Marine radio in Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill

Premium Subscriber
A marine radio can't be used in a vehicle to talk with a boat. Would be against the FCC rules.

Larry

seamusg

hill said:
A marine radio can't be used in a vehicle to talk with a boat. Would be against the FCC rules.

Larry
Not without FCC aproval. The only one I've seen was a marine salvage co. owner.

Mozilla

Marine radio

The best scenario would be to have one that the mike is removable from, and leave it at home, or program a radio with marine freqs with transmit disabled.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Using a marine radio for any other purpose such as land mobile or a private shore station is strictly prohibited. Frankly I have heard of no "exceptions" besides bridge operations on channel 13 and commercial shore stations on designated channels only.

The FCC is very strict against unauthorized usage and has eliminated the illegal "shore stations" using it like CB. Now if they could only get rid of the party boat captains' usage of USCG only and the adjacent railroad channels but unfortunately the Enforcement Bureau has no boats that I know of, only cars with concealed antennas and equipment.

Speaking of unauthorized usage, last year they busted a movie production company using portables on a NYPD frequency. Talk about DUMB criminals caught on tape! (;->)

Bad boy bad boy, watcha gonna do? Watcha gonna do when they come for you?

seamusg

kb2vxa said:
Using a marine radio for any other purpose such as land mobile or a private shore station is strictly prohibited. Frankly I have heard of no "exceptions" besides bridge operations on channel 13 and commercial shore stations on designated channels only.

The FCC is very strict against unauthorized usage and has eliminated the illegal "shore stations" using it like CB. Now if they could only get rid of the party boat captains' usage of USCG only and the adjacent railroad channels but unfortunately the Enforcement Bureau has no boats that I know of, only cars with concealed antennas and equipment.

Speaking of unauthorized usage, last year they busted a movie production company using portables on a NYPD frequency. Talk about DUMB criminals caught on tape! (;->)

Bad boy bad boy, watcha gonna do? Watcha gonna do when they come for you?
The only truck use I've seen was commercial by a marine salvage company, only used to contact his boats, or the USCG or other LEOs.

drew6553

my understanding is that if you are transmitting within a mile of the water you wont need a liscense such as marinas or seatow etc

rpowley

From FCC Maritime Mobile Services (handhelds):

MAY I USE MY HAND-HELD MARINE VHF RADIO ON LAND?

You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license IS NOT sufficient. You may apply for this license by filing FCC Form 601 with the FCC. To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast locations. Each unit must be capable of operation while being hand-carried by an individual. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a ship, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
You can have any type radio in your vehicle. USING it in that vehicle is another story. I currently have 3 Motorola Spectra's in my vehicle and I even have Marine band channels in it (just to see if I hear anyone bootlegging), but I don't xmit on it.

Long time ago, when I was just getting into the radio hobby, a friend of mine installed a marine mobile in his car, and ran the thing through a side-mounted quarter-wave CB whip, complete with ball and spring. That lasted until another friend drove the thing through a rollover carwash. Talk about swift!

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
b7spectra said:
You can have any type radio in your vehicle. USING it in that vehicle is another story. I currently have 3 Motorola Spectra's in my vehicle and I even have Marine band channels in it (just to see if I hear anyone bootlegging), but I don't xmit on it.

Ditto. I have the primary VHF marine channels in my Spectra for the sole purpose of listening. Lots of off the wall things to listen to when you live next to a Great Lake.

RenMan51

kb2vxa said:
The FCC is very strict against unauthorized usage and has eliminated the illegal "shore stations" using it like CB.

Wish they were MORE serious about it, as there are police departments in East Texas using marine band for dispatch, car-to-car, etc.

I've already reported HPD to the FCC for using MilAir freqs.

N

N_Jay

policeMonitor said:
i have one in my mobile

Figures!:evil: :evil:

policeMonitor said:
Interests:
scanning and cb/freebanding

Oooooooo, Freebanding!
I love when people make up a name to make something illegal sound cool.

policeMonitor

N_Jay said:
Figures!:evil: :evil:

Oooooooo, Freebanding!
I love when people make up a name to make something illegal sound cool.

what i mean by free banding is i free band as in listening how is that illegal?

2nd i use my marine radio for communacating with my boat and buddys boat and monitor for emergncy's.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
RenMan51 said:
I've already reported HPD to the FCC for using MilAir freqs.
Were you by any chance listening to the HIDTA/DEA activities? BTW, I am pretty sure the FCC has no say about the MilAir, indeed any federal use frequencies, so your report will probably get filed in the circular file.

N

N_Jay

policeMonitor said:
what i mean by free banding is i free band as in listening how is that illegal?

2nd i use my marine radio for communacating with my boat and buddys boat and monitor for emergncy's.

Yea, sure, we BELIEVE YOU (and we believe your invisible friend also).:lol: :lol: :lol:

OOOPs sorry, thought we were in the tavern.

Status
Not open for further replies.