Marine Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMRAPX

Hi
Can someone tell me where to find a list of all the marine channels used in toronto?
Thanks in advance
fred

69stiles

Not to go off topic but since I found some fellow Ontarions here I was wondering if you could tell me the rules of owning a marine radio out here? I live around Waterloo Region, not really anywhere near the wet stuff. I just bought a radio & want to make the most of it but don't want to get into any trouble either

ecps92

Marine Radio

In the USA, owning is not the problem, it would be if you Transmit or are suspected
of transmitting on it.

69stiles said:
Not to go off topic but since I found some fellow Ontarions here I was wondering if you could tell me the rules of owning a marine radio out here? I live around Waterloo Region, not really anywhere near the wet stuff. I just bought a radio & want to make the most of it but don't want to get into any trouble either

AVL

can anyone tell me the best freqs for cape may nj (other then coast guard)i already have those some sits have the south jersey marine freqs but none in the cape may area im surounded by water so getting boats and ships should be eazy. thanks all

bpckty1

Thanx. I was wondering why the big gap, and why the numbering wasn't continued from ch 29 upwards.

OceanaRadio

AVL said:
can anyone tell me the best freqs for cape may nj (other then coast guard)i already have those some sits have the south jersey marine freqs but none in the cape may area im surounded by water so getting boats and ships should be eazy. thanks all

Not as easy as you may think, if you are on vacation and using only a handheld radio. From sea level, a handheld will not deliver much marine traffic from vessels unless you are actually out on the water amongst them. You will hear the USCG transmitting from high-sites and fishermen who you can almost see, but that's it, no distance reception from a portable unless you are in a hi-rise building. Recreational users are permitted to use the several channels classsified as non-commercial. There are no marine frequencies for South Jersey v. Cape May, NJ for instance, the entire marine band is shared under the same classification in all U.S. waters. Channel 13 is used by all commercial vessels in harbor-approaches and rivers, and if you are close enough to see them, you should hear them on a handheld. The Harbor pilots will use one of the channels designated as Port Control, but the pilot will be also be using Ch-13 in the VTS-areas of the Delaware River approach near Cape May, as well as Ch-16 until they enter the VTS.

See http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm

Jack

bpckty1

I did a little research on channels 29-62. I found a reference in some of my dusty, pre-computer files, and I found a list, probably outdated since Homeland Security was formed, that had USCG discrete, Dept. of Transportation, Dept. of Treasury, US Customs, US Corps of Engineers, and Federal Itinerant frequencies assigned to those channels. The list did not provide PL tones, however.

I hope this may help in the quest.

ecps92

Old and not Maritime related

The channels you should be searching for are USCG aka CG-## in the
162-164 Mhz. Many are the former LANT Channels.

USCG uses DVP/DES, but many times in the clear.

PS..the CG-1, CG-2 etc are actually

VHF Marine channels, yes allocated for the CG, but not called CG-1, CG-1, they are
81, 82, 83, 21 and 23.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm

bpckty1 said:
I did a little research on channels 29-62. I found a reference in some of my dusty, pre-computer files, and I found a list, probably outdated since Homeland Security was formed, that had USCG discrete, Dept. of Transportation, Dept. of Treasury, US Customs, US Corps of Engineers, and Federal Itinerant frequencies assigned to those channels. The list did not provide PL tones, however.

I hope this may help in the quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.