west-pac

Great point. I would wager that 90% of MARCS users (especially public safety personnel) have no clue how to even change zones on their radios.

While we (here on RR) geek out about radios (because that's what this website is all about), you have to remember, to some radio users, a radio is just one of their many tools in their arsenal to help complete their assigned task.

While we can discuss frequencies, simulcast cells, and antenna wavelengths, many of those radio users just 'want the d*mn thing to work'. They couldn't care less that they have 90+ 'channels' in their radio, when they only use 4 of them regularly.

N8WCP

Premium Subscriber
I noticed I was apparently not hearing the freeway patrols for Summit County as of recent. I agree, this makes zero sense. I don’t think those trucks are in danger from the “bad guys” .

The trucks in Summit only cover the Akron area and are dispatch on APD Dispatch 1 which is encrypted.

Roadrunner0

The trucks in Summit only cover the Akron area and are dispatch on APD Dispatch 1 which is encrypted.
Sounds like phase 2+ as I believe they usually test the new encrypted system for 100% function using non emergency departments before handing it over to the mission critical first responders.. Geauga County seems to be silent at times and my son in law who is a police officer in Chardon and also Orwell in Ashtabula county which use the MARCS system have been being encouraged to use the in squad terminals that have voice over IP and text messaging to basically chat with dispatchers dealing with some call details.. It will be a bummer when MARCS goes full spread spectrum encryption sometime in the future.. Phase 3 with live in vehicle and body cam streaming is still a ways off as that will run on 5g-6g nodes that do not exist yet..

Roadrunner0

While we (here on RR) geek out about radios (because that's what this website is all about), you have to remember, to some radio users, a radio is just one of their many tools in their arsenal to help complete their assigned task.

While we can discuss frequencies, simulcast cells, and antenna wavelengths, many of those radio users just 'want the d*mn thing to work'. They couldn't care less that they have 90+ 'channels' in their radio, when they only use 4 of them regularly.
The beauty of the new smart radios when they are physed in is that dispatch with the click of a mouse can move your radio to link with any other so the basic operator does not have to know all that basically making channels, talk groups and frequencies a thing of the past.. Not sure on the funding or time tables to implement newer gear into the systems but as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow eventually it will be.. If OHP wants to talk to a road crew in their zone they call aux dispatch and that dispatcher can locate via GPS mapping an unknown vehicle , click on it and they are linked with the new system and radios.. With the old radios they do still have to select the talk group but the OHP officers are well trained.. Some 2+ terminals have this ability right in the patrol car almost like the Land Warrior system that the military uses.. I am a radio geek N8QWS and I know just enough about the new gear to get myself in trouble but am certainly no "expert"..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
No time soon. Video streaming uses an incredible amount of bandwidth that LMR systems do not have, thus would need to be shifted to another topology (like FirstNet). Trunked voice radio is already quasi-spread spectrum, but due to the nature of one-to-many conversation where anyone in the group needs the ability to join mid-message, true spread spectrum efficiency (not necessary for security) is a ways off. The next big change in PS LMR will probably be security related changes in the link layer, also a bit off in the future.

N8WCP

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like phase 2+ as I believe they usually test the new encrypted system for 100% function using non emergency departments before handing it over to the mission critical first responders.. Geauga County seems to be silent at times and my son in law who is a police officer in Chardon and also Orwell in Ashtabula county which use the MARCS system have been being encouraged to use the in squad terminals that have voice over IP and text messaging to basically chat with dispatchers dealing with some call details.. It will be a bummer when MARCS goes full spread spectrum encryption sometime in the future.. Phase 3 with live in vehicle and body cam streaming is still a ways off as that will run on 5g-6g nodes that do not exist yet..
Phase 2+, no such animal. MARCS is Phase 1 with no plans to move to Phase 2. Akron PD and FD utilize AES encryption and that's why you don't hear their traffic.

Roadrunner0

No time soon. Video streaming uses an incredible amount of bandwidth that LMR systems do not have, thus would need to be shifted to another topology (like FirstNet). Trunked voice radio is already quasi-spread spectrum, but due to the nature of one-to-many conversation where anyone in the group needs the ability to join mid-message, true spread spectrum efficiency (not necessary for security) is a ways off. The next big change in PS LMR will probably be security related changes in the link layer, also a bit off in the future.
From what I have read they would use the 5g infrastructure and I have also seen a few proposals for a 6g standard sometime down the road which also integrates satellites.. The military already uses on a limited basis the Land Warrior system which is kind of what they are dreaming of for police and fire in the distant future..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
From what I have read they would use the 5g infrastructure and I have also seen a few proposals for a 6g standard sometime down the road which also integrates satellites.. The military already uses on a limited basis the Land Warrior system which is kind of what they are dreaming of for police and fire in the distant future..
But "5G/6G" is separate system from LMR: different bandwidth (aka broadband vs narrowband,) different frequency set, etc. The military isn't (as) constrained with what it can do spectrumwise. In fact, mil users are equipped with a lot of LMR gear and systems because they work. ATT is / was pushing PPT over FirstNet (aka broadband), but it's not gaining traction because it's not a good idea.

