Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Every once in a while i use proscan to double check my coordinates some departments on sentinal have no gps info at all, others are accurate. Alot of extra steps setting up location based scanning but once you do it its a wonderful thing. I also use the database as a guide and set up manually myself sometimes i'll append to my favorite list copy paste then delete the appended info. I tried balitmore from my QTH but I get nothing. Hartfort and Kent come in from the second story if i manually add the band plan but not very well. Hacks point is kinda low elevation compared to the areas all around i think this is part of my problem with my sds at home, the 800 mhz antenna really helps but i dont like it since i like to scan multiple bands.

Does Maryland first allow vendors other than Motorola on their system such as Kenwood? This could solve my issues at home lol. I guess though even if i could get a system key im sure it would be locked down to the point where i couldnt add any talkgroups that im not authorized.
Yea, not going to happen, re: system keys. MSI designed and is building the system, and for the next several years, has the service agreement for the system. They use their dealer network to perform the maintenance. Theoretically users *could* buy other vendor's APCO P25 subscriber units, but I don't really see that happening on a new system like FIRST.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
Yea, not going to happen, re: system keys. MSI designed and is building the system, and for the next several years, has the service agreement for the system. They use their dealer network to perform the maintenance. Theoretically users *could* buy other vendor's APCO P25 subscriber units, but I don't really see that happening on a new system like FIRST.

I get it to a point these things are complicated and one wrong box check could mean a users bad experience with the system. That being said I dont like to see monopolies but that's another story for another thread haha. I really dont blame them I couldn't imagine trying to manage a system so vast. Buttt what about counties with Ericson systems they should absolutely be able to join first natively without a patch, then again I dont understand why any county would want to bother building their own system in Maryland when the state is willing to do it for you, one would think it would be much cheaper to just join first.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I get it to a point these things are complicated and one wrong box check could mean a users bad experience with the system. That being said I dont like to see monopolies but that's another story for another thread haha. I really dont blame them I couldn't imagine trying to manage a system so vast. Buttt what about counties with Ericson systems they should absolutely be able to join first natively without a patch, then again I dont understand why any county would want to bother building their own system in Maryland when the state is willing to do it for you, one would think it would be much cheaper to just join first.
The counties can and do have access to FIRST in a variety of ways. The lower shore counties that use Harris P25 subscribers can use some FIRST tgs directly depending on their agreements with the state, and there are (or were) some crosslinks / patches operating during the transitions - not sure if they are still up. State of Delaware police and fire units can operated directly on FIRST, but their older FDMA radios can cause capacity problems on FIRST - not all channels on FIRST sites are configured for FDMA access.

Anne Arundel Fire units responded to a hazmat fire incident in Cambridge earlier this summer, and used their portable radios to communicate on FIRST MD Tac 2, so it's not really a problem (other than the AACO fire personnel not knowing where that tg was located in their radio programming, lol.)

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
That’s good! It can be difficult for users to find a talkgroups buried in a zone you never use lol. I’ve heard ocean city units on md tac channels before and wondered if a patch was up or not. I know In NCC patches are used for interoperability with Maryland our radios were not purchased with phase 2. Native first seems to be much more common in Sussex. We still have a lot of xts5000s in NCC Delaware which in my option should of just been re-flashed instead of buying a bunch of apxs not flashed for phase 2, maybe the whole system could of been upgraded to phase 1 by now if that was done but again another topic for another thread lol.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was just looking over the minutes from the April 15th virtual meeting of the RCB, noting the the next 4 sites to be added are:

Taylorsville ASR in Carroll County;
LaVale at the MSP Barracks for the Allegany Simulcast cell;
US 50 / 301 split for the Queen Anne's Simulcast cell;
Sykesville ASR in Carroll County.

There is also ongoing talks to build a site on the Hughes tower in NW DC to provide coverage into Montgomery County, in partnership with DC. If you've never seen it, it looks a more streamlined version of the Eiffel Tower, lol.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the September 19, 2019 RCB minutes, there is mention of a Calvert Cliffs ASR. Not sure if this is a mistake in the minutes, or an actual site in addition to the Calvert Simulcast cell.

gesucks

Does Maryland first allow vendors other than Motorola on their system such as Kenwood? This could solve my issues at home lol. I guess though even if i could get a system key im sure it would be locked down to the point where i couldnt add any talkgroups that im not authorized.

