Marine frequencies radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammersc

What radios other than a marine radio be used on the VHF channels? Can a motorola xts radios be used? Is marine vhf narrow or wide band?

nd5y

Most marine channels are wideband.
The radio must have FCC Part 80 certification to be legally used on marine frequencies. You would have to check the FCC ID of the particular model to see if is Part 80 certified.
Then you have the issue of licensing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What radios other than a marine radio be used on the VHF channels? Can a motorola xts radios be used? Is marine vhf narrow or wide band?

Right, as Nd5Y said, VHF Marine radios require FCC Part 80 certifications.
Also, to be completely legal, programming of VHF marine channels for transmitting requires the person doing the programming to hold a valid FCC GROL license.

Marine VHF is currently wide band FM (5KHz deviation/25KHz wide channels). There is an existing band plan to interlace narrow band (2.5KHz deviation/12.5KHz wide channels) into the existing VHF Marine band, although it does not appear to be in much use yet.

ITU, the international telecommunications governing body has a band plan and some specs to start moving to very narrow band digital, 6.25KHz wide channels. It has NOT been adopted yet by member nations, at least not last time I looked. The exact digital mode has not been fully spec'd out yet.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Correct. Look at the last few pages of the XTS 5000 manual and you'll see that they list proper Marine radio usage even.

bryanhendrix

persistent
part 90 versus part 80 versus part of "who does the inspection , looking for what transceiver you recently used? I carry a recreational boating marine band radio ....yet, tend to use my 4 other transceivers if I bring them. My so called 2 separate Alinco, my so called Baofeng, my so called Yaesu ---- all work great on vhf marine band frequencies. Maybe my fellow boating enthusiast is a busy body, with ego issues, gets a thrill from taking telephoto pics and videos of people using non vhf marine band radio and emails the FCC the very next day ,,,,, what a society we have if people have nothing better to do

Status
Not open for further replies.