Maricopa County / Vicinity Numeric Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFD4305

Is there a list somewhere of the various codes used by Phoenix-region public safety agencies? I don't hear 10-codes often, but there seem to be some local 'departures' from those I'm familiar with. There are other numeric codes I hear occasionally; 961 or 962 related to traffic accidents, maybe?
Anyway, I hope you get the idea. Has a list(s) been compiled? I've looked in the RR Wiki without results.
Thanks!

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2339; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

There is no one standardized list of brevity codes for all the agencies in the county. The Southwest Frequency Directory, 10th Edition, which may still available at Ham Radio Outlet at 43rd and Peoria Aves, has the codes if you want to go buy it. But a lot of the frequency and other info in it is out of date, having been published in 2009.
That said, it may be best to ask here.
961 Non-injury accident
962 Injury accident
963 Fatality accident
H&R appended to any of them means Hit & Run.
What other brevity codes are you looking for?

Astrak

Some of the codes in SWFD are outdated by now, but major one's probably still apply.

Phoenix805

DPS uses 964 quite often, it means accident - unknown injuries.
101 is often used - it just means 'woman'. I guess you're assumed to be a man unless you're called a 101.
901 is another common one for 'injured person' normally used with a letter extension -
901g gunshot wound
901s stabbing
901x suicide (or attempted/attempting suicide)
901h too late, they're already dead (I used to think the h was for homicide, but it's not, it can be natural causes, drug OD, etc.)

I have a pretty good list that Phoenix PD uses, most but not all of the numbers are more or less universal. I'll see if I can scan it and post it.

MFD4305

Excellent

Many thanks for each of these responses. Now I have a couple of lists to print out and keep by the "old faithful" 996T.
As usual, the RR local forum regulars are the best source of information!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Let's not forget about Phoenix/Mesa Fire also:

2-1 (or 3-1 or 1st alarm, second alarm, etc) medical = major accident or incident of some kind
962 Extrication = injury accident requiring extrication
Alert 1 = Aircraft on the ground with a problem
Alert 2 = Aircraft in the air with a problem
Alert 3 = Aircraft crash

I forgot also:

RIC = Rapid Intervention Crew
TRO = Tactical Resource Officer

The rest of their codes are plain english IIRC. I'm sure someone will chime in if I missed one. :)

-AZ

Last edited:

Astrak

Let's not forget about Phoenix/Mesa Fire also:

2-1 (or 3-1 or 1st alarm, second alarm, etc) medical = major accident or incident of some kind
962 Extrication = injury accident requiring extrication
Alert 1 = Aircraft on the ground with a problem
Alert 2 = Aircraft in the air with a problem
Alert 3 = Aircraft crash

I forgot also:

RIC = Rapid Intervention Crew
TRO = Tactical Resource Officer

The rest of their codes are plain english IIRC. I'm sure someone will chime in if I missed one. :)

-AZ
2-1 means two engines and one ladder
3-1 means 3 engines and one ladder
1 alarm etc adds more engines and ladders etc..............I think.

998=Officer involved shooting
999=Officer needs immediate help

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2339; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

906 urgent backup needed
907 backup requested, not urgent
(It's better to hear these instead, before a situation escalates to a 998/999. But it doesn't always work out that way.)

I don't know if fire still uses Code 1000, which is a fire alarm indication in any kind of doctor's office, medical facility, care home, etc., or if they just say fire alarm indication, because the name of the facility is usually obvious as to what kind of facility it is.

Phoenix805

906 urgent backup needed
907 backup requested, not urgent
(It's better to hear these instead, before a situation escalates to a 998/999. But it doesn't always work out that way.)

I don't know if fire still uses Code 1000, which is a fire alarm indication in any kind of doctor's office, medical facility, care home, etc., or if they just say fire alarm indication, because the name of the facility is usually obvious as to what kind of facility it is.

It's been my experience that the fire department does NOT use code 1000, the facilities typically use that internally (over the PA: code 1000, 2nd floor, west wing, etc.). When the fire department gets alarms it normally dispatches one engine on a 'fire alarm indication' call. Most fire alarms are false alarms and they don't waste resources sending a massive response that probably won't be needed, but they really need to send one truck just in case. If they get multiple calls or someone specifically reports smoke/flame, etc, then it's a different story. One truck's already on the way and there will soon be more right behind.

I don't have 906/907 or 998/999 highlighted on my list as they're not 'commonly used' (to me any way).
I've heard many officers ask for backup, and I've never heard 906/907 used. I only remember hearing one officer needs help call (officer involved shooting) and at that time he didn't use any number codes.

KB7MIB

Phoenix FD used to use the Code 1000, but I haven't heard it in awhile, so I wasn't sure if they had stopped using it, or if I just hadn't heard it when I happened to be listening.
Peoria PD has gone mostly to plain English, rather than using brevity codes, but they used to use 906/907. They're the PD that I most often listen to.

KB7MIB

Surprise PD uses 964 to refer to the complainant/reporting party.
FYI for anyone interested, West Valley Uniforms on Peoria Ave between 87th & 89th Ave is going out of business. They have laminated cheat sheet cards for various agencies, which include common 10 codes and other dispatch codes, ARS Title 13 and 28 quick reference, Miranda warning, booking and warrant confirmation info. I saw Peoria, Glendale, Scottsdale and DPS, they may have others. They may be cool for the novelty of having them, besides the brevity code quick reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.