Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

WA8NPR

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where you live, but Post 76 Canton uses 465.375 with a PL tone of 136.5. I believe all of the OSP vehicular repeaters are now using just the UHF frequencies, as the handheld Motorola APX7000 (dual band UHF/ 700/800) is now in use by the troopers.

Best of luck monitoring, Rich

owenbricker

I keep VRE's in the handheld while driving, can copy them at least 4 miles away, better than a radar/lazer detector. They seem to stay on for extended periods of time after the traffic stop. some also put out a chirp sound which tells you a unit is close by.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Not sure where you live, but Post 76 Canton uses 465.375 with a PL tone of 136.5. I believe all of the OSP vehicular repeaters are now using just the UHF frequencies, as the handheld Motorola APX7000 (dual band UHF/ 700/800) is now in use by the troopers.

Correct; OSP dumped all their single band (700/800) portables when they were preparing to migrate from old MARCS to MARCS-IP. That was part of the reason for the delay in their migration; they discovered that the 700/800 mobile radio operating on 700 MHz frequencies caused interference issues to the vehicle repeaters (also operating on 700 MHz) so they had to buy and install all new vehicle repeaters, as well as buy and distribute all new APX7000 portables.

I recall wondering about the whole thing at the time; surely someone had to realize beforehand that a 35 watt mobile radio would cause interference (receiver desense at the very least) to a dinky 2-watt vehicle repeater when the antennas are only a couple of feet apart. . .

PS - I added the Canton/District 3 frequency to the database. Nice catch!

santafe2016

I keep VRE's in the handheld while driving, can copy them at least 4 miles away, better than a radar/lazer detector. They seem to stay on for extended periods of time after the traffic stop. some also put out a chirp sound which tells you a unit is close by.
Back in the OLDEN days of the eighties when all the State Patrol would use this I would program in all these from Ohio to Florida and it worked GREAT, now thats I've gotten too old to speed and sold my radar detector its kinda too late to use it!!!But it was wonderful!!

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Back in the OLDEN days of the eighties when all the State Patrol would use this I would program in all these from Ohio to Florida and it worked GREAT, now thats I've gotten too old to speed and sold my radar detector its kinda too late to use it!!!But it was wonderful!!

Too old to speed? ...Have you seen those 90-year-old ladies on the freeways in Florida!

Status
Not open for further replies.