Buy a RELM/BK KNG portable or mobile. Requires to system keys to be programmed in receive only mode. Will work as good if not better than an APX on the system

gesucks

They are plenty of approved non Motorola radios on the system

maus92

Premium Subscriber
They are plenty of approved non Motorola radios on the system
I'd imagine the feds have non-moto subs, but I've only seen the primary users using APXs. I'm not counting the Harris subs used by Worcester and Oceans City and other interop partners.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Buy a RELM/BK KNG portable or mobile. Requires to system keys to be programmed in receive only mode. Will work as good if not better than an APX on the system
I think you meant does not require system keys in receive only mode. Typo.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
The counties can and do have access to FIRST in a variety of ways. The lower shore counties that use Harris P25 subscribers can use some FIRST tgs directly depending on their agreements with the state, and there are (or were) some crosslinks / patches operating during the transitions - not sure if they are still up. State of Delaware police and fire units can operated directly on FIRST, but their older FDMA radios can cause capacity problems on FIRST - not all channels on FIRST sites are configured for FDMA access.

Anne Arundel Fire units responded to a hazmat fire incident in Cambridge earlier this summer, and used their portable radios to communicate on FIRST MD Tac 2, so it's not really a problem (other than the AACO fire personnel not knowing where that tg was located in their radio programming, lol.)
That is one heck of a mutual aid call responding over 50 miles to a hazmat incident. Wonder what the dispatchers and personal in AA county and people along the way thought when someone in Easton which is 30 miles from the Bay Bridge when they saw units from AA with lights on sirens screaming going by... ?????? Does anyone have any details of that call and when did it happen?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
That is one heck of a mutual aid call responding over 50 miles to a hazmat incident. Wonder what the dispatchers and personal in AA county and people along the way thought when someone in Easton which is 30 miles from the Bay Bridge when they saw units from AA with lights on sirens screaming going by... ?????? Does anyone have any details of that call and when did it happen?

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber

Something specialized like that is not uncommon to be called out of the area, each county generally has a small team with limited equipment for special operations.

boatbod

There were two recent incidents involving signficant Hazmat in the mid-shore region.
i. Large ammonia leak at Seawatch International seafood processing plant in Easton.
ii. Fire at Egide manufacturing plan in Cambridge. Building contained stores of hazmat chemicals that were reactive to water.

Closest appropriately equipped hazmat teams are Anne Arundel and Salisbury.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Anne Arundel has specialized assets that some counties just don't have the need or availability to have. Anne Arundel Dive Teams, Hazmat, Mobile Ambulance Bus, Marine Units, High Angle, Mobile Command Unit, Confined Space, etc. routinely respond to the Eastern Shore during these types of specialized incidents. Over the years, I have heard AA respond to Kent, Queen Anne's, Caroline, Talbot, & Dorchester.

FiRST definitely has improved communications so they can monitor incident talkgroups or patched talkgroups to MD Tac's while responding to these types of incidents from a distance.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
ELKTON, MD. – On Tuesday, July 21st, County Executive Alan McCarthy, at a ceremony attended by representatives from the County Administration, Department of Emergency Services, and Motorola Solutions, signed off on the final acceptance of the Cecil County Motorola P-25 Enhancement Project.

The project, which began in Fall 2018, and first began live operation in June 2019, will improve the effectiveness of Cecil County’s Emergency Services, conserve taxpayer’s money in long-term savings and bolster the safety of our citizens and first responders.

Designed to replace the aging and outdated radio system that was previously used by Cecil County’s Emergency Services, the P-25 Enhancement Project will bring more consistent, reliable, functional technology to our first responders and county workers. Operating on the “Maryland FiRST” state system, the new radio technology will allow total intercommunication between the Cecil County Department of Emergency Services, Cecil County Sheriff’s Office, other law enforcement agencies and county-wide volunteer fire services, as well as all public works, transit, health department, and public school operations.

The new system includes over 1400 portable and mobile radios, upgrades to the primary and backup 9-1-1 centers, enhancements to the county’s radio tower sites, and connection to the statewide Maryland First Responder Radio System Team 700 MHz radio system.
An investment of $9,492,000 in the future of Cecil County’s emergency response capabilities, the Motorola P-25 Enhancement Project will keep our citizens and first responders safer, and is a testament to the abilities of the hardworking public servants in the County Administration and Department of Emergency Services.

