Marine Radio Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic10mda

Ø Pittsburgh, PA
Premium Subscriber
Looking to get a portable marine radio for occasional use on finger lakes. Not too familiar with the good, better and best brands with marine radio. Looking at the HX890 Standard Horzion. Anyone who can provide opinions on this or other makes/models, would be appreciated. I know where Motorola, Kenwood, Et

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
IMHO Icom and Standard Horizon are the go to brands. Not that other brands are bad, just the build quality seems to be better.

N5XPM

It would be helpful to know a budget for this project and whether this will be land-based monitoring only or if the radio will be used to transmit on a boat.

Medic10mda

Ø Pittsburgh, PA
Premium Subscriber
Budget: under $300. Used mainly on canoe, jet skis, occasional ski boats. Calling to someone on shore at the rental space or someone else in the family who has a marine radio. Not expecting to use for miles and days out on the water.

N5XPM

Very helpful.
Your budget is sufficient for a great solution.
One of the GPS units from ICOM such as M93, Standard Horizon HX 890 or Uniden MHS 335 might be useful.
The Uniden has some texting capability which might be good if other family members have the same model. (I haven't used it)
If you want to add VHF land mobile channels on top of marine band later, check out the ICOM M85 or Standard HX 400.
Do check user reviews from the boating world and might want to focus on battery life, etc ( I don't know what is best)

Medic10mda

Ø Pittsburgh, PA
Premium Subscriber
I thought about having my Kenwood NX 5200 programmed with the marine radio bands but I think getting a dedicated radio would be a smarter choice in the event it disappears

QUOTE="N5XPM, post: 3347512, member: 470126"]
Very helpful.
One of the GPS units from ICOM such as M93, Standard Horizon HX 890 or Uniden MHS 335 might be useful.
The Uniden has some texting capability which might be good if other family members have the same model. (I haven't used it)
If you want to add VHF land mobile channels on top of marine band later, check out the ICOM M85 or Standard HX 400.
Do check user reviews from the boating world and might want to focus on battery life, etc ( I don't know what is best)
[/QUOTE]

Medic10mda

Ø Pittsburgh, PA
Premium Subscriber
Very helpful.

Thank you! The HX890 has a $50 mail in rebate so takes price down to $149..:)

N5XPM

Thanks for sharing the HX 890 rebate information. You may have just cost me $149 ! Great to hear what you think about it if you get one.

RocketScott

I've been using an HX 870 for the past few years. Primarily sailing in the Puget Sound and out to the pacific

It has enough battery power to last all day. I usually leave it on next to the helm all day without issue. Overnight races I'll thrown it back on the charger down below if there's someone to monitor the boat's radio. Great little radio, nice display and intuitive controls. The MOB function is well thought out and easy to get to

prcguy

Icom has an occasional special for dealers and here are some prices I was given two weeks ago, but it was a short notice and very limited time offer. I got a new M324G-21 boat radio out of it but they had cheap handheld prices too.

M324G-21 $138.00
M424G-21 (current production hot model) $223.00
M605-11 upper class unit $480.00

HANDHELDS:
Cheap M25 $112.00 basic model with all features & I think they are being discontinued
Higher up M36 129.00
Top class M85 $210.00 Mil Spec IP67 waterproof (not many of these, they will go fast)

n5ims

I thought about having my Kenwood NX 5200 programmed with the marine radio bands but I think getting a dedicated radio would be a smarter choice in the event it disappears

A marine radio also must be FCC Type Certified to operate on the marine bands (in the US, other countries require their on agency certify them) and it doesn't appear that the NX 5200 has the necessary Part-80 certification. I'm not saying you can't use it, but be aware that the coast guard does inspect the radios (if any) and will get angry if they aren't the correct type when they inspect your vessel.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A marine radio also must be FCC Type Certified to operate on the marine bands (in the US, other countries require their on agency certify them) and it doesn't appear that the NX 5200 has the necessary Part-80 certification. I'm not saying you can't use it, but be aware that the coast guard does inspect the radios (if any) and will get angry if they aren't the correct type when they inspect your vessel.

The NX-5200, along with most of the recent Kenwood commercial radios, all have FCC Part 80 certification:

If you want to get technical, it does require a valid GROL to program marine frequencies. You'd also want the Kenwood "W-License" to allow wideband FM.

n5ims

The NX-5200, along with most of the recent Kenwood commercial radios, all have FCC Part 80 certification:

If you want to get technical, it does require a valid GROL to program marine frequencies. You'd also want the Kenwood "W-License" to allow wideband FM.

Good to know. Funny how when I checked the OET database for that ID it only showed Part-90 certifications. I typically don't check for Part-80 and may have not been looking at the right place. Thanks for the correction!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good to know. Funny how when I checked the OET database for that ID it only showed Part-90 certifications. I typically don't check for Part-80 and may have not been looking at the right place. Thanks for the correction!

There are multiple entries for many radios, and as usual, the FCC never makes anything easy.
At least Kenwood puts the FCC ID on their brochures and other documentation.

Medic10mda

Ø Pittsburgh, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for all of the info on the radios and spec on the kenwood. I got the standard horizon 890. Nice Looking radio so far. The current rebate helped with the decision making.

Last edited:

RocketScott

Great choice

The marine environment is hard on equipment. Best to have something designed for it with features that are useful

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone just use a marine radio in their shack for monitoring? I was thinking about getting one just for monitoring. The ICOM M25 looks nice. Anyone own a Uniden MHS75?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.