Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

maus92

Premium Subscriber
851.0125 is one of the national interoperability channels (8CALL90,) and not really part of FIRST per se. Doesn't St. Mary's use them for mutual aid to the surrounding counties since their Harris subscriber don't do Smartnet (Charles Co. and formerly Calvet Co. - now P25.)

KB9ERX

Premium Subscriber
St. Mary’s has been simulcasting their Main (dispatch) on 851.0125 all day, I have only known and have used this frequency to be a “calling” channel for when we run mutual aid and then told to switch to another channel in the 8Call group. I have heard them testing with Calvert in the past on this frequency. Perhaps some testing being done in St.Marys ?

Ill check and see if anything is going on with the First System

Chris,
I just checked the St. Mary's FIRST system, both with a 536 set to stare/record, and with an Airspy, and I am not even seeing the CC. I think it has been that way for a week(if not longer).

I have noticed that the audio for the 154.980Mhz VHF Simulcast has been very poor for the past week or so. I wonder if they are using the 851.0125 for simulcast instead. I will put that channel back in scan rotation, thanks for the tipper!

Eric

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
851.0125 is one of the national interoperability channels (8CALL90,) and not really part of FIRST per se. Doesn't St. Mary's use them for mutual aid to the surrounding counties since their Harris subscriber don't do Smartnet (Charles Co. and formerly Calvet Co. - now P25.)

Yes, that frequency is known as 8Call90 the “Calling” frequency that all jurisdictions are supposed to monitor so I’m told and then they will set the patch up on one of the 8Call Tac channels. This is always done when any St. Mary’s unit runs out of county. The Harris system is the best of the best !

It was just odd to hear that going on all day but like I’ve said I’ve heard testing being done but nothing like that. Perhaps someone pressed a wrong button.

Last edited:

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Chris,
I just checked the St. Mary's FIRST system, both with a 536 set to stare/record, and with an Airspy, and I am not even seeing the CC. I think it has been that way for a week(if not longer).

I have noticed that the audio for the 154.980Mhz VHF Simulcast has been very poor for the past week or so. I wonder if they are using the 851.0125 for simulcast instead. I will put that channel back in scan rotation, thanks for the tipper!

Eric

I was down in Piney Point the other day and 154.980 sounded horrible to the point I turned it off. I then made my way north into Leonardtown and turned it back on and it was fine. Perhaps a transmitter issue on the Drayden tower ?

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I found this interesting, this may or may not have anything to do with the First System but thought I’d post anyway.

Location - Charles County / King George County Va
Agency - Maryland Transportation Authority Police
Subject - Radio Coverage Testing

Units (N7) and (N11) have been conducting radio coverage (mobile) and (portable) testing inside and outside buildings in Charles County and King George County Va on the MTA talkgroup used on the current Charles County system.

This has been going on all day, while normal radio traffic resumed. I would think it would be too early to assume it has something to due with Charles new upcoming system but I could be wrong. Due to being in Va and testing it had me thinking of the First system as there is a tower by the Nice Bridge but then why do it on the current system ? Any idea what this is being done for ?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I found this interesting, this may or may not have anything to do with the First System but thought I’d post anyway.

Location - Charles County / King George County Va
Agency - Maryland Transportation Authority Police
Subject - Radio Coverage Testing

Units (N7) and (N11) have been conducting radio coverage (mobile) and (portable) testing inside and outside buildings in Charles County and King George County Va on the MTA talkgroup used on the current Charles County system.

This has been going on all day, while normal radio traffic resumed. I would think it would be too early to assume it has something to due with Charles new upcoming system but I could be wrong. Due to being in Va and testing it had me thinking of the First system as there is a tower by the Nice Bridge but then why do it on the current system ? Any idea what this is being done for ?
I believe Charles County’s current SmartZone system is already maxed out on sites, so I doubt they added a site on Nice Bridge tower site. Maybe an antenna realignment/ relocation/ replacement somewhere? Or they moved a site to the NB tower? Or is King George working on a new system?

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I believe Charles County’s current SmartZone system is already maxed out on sites, so I doubt they added a site on Nice Bridge tower site. Maybe an antenna realignment/ relocation/ replacement somewhere? Or they moved a site to the NB tower? Or is King George working on a new system?

I confirmed King George is not, however the fire side now have all new all band Motorola mobiles and portables while the police continue to use their XTS300’s on their VHF P25 system. Nether have plans on changing. I find this VERY interestin.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I confirmed King George is not, however the fire side now have all new all band Motorola mobiles and portables while the police continue to use their XTS300’s on their VHF P25 system. Nether have plans on changing. I find this VERY interestin.
A site under WRKE289 was licensed in 2020 at Nice Bridge. It appears they moved a SmartZone site to that tower (or used some trickery to add an 11th site,) and the Nice Bridge subsite is also included in their future 20 site P25 system

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I should amend the above to say the licensing would allow 20K bandwidth comms from that tower site, along with another tower site on Maryland Point Road that is not currently part of the SmartZone system.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
I am aware that this is huge and complex statewide TRS. However, does anyone have any layout of the system and a list of which talkgroups are system wide and site specific?

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am aware that this is huge and complex statewide TRS. However, does anyone have any layout of the system and a list of which talkgroups are system wide and site specific?

County specific talkgroups are active for the county they are in and the surrounding county in each direction (if a radio is active on the site). MSP/MDTA pretty much are the same too.

If you monitor Anne Arundel, I have found it too be a great site to monitor. Talbot, QA, Caroline, & Dorchester have the "ability" to be active on the site. I have monitored some very far away talkgorups active on AA for NRP/SHA (maybe because their comms centers are in the county).

maus92

Premium Subscriber
8377 Seneca Creek State Park Ops
Interesting that this park is using FIRST since the Montgomery County cell is not on the air. Maybe Marlu Ridge provides the coverage, or maybe some sort of ISSI or crosslink connection with Montgomery County's system?

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Interesting that this park is using FIRST since the Montgomery County cell is not on the air. Maybe Marlu Ridge provides the coverage, or maybe some sort of ISSI or crosslink connection with Montgomery County's system?

Or they are just testing a radio....

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Prince Georges simulcast cell has been down since June 30. Not even Cobb Road is transmitting RF.

BigDaddy419

Any ideas as to when Fredrick Co. may get some TG's on FiRST? I know MSP, SHA, NRP, and Cunningham Falls State Park are, was just curious as to if/when other county agencies would be joining.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Any ideas as to when Fredrick Co. may get some TG's on FiRST? I know MSP, SHA, NRP, and Cunningham Falls State Park are, was just curious as to if/when other county agencies would be joining.
Frederick County has its own system, thus really doesn't need FIRST resources. They may occasionally use the MD Tac tgs, or maybe the Events tgs and MIEMMS tgs. I don't think they have applied for backup tgs for their system, but I may be wrong

BigDaddy419

Frederick County has its own system, thus really doesn't need FIRST resources. They may occasionally use the MD Tac tgs, or maybe the Events tgs and MIEMMS tgs. I don't think they have applied for backup tgs for their system, but I may be wrong
Ok. I was under the impression that everyone would have to be operating on this system at some point.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I was under the impression that everyone would have to be operating on this system at some point.
Nope, not at all. The are some crosslinks in certain jurisdictions between individual tgs, and state subscribers can roam onto local jurisdictions via ISSI connections (usually between Motorola systems.)