Martinsburg Air Show - USAF Thunderbirds 9/4-5/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvscanner

Database Admin
I can remember in Jr High some would pull the fire alarm so we could go outside and watch them practice. Teacher hated it, if I remember right it went on 2 weeks before the show.

dwlyons

Mike,
I have found that they vary their freq usage for security. The freqs that they do use and vary between will become clearer the closer to the show season.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If I have a crack at going(this is a Sat-Sunday show?) I might be there and take my Pro 106 just to experience some real milair(ha!) transmissions

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Man I had forgotten about this thread,is it actually still on and being advertised? I doubt if I'm able to go since I'll more than likely will have to work on the 4th and impossible to go on that sunday.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Man I had forgotten about this thread,is it actually still on and being advertised? I doubt if I'm able to go since I'll more than likely will have to work on the 4th and impossible to go on that sunday.

I believe it's still on. Just checked the USAF site and it's still listed. Also, about 2-3 weeks ago, there was a mass casualty drill in preparation for the air show.

Thunder Over the Blue Ridge

dwlyons

The SHOW is going to start this week as the aircraft will be arriving. Security has gone to 12 hr shifts. The T-Birds are due to arrive Wed or Thur with a closed show on Friday for mil, family & friends.
They are expecting 80K or more attendance. Check out

Thunder Over the Blue Ridge

Going to be an interesting week for the air traffic in the area. Local air freqs are 124.3 MRB Tower, 121.8 MRB Grnd, 126.1 Dulles Approach. Pikeside Control (Galaxy Control) 296.0 .
Mil security support operate on P-25 standard mil operations.

I plan on taking hundreds of pics thru the weekend.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
If anyone has any frequencies for this event, please post here such as anything other than in the RR DB and any new TGs on the WVIRP. I'll post what I find as well. I'm not too far away and can receive a lot. Those going, you may want to search Ham, FRS/GMRS and maybe even CB freqs. Also, the fed VHF and UHF bands might be active as well. There aren't any local 380MHz trunked P25 systems that I know of, but I guess they could always set up a temp site.

I probably won't go due to the traffic mess and I've seen most of what's there already in the past. But, I might get a wild hare up my ass and go.

dwlyons

Sorry, my error on Pikeside Freq.

TBirds usually come in from Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, their home station.

The actual freq. they use during their shows varies. They use multiple freqs and switch during different stages of the show for security reasons. A few years back, someone jammed their show freq, causing havoc. Since then, the have used about 4 or 5 different ones during their shows. One for ramp, one for take-off of the diamond formation, solos are separate, one for full delta, and one for landings.

Check this site to see freq which they have used in the past.

http://monitoringtimes.com/MT_Air_Show_Guide_2010.pdf

EMTB644

USAF Thunderbirds

The USAF Thunderbirds arrived today in Martinsburg. Active frequencies were 322.950 AM and 235.250 AM. Flight practice is scheduled between 1230 - 1430 hrs. tomorrow.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
The USAF Thunderbirds arrived today in Martinsburg. Active frequencies were 322.950 AM and 235.250 AM. Flight practice is scheduled between 1230 - 1430 hrs. tomorrow.

And 141.075 AM.

On the WVIRP about 5:45PM, I heard (probably OES 1) radio checks on the Berkeley Co. Fire/EMS dispatch, Events 1 (TG 1157) and Events 2 (TG 1159).

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would encourage someone to accum all the freqs/talkgroups used at the airshow; a wiki article can then be created to catalog them for future years. You can even put the list together in Word, and one of us (Bob, me) can create a wiki article for it. 73 Mike

Last edited:

EMTB644

UASF Thunderbirds 9/03/2010

Active frequencies during today's performance practice were:

Air Boss: 129.52 AM
TB Ground Team: 413.275 (NBFM)
TBs in-flight: 141.075 AM, 235.25 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.