“The work this project took behind the scenes was extensive, but it serves as a great example of what can be achieved when we don’t worry about who gets credit or recognition, but just focus on providing good government to the people,” remarked McCarthy.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
There were two recent incidents involving signficant Hazmat in the mid-shore region.
i. Large ammonia leak at Seawatch International seafood processing plant in Easton.
ii. Fire at Egide manufacturing plan in Cambridge. Building contained stores of hazmat chemicals that were reactive to water.

Closest appropriately equipped hazmat teams are Anne Arundel and Salisbury.
You would think that Salisbury would be heck of a lot closer to Cambridge then AA county would be. Coming from AA County even with lights and sirens could take up to an hour to get their as well and if the units are going to be their awhile like during shift change that is one heck of a trip to change over personal who are volunteers or paid personal to begin with..

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
ELKTON, MD. – On Tuesday, July 21st, County Executive Alan McCarthy, at a ceremony attended by representatives from the County Administration, Department of Emergency Services, and Motorola Solutions, signed off on the final acceptance of the Cecil County Motorola P-25 Enhancement Project.

The project, which began in Fall 2018, and first began live operation in June 2019, will improve the effectiveness of Cecil County’s Emergency Services, conserve taxpayer’s money in long-term savings and bolster the safety of our citizens and first responders.

Designed to replace the aging and outdated radio system that was previously used by Cecil County’s Emergency Services, the P-25 Enhancement Project will bring more consistent, reliable, functional technology to our first responders and county workers. Operating on the “Maryland FiRST” state system, the new radio technology will allow total intercommunication between the Cecil County Department of Emergency Services, Cecil County Sheriff’s Office, other law enforcement agencies and county-wide volunteer fire services, as well as all public works, transit, health department, and public school operations.

The new system includes over 1400 portable and mobile radios, upgrades to the primary and backup 9-1-1 centers, enhancements to the county’s radio tower sites, and connection to the statewide Maryland First Responder Radio System Team 700 MHz radio system.
An investment of $9,492,000 in the future of Cecil County’s emergency response capabilities, the Motorola P-25 Enhancement Project will keep our citizens and first responders safer, and is a testament to the abilities of the hardworking public servants in the County Administration and Department of Emergency Services.

“The work this project took behind the scenes was extensive, but it serves as a great example of what can be achieved when we don’t worry about who gets credit or recognition, but just focus on providing good government to the people,” remarked McCarthy.

It's amazing how the far communications sytems advanced from the late 60's/early 70's when I spent my school summers at Buttonwood Beach in Cecil Co where my Dad helped manage the Beach. 46.18 FD, 155.79 Elkton PD, 39.9 Cecil Co Sheriff, 39.34 Northeast State PD Barracks F, 2182, 2638, 2738, 2670 KHz marine DSB, then VHF FM marine, WUB33 C&D canal operator on Marine CH13. Wonder what the comms will be like 50 yrs from now.

Rich - N3VMY - KAG0096

boatbod

You would think that Salisbury would be heck of a lot closer to Cambridge then AA county would be. Coming from AA County even with lights and sirens could take up to an hour to get their as well and if the units are going to be their awhile like during shift change that is one heck of a trip to change over personal who are volunteers or paid personal to begin with..
It's about an hour from either direction to Easton. Cambridge is marginally closer to Salisbury but based on size of incident I think the IC wanted to err on the side of caution as far as having sufficient resources on scene. The Camb incident lasted from ~5:30pm thru ~11:30pm with firefighting being the first hour or two so there was plenty of time for the special units to get on scene.

jim202

This is just one of many state wide trunking systems that have been created over the last few years. It is actually small is size compared to other state wide trunking systems.

One example of a large state wide P25 trunking system is Louisiana. You can leave your jurisdiction and travel any place in the state and be able to talk back to your dispatch without doing anything except drive. Your normal talk group will work no matter where you go. There is some limitation on actual RF coverage in some areas, but for the most part it works any place in the state.

The Louisiana state wide system may have limited channel availability in some regions, but for the most part, you just stay on your normal talk group and use it just like your in your home town or city as you drive around the state.