Marine Commerical Fisherman Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1jt

Premium Subscriber
Good morning,
My son-in-law, Kyle, is an avid stripper fisherman out of Barnstable Harbor. He'd like to be able to monitor the commercial fishing boats and shark spotters
while he's out fishing in Cape Cod Bay.

He asked me if I knew what frequency the commercial guys were on and he also wondered about what might be a good radio to add to his boat that would copy them.

I grew up on the south side of the Cape and remember in the sixties listening to the fisherman coming out of New Bedford on or about 2.8 or 2.9 mhz. Of course they mostly spoke Portuguese and every other word was a curse! I loved it!

So, if any of you folks know the frequencies and maybe even a decent radio (could even be a handheld) you could recommend that would be terrific!

I'd like to be able to point Kyle in the right direction so any help you might be able to offer is appreciated!

73 Jim W1JT

n0iop

The location of fish is a trade secret that the boats try to protect. In many cases, they use frequencies that are assigned to other services to avoid detection by competing boats.

The frequencies below have actually been assigned to the marine service.

Here are the VHF frequencies:

The 2 MHz band frequences are here:

The HF marine frequencies at 4 MHz and above are listed here:

Almost any of the marine VHF transceivers can be set up to scan the band, including the HTs, and they're inexpensive. Antenna height is king. For HF, any general coverage receiver or scanner will work. HF marine uses USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.