KQA726

Are you sure about no Phase II on MARCS? Looks like the FCC just licensed Bowling Green/Wood County with Phase 2 system? That would not be good at this juncture?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
It would double the amount of traffic possible, but I doubt that more than half the equipment being used currently is P25P2 capable, though it might make sense to tie the move over to the LLA requirements.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Are you sure about no Phase II on MARCS? Looks like the FCC just licensed Bowling Green/Wood County with Phase 2 system? That would not be good at this juncture?

Unless something has changed very recently Phase II isn't in the plans. The system itself would require expensive upgrades as would all of the sites and most subscriber units (many thousands of subscriber units).

It makes sense to put in all of the emission codes you might need when you license the site just to cover the bases, even if you don't plan to use them, and most of the new sites I've seen lately have multiple emission codes licensed. Few if any of the sites which have been around awhile are licensed for Phase II emissions. Since adding emissions requires re-coordination, the state would be looking at a pretty sizeable chunk of money to update those licenses, in addition to the very large cost to update the system, sites and subscriber units.

Last edited:

DS506

Premium Subscriber
Do you think they will move to MARCS?

Cut and pasted from WFMJ News

Mahoning County Fire Chiefs Association announces receipt of largest AFG grant in Mahoning County
The Mahoning County Fire Chiefs Association has announced the receipt of a federal AFG grant in the amount of $1,676,436.36 on Monday, Sept. 13. This is the largest AFG grant ever awarded in Mahoning County.
Monday, September 13th 2021, 5:36 PM EDT
By Zach Mosca

The Mahoning County Fire Chiefs Association has announced the receipt of a federal AFG grant in the amount of $1,676,436.36 on Monday, Sept. 13. This is the largest AFG grant ever awarded in Mahoning County.

The Western Reserve Joint Fire District in Poland serves as the grant administrator.

The grant will be shared and will directly benefit the communities of Austintown, Berlin, Boardman, Campbell, Canfield, Coitsville, Craig Beach, Ellsworth, Green, Jackson, Lowellville, New Middletown, Springfield, Poland and Struthers.

The grant will permit fire departments to purchase 419 portable radios, 92 mobile radios for vehicles and 31 base radios for fire stations. The grant also includes the cost of installation fees.

This grant will ensure the safety of firefighters in the Mahoning Valley by promoting communication interoperability and is compliant with the Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan.

The Fire Chiefs extended their gratitude to Congressmen Bill Johnson and Tim Ryan along with Senator Sherrod Brown for their support of this grant. Tim Ryan says he's proud to support firefighters in the Mahoning Valley and will continue to advocate for increased funding for local fire departments.

"I am proud to support our firefighters and help provide the resources to ensure that they are safe and well-equipped as they work hard to protect the lives of our family and friends," Ryan said.

The Chiefs say that their next step will be seeking funding for the local match from the Mahoning County Commissioners. Fire Chiefs Association President, Mark Pitzer says the chiefs believe that Mahoning County can utilize ARP/CARES Act funding for this project, which will improve the delivery of emergency and rescue services throughout the county.

Last edited by a moderator:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Do you think they will move to MARCS?

Cut and pasted from WFMJ News

Monday, September 13th 2021, 5:36 PM EDT
By Zach Mosca

My bet is no. Austintown and Boardman are already running their own P25 trunked system, which is in use by those two as well as Youngstown, the Sheriff and some other police departments (including many villages and townships whose fire departments are on that grant recipient list); that being the case I'm willing to bet they all go to the A/B system.

The selling point for getting the grant was almost certainly getting everybody moved over to the A/B system so they can talk to each other, plus interoperability with MARCS.

Last edited:

DS506

Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE PSR-310 and ARC 310 software. While I think I have analog down pretty well, I have not had much luck programming for trunking. Anybody able to send me a file for the Austintown/Boardman system (and maybe MARCs) in the Mahoning county area?

au1344

Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE PSR-310 and ARC 310 software. While I think I have analog down pretty well, I have not had much luck programming for trunking. Anybody able to send me a file for the Austintown/Boardman system (and maybe MARCs) in the Mahoning county area?
The PSR-310 will not do digital voice. You would need a digital scanner to pick up MARCS or the A/B system.

DS506

Premium Subscriber
The PSR-310 will not do digital voice. You would need a digital scanner to pick up MARCS or the A/B system.

Well then I guess my fall project will be expanding my knowledge with the RTL-SDR and moving beyond just SDR#. Should I download SDR Trunk?