MARCS to MARCS-IP Switchover Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what will happen to the current MARCS sites when agencies switch to the MARCS-IP systems? I feel the current sites could be useful if kept. Just my opinion

ctpd845

Feed Provider
The current MARCS system will be shut off after the transition. The frequencies from the old MARCS system will then be used on the MARCS-IP system.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The current MARCS system will be shut off after the transition. The frequencies from the old MARCS system will then be used on the MARCS-IP system.

And the current MARCS 3.5 sites are the same for the P25 system, although some new sites have been added.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
As you refer to the 800 MHz cc, it's either Lake or Geauga simulcast sites. I hear westcom dispatch all the time on the Lake site. Never was sure why there was relevance here in Lake county but all it takes is one radio to affiliate and steer that radio traffic to that site.

steveng

Premium Subscriber
North Olmsted had a fire yesterday afternoon and i was hearing them on the 800 during the entire incident. Also hearing them now on 800Mhz while i am typing this reply. Not just North Olmsted but all Westcom Cities.

I used to hear them occasionally on the 800 but nothing like the past 24 hours.

budevans

North Olmsted had a fire yesterday afternoon and i was hearing them on the 800 during the entire incident. Also hearing them now on 800Mhz while i am typing this reply. Not just North Olmsted but all Westcom Cities.

I used to hear them occasionally on the 800 but nothing like the past 24 hours.

It might just be unusually good propagation do to the weather change. The West Shore communities have a straight shot a cross the lake to the Wickliffe tower. Give it a week, let's see if the traffic continues.

FYI, the first reports for the Cuyahoga County MARCS-IP 700 Mhz system came from the Detroit area. Those signals came from the Mayfield Hts (Wilson Mills Road at SOM) site.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hearing them on "800" doesn't tell us much. You need to be specific as to what site or system you are hearing them on.

I hear Westcom traffic off the Columbus IP site all the time through affiliation.

ErieCountyPublicSafety

Feed Provider
MARCS IP?

I just want to find out about the switch over from MARCS to MARCS-IP. I have a Homepatrol and was wondering if that will still work after the switch over? I am also looking at getting the new BCD536HP to run my feed from. I am hearing Erie County Sheriff testing a patch to OSP. I can hear sheriff but not OSP? I don't really understand this whole digital stuff. LOL. Thanks.

budevans

I just want to find out about the switch over from MARCS to MARCS-IP. I have a Homepatrol and was wondering if that will still work after the switch over? I am also looking at getting the new BCD536HP to run my feed from. I am hearing Erie County Sheriff testing a patch to OSP. I can hear sheriff but not OSP? I don't really understand this whole digital stuff. LOL. Thanks.

The old/original MARCS system is a Moto Type II trunking system using P25 voice (cai).
The new MARCS-IP system is a Project 25 trunking system (made by Motorola, but any vendors certified P25 radio's will/should work with it).

The Homepatrol is capable of receiving Project 25 systems, your scanner should be good to go.

FYI, you probably see a lot of posts of people complaining about difficulties receiving P25 systems. The vast majority of those issues has to do with Simulcast P25 sites, multiple sites (towers) transmitting the same traffic on the same frequency.

I looked at Erie and Sandusky Counties, they are not Simulcast. So you shouldn't have that problem. Also MARCS deploys MARCS-IP on the same towers (locations) as the existing MARCS systems. So your signal reception should be virtually the same.

Last but not least, as system users move from MARCS to MARCS-IP they will be assigned new Talk Groups. So you should monitor both systems and start noting who is moving and their new Talk Groups. Please report what you find to RR. Check the RR database frequently for TG updates reported by others.

Hopes this helps.

cskeller07

Im a little new to all of this. Im having trouble wrapping my head around the MARCS system.

I have a Baofeng UV-5R.

Can I tune in OSP? Specifically Norwalk, Erie County and the turnpike post?

W4JKW

Premium Subscriber
Im a little new to all of this. Im having trouble wrapping my head around the MARCS system.

I have a Baofeng UV-5R.

Can I tune in OSP? Specifically Norwalk, Erie County and the turnpike post?

The UV-5R does include the MARCS frequency band, is not a digital radio, and does not support trunking, so it will not tune in anything on the MARCS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.