• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Marine VHF Radio Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the proper way to conduct a marine radio check from a portable marine radio (my XTS 5000[emoji23])?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd strongly recommend trying VHF Channel 9 first. If you don't get a response there, then try 16. You can sometimes get radio checks from the USCG on 16, but the idea is to keep idle chatter off 16 and they prefer recreational users utilize channel 9 as a calling channel.

I'd strongly recommend trying VHF Channel 9 first. If you don't get a response there, then try 16. You can sometimes get radio checks from the USCG on 16, but the idea is to keep idle chatter off 16 and they prefer recreational users utilize channel 9 as a calling channel.

Thank you! What should I say if I am transmitting from a portable. For example: Any vessel any vessel, this is... (doesnt have a name so not sure what to say here) requesting a radio check on 0 niner over"

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Up here in the NY - Long Island - Ct area there are "repeaters" set up on the old Marine telephone channels that record your transmission and play it back so you can hear how your radio sounds yourself. They are "store and forward" machines that the Sea Tow companies install and maintain for boater convenience to make their own automated radio checks. I don't know what other parts of the country have them, but there are many up here on marine channels 24,26, 27 and 28. During good band conditions I hear them all the way out on Cape Cod and down in NJ from my location.
Bob

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you! What should I say if I am transmitting from a portable. For example: Any vessel any vessel, this is... (doesnt have a name so not sure what to say here) requesting a radio check on 0 niner over"

That would be sufficient.
Make up a name if that's what you want, or just say "requesting a radio check on channel 9"

Cameron314

You would still say the name of the vessel even from a portable. If it doesn't have a name you would say what it is like "sea kayak" or "row boat" or whatever. If you aren't on a vessel, then you shouldn't be transmitting anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.