Marine Transceiver With NMEA-0183 Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have been looking at the prices of GPS units for Uniden Home Patrol and BCD396/996XT scanners and considering that some people are spending nearly $100 for just a GPS receiver, would it almost be more worthwhile, at least in some cases, to simply buy a marine transceiver that has built in GPS and use it to feed data to the scanner? I am seeing the Standard Horizon Explorer GX1700B for less than $200 at some places on-line. Granted, not everybody wants or needs a transceiver unit and people need to know that they can't transmit on this, but you could use this as a dedicated NOAA Weather Alert radio, as well as feed data to your scanner, at a pretty reasonable price.

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

It is too bad that ICom doesn't h ave GPS built into their M88. That would allow a handheld marine radio to be used for additional land mobile channels AND GPS! Oh well, I can only hope!

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/marine/handhelds/m88is/default.aspxp

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Personally I'd get a GPS Puck like these: Byonics - MicroTrak

I have 2 for APRS trackers now.. And with a splitter could easily feed both my tracker and a scanner.

Cheaper than buying a radio to do it.

PACNWDude

NMEA output Radios

Standard Horizon radios work very well for this. The next up the line would be some of the Furuno radios. I would stay well away from the Si-tex GPS units though. I work for a company that has a large fleet of ships and we usually just use Garmin GPS 18's for GPS input. They work very well, even though they are getting old and have been updated many times. These come in serial DB9 and USB versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.