Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone noticed that DNR Area 7 and 8 have been "patched" together recently? Before I was just hearing Area 7 traffic over Area 8, now I'm seeing both talkgroups at the same time transmitting the same thing. Almost like patch, but it's not showing as a patch call.
They frequently combine dispatch positions at night, and PhotoG notes that he has been observing NRP more frequent "patching." I don't see any NRP patches on the AA site atm, but MTA, Talbot Fire, QA Fire, and Caroline Fire have several active.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone noticed that DNR Area 7 and 8 have been "patched" together recently? Before I was just hearing Area 7 traffic over Area 8, now I'm seeing both talkgroups at the same time transmitting the same thing. Almost like patch, but it's not showing as a patch call.

If it's not a patch call but is two different talkpaths for two different talkgroups but simultaneously transmitting audio, it's probably a dispatch multiselect. They broadcast out both, but inbound traffic doesn't cross from one to the other.

Jeff19

Premium Subscriber
I’m located in PG and looking forward to the FIRST site coming fully online. I can pick up Anne Arundels simulcast currently.

My question pertains to MSP aviation. I’m still used to the days of 44.74/47.66 for SYSCOM and Helimed respectively. How are the troopers communicating currently to SYSCOM and the hospitals in Region 5, where FIRST isn’t online.

Also, what will communications look like once the final sites come online?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
They're still using VHF in equal measure, and also the new 700 A/G freqs

LordDonkey

If it's not a patch call but is two different talkpaths for two different talkgroups but simultaneously transmitting audio, it's probably a dispatch multiselect. They broadcast out both, but inbound traffic doesn't cross from one to the other.

Even units talking back were transmitting on both talkgroups.

1603887086123.png

chrgaughan

The state police have a search and rescue going on in the Lower New Germany Road area, it appears that there are quite a few agencies ( DNR , FIRE and MSP ) using a few talk around channels.

LordDonkey

The state police have a search and rescue going on in the Lower New Germany Road area, it appears that there are quite a few agencies ( DNR , FIRE and MSP ) using a few talk around channels.

I thought they were using MD TAC 10? Maybe that explains why it's so quiet here if they're using talkaround channels.

chrgaughan

It's been quiet now for about the last 15 minutes, I'm in the record mode so it's not easy to review the ID's. When I get home I will check the ID's they were using and give you an update. I can hear Garrett Co. perfectly here at work ( In Mineral Co WV ) It's probably because Dan's mountain is about 2 to 3 miles away.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I thought they were using MD TAC 10? Maybe that explains why it's so quiet here if they're using talkaround channels.
Are you saying MD Tac 10 is a T/A channel? It's not. There are other 700 / 800 channels that can be used in simplex mode if necessary, and there is also VHF that is used by private SAR organizations, and DNR.

LordDonkey

Are you saying MD Tac 10 is a T/A channel? It's not. There are other 700 / 800 channels that can be used in simplex mode if necessary, and there is also VHF that is used by private SAR organizations, and DNR.

Negative, wasn't saying that. Tac 10 is statewide according to the MD TAC SOP.

They are using talk group 12644, I've heard traffic on TG 12622 & TG 12623

I heard the traffic on GR Command (12644) between 07:36 and 10:05. Haven't heard anything on 12622 (Sheriff Tac 1.) The only traffic on 12623 (Sheriff Tac 2) was this morning at 6:03 AM, 1444 went on duty. Afaik those aren't talkaround channels. Also last time I had traffic on Tac 1 was Sept 26 at 23:51. Strange that talkgroups on that end of the county wouldn't also be transmitted in the NW of Garrett on the Blooming Rose Site.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Negative, wasn't saying that. Tac 10 is statewide according to the MD TAC SOP.

I heard the traffic on GR Command (12644) between 07:36 and 10:05. Haven't heard anything on 12622 (Sheriff Tac 1.) The only traffic on 12623 (Sheriff Tac 2) was this morning at 6:03 AM, 1444 went on duty. Afaik those aren't talkaround channels. Also last time I had traffic on Tac 1 was Sept 26 at 23:51. Strange that talkgroups on that end of the county wouldn't also be transmitted in the NW of Garrett on the Blooming Rose Site.

A tg on this system would not be used as a T/A channel. A separate zone on state subscribers contain MD Direct channels and other interop frequencies that can be used in direct mode, although I have not seen the channel plan for Garrett County radios. Does Garrett County use DVRS?

LordDonkey

I uploaded a PDF with the Fire/EMS Radio TG layout. They use a VRX1000 DVRS. I think Bloomington Fire has used theirs at one point.
1603898194944.png

Attachments

• GCZones.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 43

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Looks like they have DNR VHF in their subs, as well as the standard compliment of interop channels in all bands. Plus the GC VHF ops channels, so plenty of options. Then there are the deployable repeaters, but I'm not sure if the state owns one / has one in the region.

LordDonkey

Addison, PA fire must have had their radios programmed for FiRST. Responding units from Addison Fire 613 to a flue fire in Friendsville are coming up with RIDs of 5105x and 5106x. Hopefully Co618 Salisbury, PA has as well, that consolette that Somerset Co had programmed for FiRST (RID 8560015) was hard to hear and understand. The volume was really low.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Speculation cap on: It looks like the state will be establishing analogues to the VHF A-G frequencies used for SYSCOM (44.74) and Helimed (47.66) using two 700 A-G frequencies. The process to deploy 700 channels for MSP helicopters has been tortured due the the lack of proper aircraft radios and ground-based steering equipment and software. Looking at recent FCC licensing, CAPRAD data and statements at recent RCB meeting, it appears that 7AG60 (769.63125) will be replacing MSP SYSCOM; and 7AG85 (774.11875) will be replacing Helimed - now described as MIEMSS EMRC. The state has licensed a site at Dans Rock in Allegany, and is working for others at Bush St. in Baltimore City; PG County; St. Mary's County; Washington County, and Salisbury. The aircraft are limited in output to 2w at or below 1500' AGL to prevent interference to surrounding jurisdictions.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've been testing SDRTrunk off and on, and I've noticed that 7R3 Call and 7R5 Call are very active on the AACo site - has this always been the case, or is this a recent development?

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Re: 7R3 Call and 7R5 Call, I checked Unitrunker logs and it looks like last Friday they started being used much more often.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
So at my home in Virginia I am getting a strong signal from the PG county site. Anything to listen to yet in the Southern/NCR region?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So at my home in Virginia I am getting a strong signal from the PG county site. Anything to listen to yet in the Southern/NCR region?
The southern Maryland counties are scheduled to go live by the end of the year, Charles County being the first. Then the metro DC counties, first PG, then Montgomery by the Spring of 2021. You can occasionally hear MIEMMS and a few other TGs on PG, but most traffic is denied at this point.