Marine radios on land

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
We use 66A some times in the marina moving around other boats. Chanel 9 is really used for all hailing now 16 is distress use for the most part. Here is the full marine Chanel list.

U.S. VHF Channels - USCG Navigation Center

FCC list on channel use FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Data: Channels

I keep my boat on LBI.

i have never used ch9 for calling besides most people who monitor the radio have it on 16 in case there is actually an emergency. after all you are required to assist if they are in danger unless it puts yourself in danger as well

Dei2Racing

Here people use 9 for calling leaving 16 free for emergency calls. The default settings on my Icom is that it jumps to 9 or 16 any time a transmission is made. They make it an issue here since State of NJ required everyone operating a powered vessel to have a safety certificate. They love to nail out of state boaters in the summer for not having one.

New Jersey State Police - Marine Services Bureau - FAQ's

Yes - Out-of-state residents are not exempt from the education requirement listed above; however, the law states that an out-of-State resident who is at least 16 years of age and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if they possess a boat safety certificate issued by their state of residence, or if they possess written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators(N.A.S.B.L.A.) or the United States Coast Guard.

WA1ATA

In the New England, the Coast Guard encourages non-commercial boats to use channel 9 as the hailing channel; and also to avoid using Chan 16 for radio checks.

That's why a lot of radios have the "tri watch" feature, for monitoring both 16 and 9, as well as an additional working channel.

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber
Regarding a licensed to use VHF marine on land. It's not a simple "fill out a form, get a license" procedure that some are making it out to be. You need certain qualifications and necessity to get a land-based marine license.

WHY is it so many folks have a complete disregard for some laws, common courtesy and decency??? SELFISHNESS is one main reason! It's good for me so I am going to do it. Everyone else and laws be damned.
I'll never get caught so what's the harm, right? I'm not "hurting" anyone so what's the harm, right?
What ever happened to "do the right thing"? What ever happened to self respect and pride?

I think one of the reasons many folks do this is cost and convenience. Anyone can run into Gander, Bass Pro, Dick's, West Marine, etc and get a decent "mobile" marine radio and antenna for around $150. Less for a decent HT.
I personally don't consider that cost and convenience. I consider it laziness and ignorance!

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hunters, farmers, and high school kids(I was one of them) used marine radios where I grew up. Nobody complained, everyone kept to their own channel.

Tim K.

That`s exactly what is happening around my hometown up north, i was there over the holidays and i heard lots of hunters uot there using VHF marine radios, was able to recieve `em pretty well from our place, from what i know, no one has ever complained, and i don`t think anyone will. They used to use CB radios around my area, but now all the chatter is on marine channels instead. They all have their own channel that they talk on, and in all the time i`ve monitored i`ve never heard anyone complain about it. N9NRA

joekansas

Thread hijack~ kinda

I've read all these posts and just wonder exactly how many of those who've replied actually have and use marine VHF?

I would think the number of maritime/shipboard posters on here is probably slim.

I have a set of four HX230-s walkies and a GX2330s Nova (mobile unit) that I've had since 1994 that I have no use for anymore. The mobile and 2 walkies are scrambler equipped, if that makes any difference.

I thought about selling them to the coyote chasers locally. That is all they use.

If there was any interest among you here, I would put them in the classified section of this site. If this raises the hackles of everyone, I will delete all of this post but the first sentence!

We now return to you to your regularly scheduled progamming.......

joekansas

Well, the edit feature disappeared too quick for me to do that and by not being a premium member there will not be any radios sold, either. Sorry for wasting the bandwidth :) ......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.