Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

rberg001

Premium Subscriber
Makes sense (sort of): 7R3Med1, although I think Cecil is Region IV (7R4Med1 / 7616)
MIEMSS Radio Regions don't exactly match the Adminstrative Regions

Attachments

• MIEMSS Communications_Map_2012.pdf
    515.7 KB · Views: 33

Mr_Boh

About Garrett's FEMA grant to buy radio equipment. I'm curious why a local fire department had to apply for the grant (with help from a fire grants service,) rather than the county. Is this a technicality in the structure of the grant program, that a local department is the applicant? The grant covers mobiles and one (?) portable per fire unit - are EMS companies included? I'm also assuming that this will be the initial tranche of subscriber radios, with more expected to be funded by the county at a later date? And i wonder if this includes consoles at the 911 center?

Totally depends on the county (and state) but not knowing about Garrett, my assumption is they have a pre-set allocation (i.e. 2 portables and 1 mobile per unit, plus 5 portables for the top five officers in the fire house), but they will allow companies to go out and purchase their own provided they meet the specifications for model/flashcode. Counties can apply, States can apply, Local Governments can apply, and the non-profit VFDs can all apply on their own, just depends on the grant rules. The county could totally apply for a separate grant to cover consoles. FEMA doesn't know any different in terms of who owns the radio system, all they care about is some department needs radios.

tolley

Premium Subscriber
Interesting - I haven't heard anything about this but will make inquiries. Talbot units frequently respond to Dorchester for mutual aid, so it'd probably be good to know if they are changing something. Of course, it might just be a case of training catching up with the existing programming/usage, which was much different than how they operated prior to switching over to FiRST.

There was training for law enforcement and fire companies because the radio buttons/switches and zones have been changed (no new talkgroups). This shouldn't have affected neighboring counties of Caroline and Talbot which have Dorchester talkgroups programmed. As for now Wicomico fire responses are patched into Dorchester TAC 3A usually on one of the West Ops talkgroups. There is no ability to patch Somerset at this time either since they are still on the legacy EDACS system.

boatbod

There was training for law enforcement and fire companies because the radio buttons/switches and zones have been changed (no new talkgroups). This shouldn't have affected neighboring counties of Caroline and Talbot which have Dorchester talkgroups programmed. As for now Wicomico fire responses are patched into Dorchester TAC 3A usually on one of the West Ops talkgroups. There is no ability to patch Somerset at this time either since they are still on the legacy EDACS system.
Ah ok, that's good to know thanks.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
12024 on QA Site. Caroline Law Units using this as a dispatch talkgroup. Not sure if it is an accidental patch or a new talkgroup.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
12024 on QA Site. Caroline Law Units using this as a dispatch talkgroup. Not sure if it is an accidental patch or a new talkgroup.
Maybe it's one of their "Special" channels like they had on their old UESC system - Talbot still seems to have one in their lineup. Maybe dispatch training? IDK. I only hear Caroline unit occasionally at home.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

"C Law Event."

Units are still operating on this instead of using Dispatch. Units were also saying that they were headed for "Radio Maintenance."

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Jesus, when is FIRST / Motorola going to deploy a readable A-G comms solution. The PM using a portable subscriber and an earphone in his helmet is so much redneck engineering it makes me ill.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Jesus, when is FIRST / Motorola going to deploy a readable A-G comms solution. The PM using a portable subscriber and an earphone in his helmet is so much redneck engineering it makes me ill.

Is FiRST in charge of the Air to Ground conventional simplex system build out or is it a Syscom/MIEMSS thing ? Knowing MSP avation reported to Syscom in the 44.74 MHz days, and the EMS Med channel system reports to MIEMSS, who would be the driving force to impliment the new air to ground system ?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Is FiRST in charge of the Air to Ground conventional simplex system build out or is it a Syscom/MIEMSS thing ? Knowing MSP avation reported to Syscom in the 44.74 MHz days, and the EMS Med channel system reports to MIEMSS, who would be the driving force to impliment the new air to ground system ?
The simplex 700 A-G channels are considered part of the FIRST project. It is a hardware issue that Motorola (and the market?) has not been able to address thus far.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
MdTA Police Lane Bridge detachment and the Queen Anne County Sheriff's department have their hands full rerouting truckers off the western span of the Bay Bridge. They are forcing trucks box-size and up off Rt50 at Rt 8. Semis are clogging the shoulders waiting for when they will be able to cross - I guess 9PM when two-way traffic on the eastern span opens up. What a cluster...

maus92

Premium Subscriber
773.08125 *seems* to be stuck on - it's a member of the AA Simulcast site.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
will BCP436 get NRP? I have it on there but I get no signal. maybe I can't get the stupid 'quickkeys' right

local railroad is MTRBRO. will any scanner get that? I'm really stuck in 90s technology.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
will BCP436 get NRP? I have it on there but I get no signal. maybe I can't get the stupid 'quickkeys' right

local railroad is MTRBRO. will any scanner get that? I'm really stuck in 90s technology.

The 436 will receive NRP on FIRST; not sure if they still use VHF on the shore.

It will not receive TBRO out of the box, but you can buy an upgrade for it from Uniden.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
much thankx for the response
I paid for upgrade for Edacs Provoice and I'm glad I did.
will have to review my programming for NRP
I fear I live too far from the RR to make it worthwhile. my truck scanner is a whistler and I don't think that will get trbo.