MARCS- Natural Resources scrambled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w8crz

Premium Subscriber
Im using a BCD396t. I have been picking up the TGID 48464 Natural resources but it is a garbled talking. Cant understand anything. I pickup OSP and other stuff on there fine. Is it just the signal is weak but it shouldn't be since its all coming from the same tower.
Thanks in adavnce

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Yep, that's what the E (encrypted) stands for in the database.

3280 0cd E CEN DNR Central operations

w8crz

Premium Subscriber
Oh so I can't hear it? Meaning my scanner is not capable.
Thanks for the quick reply.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Correct, you cannot hear it on any scanner available now - or ever.

hoser147

You will occasionally get traffic from mobile units, with Columbus or mobile to mobile. If you live by a park, there local traffic is often on the maintenance talkgroups which are in the open. Hope this helps ya.

Edit: Also the Wildlife officers receive alot of their local calls thru the county Sheriffs office, and most of that traffic is on the SO Mutual Aid talkgroup for the county they are working in..

Last edited:

cfr301

I've been listening to Wildlife officers in the clear last few days, there are times when they are encrypted and times when they are not. Depends on what they are doing.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Correct, you cannot hear it on any scanner available now - or ever.

Not correct. If they turn off the encryption it could be monitored just like any other talkgroup.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not correct. If they turn off the encryption it could be monitored just like any other talkgroup.

Not correct. Checking the OP, he asked if it was a signal issue preventing him from hearing. It's not, it's because the comms are encrypted.

If they are broadcast in the clear, then he would be able to hear them just like any other clear talkgroup.

But the fact that the database here lists them strictly as "E" would indicate that they rarely (if ever) are not encrypted. Otherwise I'd imagine someone in Ohio would have noticed by now and fixed the database ;)

w8crz

Premium Subscriber
I honestly didnt even pay attention that they had the E. I was thinking it was my programming. I find out that had I read everything completely before asking I could have figured it out myself. Thanks all for not calling me a dumba**

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
But the fact that the database here lists them strictly as "E" would indicate that they rarely (if ever) are not encrypted.
Except cfr301 and hoser are telling us otherwise, based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE. :roll:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for not calling me a dumba**

Nobody's in to "name call" here - we're just around to help.

Except cfr301 and hoser are telling us otherwise, based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.

Sorry - maybe they edited their reply after I posted. I did not see them indicate ACTUAL EXPERIENCE that TG48464 is broadcast in the clear often.

I do know that they are aware of the database, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them has the power to quite easily change the E to a D if there's an error :)

Last edited:

cfr301

Not correct. Checking the OP, he asked if it was a signal issue preventing him from hearing. It's not, it's because the comms are encrypted.

If they are broadcast in the clear, then he would be able to hear them just like any other clear talkgroup.

But the fact that the database here lists them strictly as "E" would indicate that they rarely (if ever) are not encrypted. Otherwise I'd imagine someone in Ohio would have noticed by now and fixed the database ;)
So your saying that the two Division of Wildlife officers I heard talking about walking along the river today looking for a hunter in a tree stand then running his license information were a figment of my imagination on the S/W calling TG. Ok I got it thanks rdale I'll be seeking a shrink Monday! I'll erase my log to because those talk groups been logging since Monday but since you have pointed out that can't be happening I must be receiving illegal encrypted data thats coming through my specially equipped Pro 197. This is so cool!

rdale

Premium Subscriber
So your saying that the two Division of Wildlife officers I heard talking about walking along the river today looking for a hunter in a tree stand then running his license information were a figment of my imagination on the S/W calling TG.

Not sure what you're saying... The database says "E" - which means anyone that has heard voice in the clear never bothered to submit that to the database. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying it appears nobody took the time to update the DB.

Also you mentioned S/W calling, but the OP is asking about CALL SE. Are you listening to the same talkgroup he's referring to? If so - why do you think he's not hearing anything but screech, while you are? I don't think he has a programming issue, but since you're hearing it then I'll drop out and let you help him from here.

cfr301

Not sure what you're saying... The database says "E" - which means anyone that has heard voice in the clear never bothered to submit that to the database. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying it appears nobody took the time to update the DB.

Also you mentioned S/W calling, but the OP is asking about CALL SE. Are you listening to the same talkgroup he's referring to? If so - why do you think he's not hearing anything but screech, while you are? I don't think he has a programming issue, but since you're hearing it then I'll drop out and let you help him from here.

I am SURE hes listening on a diff TG than I am given that hes on the other side of the state!

YOU said in your reply that ODNR MARCS is almost never Unencrypted, I merely mentioned that I've been hearing the m all week, some on N/W Calling Tg but mostly on S/W tg and you apparently know more about what I'm hearing than I do. I believe the OP is Hearing Encryption, I was merely refuting you absolute answer given what I have heard this week. NOTE. This WEEK is the first I've heard ANY ODNR Rangers other than on SO Mutual aide freq, I caught them using a wildcard scan.

Rick

rdale

Premium Subscriber
YOU said in your reply that ODNR MARCS is almost never Unencrypted

Read again - I said the database lists them as E which would indicate they are almost never unencrypted.

Since he was asking just about CALL SE, which based on the screeching is encrypted, I was addressing his situation first and foremost. Sorry if that confused you, I was just answering his question, and not necessarily speaking for every DNR radio used in the state.

hoser147

I don't see the E going anywhere, but its always worth an open ear, as Tom referred to in post 7...........With the deer guns season in full swing as of Monday, there has been plenty of traffic. You may keep getting it, or it could stop tomorrow. I have heard traffic on SW calling and NW calling. From Williams Co. and Columbus, well to the South. Ive also heard my fair share of screachin.;) Literally tons of trespass, group hunting calls even one where they were using dogs (which is a no-no here). Who knows why could be plenty of reasons, for it, I suspect its a mutual aid type thing, so the officers can get backup more readily, other than sending everything thru HQ and back.

hoser147

Not to get off topic, but on another note, I did hear a Watercraft unit call in from the Ohio River yesterday, they were doing some sort of joint operation with Kentucky.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Yes, they do on rare occasions broadcast in the clear. I have heard them in the clear myself.
That being said, the ratio of encrypted to clear use is not enough to justify changing the mode
indicator from "E" to "D". If one wishes to monitor it and catches something in the clear then
enjoy the occasion.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
That being said, the ratio of encrypted to clear use is not enough to justify changing the mode
indicator from "E" to "D". If one wishes to monitor it and catches something in the clear then
enjoy the occasion.
Bingo, thank you. I thought this was obvious, but apparently only to buckeyes.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Yes, they do on rare occasions broadcast in the clear.

I thought this was obvious, but apparently only to buckeyes.

I think that's what I said?

But the fact that the database here lists them strictly as "E" would indicate that they rarely (if ever) are not encrypted.

Sorry if that confused you. I'd make a personal joke about being a Buckeye, but I'm from Ohio so won't stoop that low :)

Status
Not open for further replies.