MARCS Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Is MARCS a simulcast system? Here in Worthington I get choppy audio that cuts in and out much like it would on a simulcast P25 system. I have the Columbus site programmed in, which gives somewhat choppy audio. Since I live near the Delaware County line, I deleted the Columbus frequencies and tried the Delaware site frequencies and the reception is slightly worse. Does anyone else have this problem with MARCS? I am using a PSR-500, and I've experimented with the Multi-Site feature and I still get the same problems, however the reception is at its "best" when the feature is turned off.

Last edited:

ibagli

The Columbus site is simulcast. I don't think any others are. Multi-site shouldn't affect the quality of the digital decoding, though.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
You shouldn't have a problem picking up the Delaware site unless you have a marginal signal from the Delaware site or you have interference on one or more of the voice channels associated with the Delaware site. I've only had the occasion to monitor the Columbus simulcast and the Delaware site on two occasions, but you likely won't be hearing all the same traffic on Delaware that you would hear on the Columbus simulcast.

I don't remember ever having a problem monitoring the Columbus simulcast site, at least not when coming in from the west on 70 all the way into 6th st near 71. I'm sure listeners are exposed to simulcast distortion, but I've never had a problem.

Your PSR could also be suffering from some overload on 800 mhz that might cause reception problems for certain frequencies you are trying to monitor . I don't know how close you are to any 800 mhz transmitters, but it's always a possibility. It has a hot front end but does poorly in a high RF environment.

If you get a signal on the Columbus simulcast that is full strengh, you might try setting that system up with the ATT ON. If you still get significant signal strength from Columbus simulcast with the attenuator on but you can decode better, it was probably an overload issue. Otherwise, if you still experience the problem with the attenuator on, you probably are suffering the effects of simulcast distortion or may have something other raunchy interference on one or more of the voice channels.

Mike

Last edited:

cfr301

I had a problem here in Wapakoneta of being less than a mile from the Wapak Marcs Tower, It was suggested that I set Att on that tower. I did and presto my receive issues cleared right up. Could you be having the same issue?

Rick

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the insight guys. Although it's not part of MARCS, I do live less than a mile from one of the towers for the Columbus 800MHz site, so that could be part of the problem. I will try it with the ATT on later today, and check my results. I have noticed when I'm in downtown Columbus, the reception is perfect so it could be my distance from the site that is causing the problem too.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Well I've been using the ATT and doing so has greatly improved the problem. Thanks to all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.