaches just north of the Forest Hill neighborhood. So enabling your SDS100 range of 5 miles at the center of your zip code would create overlap between your zip code radio range and the RRDB site range.

They kinda sorta go into here, but it’s still not the best answer.

By that thinking I’m also curious if it gives you the Geauga Simulcast in your “range”?
I wouldn't be surprised if you still get some Stark while scanning only Summit.

I don't use location control and there are at least six sites in the Tuscarawas County simulcast cell and my display shows the Tuscarawas County site for everything I hear including neighboring countries that have their own sites and are on avoid.

Thank you both! I take it the only way to manage this on the full Marcs list would be GPS and range of 0.0? Just waiting in the cable.....

My intermediate fix was to make another list and remove everything but summit county (sites and departments) and that really cut down on the scan times and unimportant mess going on in Cleveland.

GregOH

Thank you both! I take it the only way to manage this on the full Marcs list would be GPS and range of 0.0? Just waiting in the cable.....

My intermediate fix was to make another list and remove everything but summit county (sites and departments) and that really cut down on the scan times and unimportant mess going on in Cleveland.
Put your county on Site Hold mode and see what ya get with that and if anything comes across you don't want to hear press avoid. That's what I do to reduce the clutter.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This may be a stupid question, but I got my SDS100 last night. I threw Ohio Marcs IP has a favorite list in it, turned the favorite on, and put in my zip 44223 plus a range of 5 miles. I'm 7.5' miles from the nearest Cuyahoga County tower in Richfield.

I noticed last night, in the "Site Name" space under the department it kept scanning for Cuyahoga County as well as Stark and some others. I figured, ok, I'm within the range of the Richfield tower, but what is up with Stark showing up? Is this normal?

I "fixed" it by making a home favorite list and actually removing all sites but Summit, but I'm trying to understand how it is supposed to work.

Your scanner is attempting to scan those other sites because the range circles of the sites and the range you've selected on your radio intersect with each other (a Venn Diagram is a perfect illustration of what that looks like). Best way to avoid that is to set the range on your scanner to zero, so you're only scanning sites you're actually within the coverage circle of.

The solution you chose is actually the best solution; you have maximum control over what you're scanning that way.

I don't use location control and there are at least six sites in the Tuscarawas County simulcast cell and my display shows the Tuscarawas County site for everything I hear including neighboring countries that have their own sites and are on avoid.

The towers in the Tuscarawas simulcast cell (there are actually seven) all broadcast the same traffic on the same frequencies at the same time. The reason you're hearing other counties on that site is because the TusCo simulcast site replaced all of the former stand-alone sites, and all MARCS traffic from adjacent counties can use it (as can anybody who is just rambling through the county).

phask

Premium Subscriber

There is no reason to need a GPS unless this is mobile. In a fixed location just input your location manually.

Actually, if always scanning from that fixed location, don't use location and edit your fav. lists for just what you want to scan.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Your scanner is attempting to scan those other sites because the range circles of the sites and the range you've selected on your radio intersect with each other (a Venn Diagram is a perfect illustration of what that looks like). Best way to avoid that is to set the range on your scanner to zero, so you're only scanning sites you're actually within the coverage circle of.

The solution you chose is actually the best solution; you have maximum control over what you're scanning that way.
I guess I didn't look at the published circles for Stark, I didn't think I had to since it's so far away.

There is no reason to need a GPS unless this is mobile. In a fixed location just input your location manually.

Actually, if always scanning from that fixed location, don't use location and edit your fav. lists for just what you want to scan.
I did it this way to get started. Realized for home, where I don't need much outside my home town, that I'd really like to cut way back. I also do a ton of driving, and the GPS is to not mess with favorites for every trip, but I see there is so much overlap, it may not work as well as I had been lead to believe.

GregOH

I guess I didn't look at the published circles for Stark, I didn't think I had to since it's so far away.

I did it this way to get started. Realized for home, where I don't need much outside my home town, that I'd really like to cut way back. I also do a ton of driving, and the GPS is to not mess with favorites for every trip, but I see there is so much overlap, it may not work as well as I had been lead to believe.
Not sure if you've seen this thread, but it may be helpful

GregOH

We elected a new Sheriff in town and below is his press release:

THE MARION COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
100 EXECUTIVE DRIVE
MARION, OHIO 43302
PHONE 740-382-8244 FACSIMILE 740-387-1067
MATT BAYLES BILL COLLINS
SHERIFF CHIEF DEPUTY
Press Release Date: 02/05/2021
Sheriff’s Office Unencrypts Main Radio Channel
Moving to goal of true Community Policing
The Marion County Sheriff’s Office has unencrypted the main radio channel so people with scanners can now know what is going on in their community.
“I think that people have the right to know for their and their family’s safety and to help law enforcement fight crime in their neighborhood” stated Sheriff Matt Bayles.
“One of the biggest weapons that law enforcement has against crime are the eyes and ears of the residents in the community. I can’t tell you how many times we have had foot chases with suspects, where people with scanners call in and give us information after seeing the suspect running, that has then led to the capture of that suspect.”
“If we have an operation going on or we feel that suspects have scanners for some reason, we have the ability to change to a tactical channel or dispatch can send information
directly to the deputies’ computers to keep the information private. There is no reason to keep our citizens in the dark about what is going on in their neighborhoods”
Sheriff Matt Bayles
NR: 21-

TGID 32005 can now be marked in the clear!

Sincerely,

Betaman
Wish Tusc CO Sheriff would do the same. After what happened here last night, we have the need to know.

a388sig2

TG 54122

UID:9402627 referred to TG54122 as "Tac 1", before switching off TG 54568 XLECOM16.

Wondering if it's US Marshals Tac 1 for the Cleveland Area?
TG 54072 is already in the RRDB listed as Tac 1, any information on TG 54122 would be helpful.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
TG 54122

UID:9402627 referred to TG54122 as "Tac 1", before switching off TG 54568 XLECOM16.

Wondering if it's US Marshals Tac 1 for the Cleveland Area?
TG 54072 is already in the RRDB listed as Tac 1, any information on TG 54122 would be helpful.

I believe it's DEA. Always been ENC for me though.

west-pac

57263 popped up on Columbus city site but is ENC so no clue what it is

If you're able to document the Radio ID numbers, you could cross reference that with Radio IDs on other, known TGs. You might be able to figure out which dept/agency is using 57263 that way.

gtaman

Couple talk groups I’ve logged. I don’t think I’ve posted these. I apologize if some of these have been named.

61192 Comm center calling. User was on wrong channel

61196 custodial cmh ?

57188 col city all stations this Net this is a nightly test locution

57497 unknown cpd units

57495 cpd units

57424 Dpw? Naming floor numbers

57420 dpw security

57264 unknown encrypted

57194 breaker 1 calling comm

57218 CPD

57268 unknown

61242 (Animal Control)

61197 LCK air maint ?

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Couple talk groups I’ve logged. I don’t think I’ve posted these. I apologize if some of these have been named.

57540 I heard Locution with a dispatch for engine 101 and I think EMS 12. Wonder if that's a backup TG for COIRS?

57493 Also hearing CPD units. Maybe surveillance, auto squad?

57166 Fire. They were cancelling medic 27. Then heard medic 27 call in on EMS Ops 1 cancelled.

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
Would like to know if any one on here has a more complete list of RIDs for the Southwest Ohio area?

Specifically, looking for any of the three-letter alphabet agencies, and, want to use it to narrow down a few of the newer/unknown Talkgroups on my Unitrunker Database....

I have already imported from RadioReference, and, I have already checked the WIKI....(matter of fact, I added some too the WIKI from my own List)...