Marine Radio Usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cifn2

Feed Provider
I have been noticing on the Marine Frequencies, an increased usage in Illinois. I have also saw walmart sells them right along the FRS, but with increased power and increase range testimony.

I have noticed by using the Marine bank in my mobile scanner, that several groups are using them, they are using handles like CB and running quite a bit of power mobiles I would guess Full Power, I hear cursing, and general chat. They talk about where their dogs are, or where they last saw something running and about other people.

I have scanned and found several groups of users, and they change channels to talk to another group. I am sure it is raccoon hunters, and coyotte hunters.

Is it legal? I talked to one guy who said yup they were buying Marine radios now because you can use them for hunting, and they cannot say anything if you do, said they had read the rules, and it didn't say anything about needing a license.

I highly doubt, but I don't know about Marine Radios. Any help I would be interested in hearing from both sides.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Is it legal?

No.

I talked to one guy who said yup they were buying Marine radios now because you can use them for hunting, and they cannot say anything if you do, said they had read the rules, and it didn't say anything about needing a license.

That goes to show you, you can't believe everything you hear.

I highly doubt, but I don't know about Marine Radios. Any help I would be interested in hearing from both sides.

It is not legal to use marine radios for anything other than marine use. Whether or not a ship license is required depends upon the vessel, and how/where it is used. Operator licenses are not required.

But licensed or not, using them for hunting, or any other non-marine use is not legal.

But rather than take "some guys" word for it, or some disembodied sentence fragments on the internet, read for yourself. Recommended reading is at the U.S. Coast Guard Navcenter and FCC web pages.

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just a question. If yo are hunting from a boat like duck hunting, could you use these radios while doing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.