Marion County & Surrounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACEMA024

With the Indy Fire Disp. System what other depts in surronding counties are on that disp sytem. Traveling to the greenwood area frequently - should I put in the MARCS system and greenwood?
Thanks in advance
Chad

cubn

Database Admin
Greenwood Fire is on SAFE-T site 177:
  • 10828 Johnson Co - Countywide Fire Paging [also simulcast on 154.010 (103.5)]
  • 10829 Johnson Co - Fire North (most Greenwood fire responses)
  • 10832 Johnson Co - Fireground 1 (major fires)
You'll hear other departments on those talkgroups as they're shared countywide. Greenwood units will be paged not by requesting "Greenwood Fire" but by the unit numbers. Listen for Engine 91-94 or Battalion 9 which are all Greenwood units.

You could theoretically hear them on any of the Johnson Co Fireground talkgroups although most big fires I hear them on Fireground 1. You may also catch a brief conversation on TG 10831 Johnson Co Fire Car-Car.

I once heard Greenwood Fire mention switching over to 7TAC71D (I was not close enough to hear them switch over to this).

ACEMA024

Thanks that answered the question.. Can not have both greenwood and indy fire on the same knob on my g4....

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
No. Greenwood uses SAFE-T. Indianapolis Fire uses IDPSC (formerly MECA). You can't program the G4 with two different systems on the same knob setting.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Hendricks County, Johnson County, Hancock County, Shelby County, Boone County, Morgan County all on SAFE-T. Marion County, Hamilton County, Madison County on IDPS. For some incidents, Hendricks and Marion do dispatch some of each others units on both systems for mutual aid. 7FIRE53D is used sometimes for local mutual aid with IFEMS, 7TAC71D is used by Johnson County for local on scene ops sometimes. On the VHF side for Tactical/Firegrounds : Johnson County - 159.1500 NXDN RAN 42. Morgan County - 151.3475 NFM 114.8 CTCSS. There are also VHF Dispatches in use for all EXCEPT Marion County. SEALS Ambulance is paged and has response (transport notification) on SAFE-T, but their Main Dispatch is on the ERS-OCI Con+ system.

Last edited by a moderator:

ACEMA024

Would Beech Grove be on the same Indy system or need a different knob to listen?
Getting a house just south of Beech Grove so looking for info to set up the pager. The scanner is easy.. LOL

AK9R

Super Moderator
While many questions can be answered by the RadioReference Database, and the Wiki, one has to know where to look:

The Marion County page in the database is here: Marion County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Scrolling down that page, you'll find a VHF tactical frequency for Beech Grove and listings for Beech Grove Schools. Way down at the bottom of the page, you'll find a link for Indianapolis Department of Public Safety. What's not apparent is that that system is used by most of Marion County, including separate cities and towns like Beech Grove.

So, let's click on it: Indianapolis Department Of Public Safety Trunking System, Indianapolis, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies

Page searching that page for "Beech Grove" reveals some information about IMPD handling communications for Beech Grove Police. So, you have to infer that the "MET-SE*" talkgroups also include Beech Grove Police. Further down the page, you find some info about Beech Grove Fire being dispatched by Indianapolis Fire and EMS.

The information is all there. But, it's not very intuitive unless you know how the communications in Marion County works. I'm not suggesting that the database be changed. But, I will suggest that when someone asks for information, those who understand how communications works for these agencies may need to expand upon their answers a bit.

ACEMA024

Well I thought the Scanner was easy. Hear on the Online feed but not the scanner. Imported from RR but still nothing....
any suggestions...

west-pac

The information is all there. But, it's not very intuitive unless you know how the communications in Marion County works. I'm not suggesting that the database be changed. But, I will suggest that when someone asks for information, those who understand how communications works for these agencies may need to expand upon their answers a bit.

I just looked on the county homepage, and the information box under the map at the top of the page says all public safety and Gov't services in Marion county, including Beech Grove, Speedway, and Lawrence, as well as IPL use the IDPS system.

I think IPL was renamed last year or so, that would indicate to me that that text has been there awhile.

west-pac

Upon further review, maybe the DB should be changed. With 5 cities that have independent governing bodies in Marion county (Beech Grove, Indy, Lawrence, Southport, and Speedway), since Beech Grove has a VHF tac that could be listed under their own header, and Southport has SAFE-T TGs (as indicated in the info text under the map on the county homepage), the 5 cities could be listed on the county homepage like Hammond is listed in Lake county. I think that would add some clarity for those other cities without muddying the county homepage too much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-053727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-053727_Chrome.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 11

ACEMA024

Tried the scanner again today.. Uploaded all the freq's for the Marion Co. System . Still nothing on the scanner but can hear on the online feed. I can program my old county just fine. Anyone have any insight ....
Going to have my G4 pager programmed by someone else hopefully it goes better....

AK9R

Super Moderator
Is the G4 the only "scanner" you are trying to program or do you have another?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Indianapolis, Speedway, Lawrence, Rocky Ripple, Beech Grove, Southport, AND at least two others, with one of them a DUAL County city that used both IDPS and SAFE-T... Beech Grove got rid of its own dispatch center, as did almost all other municipality in Marion County to join under the IMPD/IFEMS dispatch/control years ago. Cumberland uses both IMPD, and the Hancock County Dispatch for CPD. AES just fully got IPL and most agency still call them IPL. BGPD actually does NOT use the VHF, but the lic is maintained. IMPD illegally has those VHF which were licensed to former IPD officer private security company. Lic expired years ago. Just like they illegally ran ham 2m for years til they got busted.

ACEMA024

looked could not find the answer might not have looked hard enough..... Is the IMPD / IFEMS system a type 2 would that make a diffrence for a whistler 1040..?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
IDPS is a pure P25 simulcast system. System 1/10 is Marion County public safety. System 2/20 is Marion County Government. 3 is Hamilton County. 4 is Madison County. Not type 2. True P25.

OpenCarrier

looked could not find the answer might not have looked hard enough..... Is the IMPD / IFEMS system a type 2 would that make a diffrence for a whistler 1040..?
Look for "Common Air Interface Exclusive" or something like that it will mean it is a pure 100% P25. The 1040 doesn't...doesn't do Phase II.

Status
Not open for further replies.