Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Lots of activity today on MTA Metro Ops & Metro Yard. First time seeing that, I have only seen previously tests or key-ups on these talkgroups. Lots of new radios in the 2159xxx & 2160xxx (MTA Range).

Also MTA activity on 8349 & 8355.

Not sure if this is testing for Metro or they have switched full time.
I don't know how MTA operates the rail side - are light rail and heavy rail (subway) considered the "Metro?"

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm also watching an OTAP/OTAR operation on the AA site, basically tying up the acch.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Noticed on the NRP Area 5 talkgroup now has Area 6 units being dispatched and operating on it also.
Looks like the Area 6 TG goes dead after 5pm or so - did the same thing Friday. Maybe is a weekend staffing thing at Sandy Point.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how MTA operates the rail side - are light rail and heavy rail (subway) considered the "Metro?"

I believe the subway is the Metro. Light rail is separate.

I'm also watching an OTAP/OTAR operation on the AA site, basically tying up the acch.

Can you tell what agency is getting programmed?

Looks like the Area 6 TG goes dead after 5pm or so - did the same thing Friday. Maybe is a weekend staffing thing at Sandy Point.

It is probably staffing related. I have noticed it for a week or two. I did see that they were accepting applications earlier this month for dispatchers.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I believe the subway is the Metro. Light rail is separate.

Can you tell what agency is getting programmed?

It is probably staffing related. I have noticed it for a week or two. I did see that they were accepting applications earlier this month for dispatchers.
As far as the OTAR/OTOP, I saw several radios in the 211xxxx, 215xxxx, 212xxxx, and a 254xxxx. It seems like it's not a fleet operation - maybe just radios that hadn't been turned on for a while, IDK. It's unusual to see the acch used for data on the AA site - usually it's on the 769 channel.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Seeing another radio to 211xxxx pretty much locked onto the acch in data mode. This is a MdTA Police unit that normally operates on the bay bridge tg. BTW, wifi updating radios is M U C H faster, and doesn't consume traffic channel resources - just sayin'...

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Seeing another radio to 211xxxx pretty much locked onto the acch in data mode. This is a MdTA Police unit that normally operates on the bay bridge tg. BTW, wifi updating radios is M U C H faster, and doesn't consume traffic channel resources - just sayin'...

... and requires secure wifi setup and wifi capable radios- many of the state's are pre-wifi and getting a decent wifi network set up for that sort of operation is a massive chore.

Voice always takes priority on IV&D channels anyway, even to the point of bumping off an in-progress data drop. No voice services are ever affected by mixed data in ASTRO 25.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Secure wifi, np - do it all the time. I do realize the many of the older radios on the system do not have the wifi option, but then again, new radios could / should - and the state is planning to begin replacing older radios... Hopefully Montgomery and AACo thought ahead and equipped their subscribers thusly.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Did the NAC change for the Lambs Knoll site? I have it as 4A2, but it seems the RRDB has been updated to 4AF.

Please post a note in the forums if a site NAC changes. Programming of some radios can be adversely affected by an incorrect / outdated site NAC.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Did the NAC change for the Lambs Knoll site? I have it as 4A2, but it seems the RRDB has been updated to 4AF.

Please post a note in the forums if a site NAC changes. Programming of some radios can be adversely affected by an incorrect / outdated site NAC.

It was noted in this post.. Sorta.. See the posted pic by @BM82557

IDK if/when the RR DB reflected this, but it's where I got it from in order to program the site in my personal programing..

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It was noted in this post.. Sorta.. See the posted pic by @BM82557

IDK if/when the RR DB reflected this, but it's where I got it from in order to program the site in my personal programing..
There was a change to the Lambs Knoll site data in the RRDB, and that's the only thing I noticed that was different from what I had. I don't want to commit a change to my programming unless I'm sure the NAC is correct. I though I was receiving the Lambs Knoll site a few weeks ago when I was out that way, but maybe not.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Do you know what changed in the RRDB? It shows recently updated. The only thing I saw changed was the NAC from my perspective.

Looking further, my Sentinel programming reflects 4AF as the NAC, but Unitrunker still shows 4A2 - but apparently I haven't logged into the Lambs Knoll site since August 2018, which probably explains it, lol. Still like to know what was updated.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It does appear that "Cherrytown Chicken ASR" is live. It is NAC 4A4, 1.4, 774.56875 is the CC. Only data.. no SCC listings as yet
Nice. Please watch the site and report when it starts carrying routine voice traffic.