Marion BOP Trunk 996T ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9AZZ

Premium Subscriber
Hello

Has any one got a BCD-996T to successfully trunk the P25 UHF system at the Marion Prison?
I have set it manually, as well as used Radio reference, it just sits there hearing nothing. I can put the frequencies in a conventional bank in my Pro-96 and I hear them fine (non-trunk). I also put the frequencies in the 996T conventionally and I hear them there. Any ideas?

Flip N9AZZ

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I cannot find that system in the DB. The Illinois DOC systems that are in the DB are all Motorola Type II systems (not P25). At least one of them has some P25 channels (Lawrence), but it should be programmed as a Type II for scanning.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That is not a P25 system. Program it as a Motorola UHF with the base/step/offset and it should scan.

N9AZZ

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I have done that, however it is P25, The audio can be decoded by my Pro-96, and by the 996T when I have the channels programed as a conventional P25. When programmed as a Moto UHF I hear nothing when scanning. When I press hold and manually move to the current voice channel I hear data when they speak not clear voice. And at the same time my 96 decodes that same data and I hear their voices.

It is puzzling, today I was fooling round with it changing different settings, and I think I had it set to control channel only, it did sort of act normal, it would switch to the voice channel and flash the talk group ID, but this switch was extremely fast, and no voice was heard.

Thanks again

Flip

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. Well, the database shows that it is Motorola UHF with P25 voice channels (i.e. not a P25 system). So, if it is a P25 system the DB needs an update.

Either scanner would pick up the P25 voice traffic in conventional mode, regardless of the system type. However, to be trunk tracked, the system type will need to match the control channel format.

If you listen to the control channel (i.e. press HOLD when the system is otherwise idle), does it sound like a Motorola "motorboat" or more of a hiss?

Also, while holding on the control channel what does the display show?

Last edited:

N9AZZ

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I follow you now, sorry, I hear the Moto motorboat. Also when I am in Moto II UHF I do see the sys id when paused on the control channel. And I do not see it when in Moto P25 mode.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, then either the Base/Step/Offset shown in the DB is incorrect (which will make it do the little dance between the control channel / voice channel) or isn't entered correctly or there is a reception issue (or something else I haven't thought of, yet).

N9AZZ

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I will change the settings on those and see what I can find out. There is a ton of traffic on it especially during the day, and I am only 12 miles from it and they are very strong here.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Also, make sure the Digital Threshold is set to a "sane" starting value (usually between 6-11). Insane starting values (like 0) will prevent the scanner from recognizing / decoding the digital data stream.

N9AZZ

Premium Subscriber
Well no luck so far, I have noticed one thing, with the control channel on 408.375 today, on some occasions when ever someone talks I also have data on also on 411.175. The voice channels are always lower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.