Marine Corps Marathon--Possible 380 MHz TRS to be Used

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtscho

Database Admin
In reviewing my notes from last year's Marine Corps Marathon, I noticed that some of the 380 MHz freqs I caught are part of a 380 MHz system in the database. The same system may be in use at this year's Marathon. 381.2000, 381.3375, 381.6875, and 381.8375 were all used last year for Marathon comms. On site 403 of the Quantico system (http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4676), three of those four freqs are listed. I assume I was hearing that site, especially since that site has excellent signal strength from Reagan National Airport.

Last year, I didn't have a scanner that could track 380 systems, but I'm really looking forward to scanning at this year's Marathon with the 396. Anyway, just something I noticed that might be helpful. Keep an ear to Arlington County/DC/Metro as well.

Dave

KI4IHC

Premium Subscriber
I volunteered to provide ham communications last year for the MCM, and most likely will this year too. As soon as I get my frequency lists, I'll post them here for y'all

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
do not whatsoever post the Marine Corp Marathon ham radio frequencies on here. If they wanted everyone to know the frequencies that are being used they would advertise it. Being that i've been involved with it for the last 4 years, After the marathon no problem but not before.

R Collins
APRS Coordinator for the MCM2006

FPO703

Amateur radio frequencies are public domain. They do not fall under any military umbrella for secrecy. If a person chooses to disclose them, beforehand, during, or after, is entirely up to them. If you still have a problem with this, send me a PM and we will discuss it further.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
But for Security purposes as in the Marine Corps Marathon they don't want the frequencies published. To stumble across them no problem but you can understand why with a event this big and the confusion already set especially with setup on the day of the event. They don't want the hassle of interference with the volunteers checking in and setting up.

R Collins

FPO703

kg4icg said:
But for Security purposes as in the Marine Corps Marathon they don't want the frequencies published. To stumble across them no problem but you can understand why with a event this big and the confusion already set especially with setup on the day of the event. They don't want the hassle of interference with the volunteers checking in and setting up.

R Collins

Again, Regardless of what the military wishes. These frequencies are part of the public domain and as such are not regulated by the military. If they want their comms to be secure, use Military systems with encryption. Until then, the frequencies can be and most likely will be posted contrary to your wishes.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
well he won't be getting the frequency list until the day of the event anyway so what i say won't matter anyway.

R Collins

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
It's more a Public Saferty issue then it is a Military one. Besides the frequency list won't be out until the day of the event so it doesn't matter.

R Collins

FPO703

Public safety comms aren't amateur radio comms. If the frequencies/repeaters are run by local amateur clubs, their imfornation is public domain as well. All people would have to do it ask around and obtain the information.

If it's a matter of public safety, keep it on public safety frequencies.

End of discussion.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
You don't get it do you, We are working with the Police, Fire, of Arlington, Alexandria, DC. Plus the US Capital police plus, US Park Police, and Finally the group that host the event. The U.S. Marine Corps. It's been this way for years, even before i got involved with the Marathon. I'm not the one who made the rules but guess what. I do have to follow them no matter what anyone else says if they don't like the rules. We won't get the frequency list till the day of the event. Which is one of the rules. Like we had to submit a lot of information so we have access to the course. He can't submit frequencies if he doesn't have them. It doesn't do anyone anygood anyway when they keep changing. It's only vhf/uhf simplex on comms with some repeaters thrown in the mix. Plus this year, they Are using the ICOM Dstars setup with ID-1's. Instead of being in Ohio, If you were here, working this event, there are certain precautions taken to prevent anything from happenning especially after 9/11. Ask yourself this question? How come i haven't seen any other previous frequencies from the HAMS involved with the Marine Corps Marathon.

FPO703

Maybe because this is the first mention of said event. As for the 'after 9/11' hype. Don't get me started on that. It's exactly that, a bunch of hype. Paranoia started by the federal government. The government loves to use 9/11 as an excuse to try to take our freedoms away from us. You can believe what you want on that one. As for the frequencies, once they are found out, I'm sure they will be published. I don't think there are too many amateur radio operators that with to cause chaos to your event. The general public will do enough of that.

KI4IHC

Premium Subscriber
Makes me sorry I mentioned it in the first place.

Oh, and I won't be posting the frequencies here. Not only because I apparently won't get them until the day of the event (new from last year - that'll make programming my motorola radios before hand pretty much impossible), but I can appreciate the concerns raised by KG4IGC.

Last edited:

dtscho

Database Admin
Well, they were using the 380 MHz system I mentioned, but unfortunately all MCM comms were encrypted this year. I counted twelve talkgroups in use, with absolutely no clear transmissions. I assume everything was encrypted simply because the whole trunked system is encrypted. Guess this means we won't be listening to the MCM from now on.

Arlington and DC continued to provide plenty of good monitoring, however. I'll post what I found on my website soon.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.