MARCS - Technical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if sites do a nightly re-boot, transmitter change, etc?

I know some trunking sites will have multiple transmitters and will rotate through them as well as some change control channels.

Reason I ask is I've been experimenting with settings and one radio was receiving poorly, next am it was fine, and remains OK.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Anyone know if sites do a nightly re-boot, transmitter change, etc?

I know some trunking sites will have multiple transmitters and will rotate through them as well as some change control channels.

Reason I ask is I've been experimenting with settings and one radio was receiving poorly, next am it was fine, and remains OK.

Historically, as a general rule, all MARCS (and MARCS-IP) sites have two control channels, a primary and an alternate. Exceptions are (a) some [if not all] simulcast cells and (b) possibly some correctional institution sites.

On the normal sites with a primary/alt control channel, unless there is an issue or they are testing, the control channel does not change -- there is no daily/weekly/monthly control channel rotation on the typical MARCS / MARCS-IP site.

Mike

phask

Premium Subscriber
Understand, and that is what I thought - but is are there multiple transmitters per site? Or can/do the radios re-boot ?

Just curious.

Historically, as a general rule, all MARCS (and MARCS-IP) sites have two control channels, a primary and an alternate. Exceptions are (a) some [if not all] simulcast cells and (b) possibly some correctional institution sites.

On the normal sites with a primary/alt control channel, unless there is an issue or they are testing, the control channel does not change -- there is no daily/weekly/monthly control channel rotation on the typical MARCS / MARCS-IP site.

Mike

jasonhouk

As for the Marion site I have only seen the CC change to the AC when there was a transmitter issue with the CC LCN.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Understand, and that is what I thought - but is are there multiple transmitters per site? Or can/do the radios re-boot ?

Just curious.

Yes, there are multiple transmitters per site. One for each active frequency in the trunked system. At many [if not most or all] MARCS-IP sites, they have preconfigured 6-transmitter setups. Of course, quite a number of the sites likely do not have all six transmitters active as not all sites seem to have 6 frequencies at this time.

I am hardware-clueless when it comes to any trunked system [read: no firsthand experience]. I am quite sure radios can be power cycled. The site controller can be rebooted. When I've actually been listening to a control channel when a site controller was rebooted (on a Moto Type II system), I heard the transmitter of the control channel transmitting "dead air" while the site controller was rebooted -- then, when done, the actual control channel data started to be transmitted again.

I'm sure there are all kinds of possibilities/combinations of things that can occur -- power cycle a transmitter, reboot a site controller, etc, etc.

Mike

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Mike

Even on a simulcast site, there will be primary and alternate control channels, when the control channel switches frequencies, ALL sites that are part of the simulcast cell will change too. While not P25/Motorola type 2, my cities EDACS system is a 4 site, 20 channel simulcast system, all site have the same RF channels, and when one CC changes all sites change at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Just curious.

The radios do not "reboot" automatically. If it's done it usually has to be done manually.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Even on a simulcast site, there will be primary and alternate control channels, when the control channel switches frequencies, ALL sites that are part of the simulcast cell will change too. While not P25/Motorola type 2, my cities EDACS system is a 4 site, 20 channel simulcast system, all site have the same RF channels, and when one CC changes all sites change at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I missing something here? I am speaking specifically about MARCS and not all trunked systems, since the OP asked about MARCS.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.