Marine radio use in Southern and Central Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickles37

Since I couldn't really find anything on the web about this, I'd be interested if anyone knows of the extent of Marine VHF radio use in the inland waterways and lakes of Central and Southern Indiana (i.e. away from the great lakes), and what channels tend to be used for what. So far, I know that Patoka Lake Marina monitors Channel 68 for communications with boats on Patoka Lake, and that some USCG broadcasts are audible in Southern Indiana on 22A (perhaps from the Ohio River - see http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/ohioriver). As far as I can tell, there is no channel monitored on shore for Lake Monroe. I assume boaters use 9/68/69 etc for personal use, but I'd be interested if anyone knows of channels that are routinely monitored by DNR or other entities.

Thanks!

aaron315

Since I couldn't really find anything on the web about this, I'd be interested if anyone knows of the extent of Marine VHF radio use in the inland waterways and lakes of Central and Southern Indiana (i.e. away from the great lakes), and what channels tend to be used for what. So far, I know that Patoka Lake Marina monitors Channel 68 for communications with boats on Patoka Lake, and that some USCG broadcasts are audible in Southern Indiana on 22A (perhaps from the Ohio River - see http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/ohioriver). As far as I can tell, there is no channel monitored on shore for Lake Monroe. I assume boaters use 9/68/69 etc for personal use, but I'd be interested if anyone knows of channels that are routinely monitored by DNR or other entities.

Thanks!

the Marina down there used to monitor VHF 9 &16 as well as CB 9. That was 20 years ago. I do not know if they still do or not. Call and ask them. Home - Lake Monroe Marina Bloomington, Indiana.

I know one of the COs down that works that area. He monitors VHF marine channels when he is on patrol.

W9NES

Pickels 37, My friends who own the Geist Marina in Hamilton County use VHF Ch 9 156.450. The owner told me that Ch 9 is used when boaters are out of fuel. etc. The question was asked about other VHF channels in the area and was told that a lot of boaters use there cell phones for communications.

Last edited:

W9NES

On Friday 8/8/14 I called the Lake Marina in Bloomington, Indiana and was told by a person there that they do not have ANY VHF marine radios to communicate to boaters on the water and they do not have a CB radio for Channel 9. Was told a lot of the boaters on the water use cell phones for communications.

Last edited:

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Morse Lake Marina monitors channel 14 and sometimes 16. I frequently scan those two plus the DNR to catch what's going on around the lake.

pickles37

Thank you to all for the universally helpful responses, and especially to W9NES for actually calling Lake Monroe Boat Rental! It sounds like monitoring 9/16 generally is a good strategy, with some specific monitoring (14/68) for individual marinas. I shall certainly do this from now on when I go out on the lakes. Surprising Lake Monroe has no VHF monitoring, relying on cellphones, especially given USCG advice to the contrary: Cell Phone vs VHF Radio - BoatSafe.com

GTO_04

Morse Lake Marina monitors channel 14 and sometimes 16. I frequently scan those two plus the DNR to catch what's going on around the lake.

That is good to know. I had no idea Morse Lake Marina was monitoring marine VHF channels. Do you hear any activity on there? DNR also has a TG on the Hamilton County radio system and you will hear them on HCSD dispatch as well. Noblesville PD also patrols the southern part of the lake.

GTO_04

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
The most activity I have heard from the marina was traffic from our boat! Two times this year: when a random boat caught fire and another time when one stalled and was taking on water. A handful of stalled boats heard over a few seasons. I've been alternating in using Uniden 436 and HP-1 with GPS for monitoring DNR and public safety of both local towns. A fair amount of scanner activity on and around the lake compared to scant marine channel use.

Actually, as I think about it the marina is a little surprised each time I've hailed for help.

We'll be out today for early morning ski in a few hours... Channel 14 is usually monitored on the boat... And occasionally 2M/70cm handheld for simplex CQ on 146.52 or UHF DSTAR.

If it's just me and a day off in the middle of the week, I'll sometimes set up a portable HF station.... =:cool:

VR,

cognetic

N9LLO

Sporadic use on and around lake Monroe. No official monitoring as far as i can tell. Mostly 16,68,and69 but anything goes. I just heard a female voice on 16 saying to go to Allens creek it less windy there. Then a small child talking to someone I could not hear. Also some guy saying something about toilet paper at the hotel. Exciting stuff

k8krh

I listen to the OHIO RIVER traffic<very little>, in LOUISVILLE, on 156.800. use to hear a lot 25 years ago. over the labor day weekend I heard the COAST GUARD give their broadcast, and some idiot holler just wonderful, and then another boat called him and that was it. I guess cell phones are all that is used anymore.
I use to work back in the 1980's at WFN Jeffersonville, INDIANA and the channels were very busy, and maybe 30 to 45 vhf phone calls a day. We also ran ssb on 6 megs for the companies tug fleet, think the station was closed in the early 90's and tore down. They ran Motorola equipment, and for ssb log periodic antenna, microwaved in from 20 miles away. Then we had 4 operators on day shift, 2 evening and 1 at night. Also we could communicate with ST.LOUIS radio which was very busy.
We sent to the tug fleet from OHIO/PA to NEW ORLEANS and the GULF, sent orders out and took radio traffic on ssb , and typed it into a computer type system , and when you had a dozen or so tugs calling on ssb and had traffic it made it for a long shift but always fun.
Those were the good days.
DOCTOR/795

Status
Not open for further replies.