Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Ok Time now is 1231 and radio ID 2145539 is denied along with ID 2138400,2136552 all denied on the main CC 773.73125

TIme now 1239 and 7 radio ID's have been denied on that tower

Last edited:

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, on the PG Tower under Peers the Montgomery Tower Site 005-001 is showing up but no label. I wonder if they are still testing the tower right now and Radio ID 2117632 is totally denied access to the system

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, on the PG Tower under Peers the Montgomery Tower Site 005-001 is showing up but no label. I wonder if they are still testing the tower right now and Radio ID 2117632 is totally denied access to the system
You have to enter the label manually as the system only advertises the zone and site numbers.

The FIRST Prince Georges cell is not seen over the AACo cell, but we do see the Prince Georges County system 2A8, likely via ISSI.

BM82557

Ok Time now is 1231 and radio ID 2145539 is denied along with ID 2138400,2136552 all denied on the main CC 773.73125

TIme now 1239 and 7 radio ID's have been denied on that tower

Surprised that I can "see" the CC on 773.73125 considering the distance from me and being 700 MHz. Too weak to get a decode though.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Surprised that I can "see" the CC on 773.73125 considering the distance from me and being 700 MHz. Too weak to get a decode though.
There is a subsite on the MPT tower in Clarksburg; I guess that is closest to you.

BM82557

New to me site 1.30 shows up as a neighbor to site 1.28 --

Screenshot - 10_16_2021 , 08_39_08.png

Looks like you guys to my east are talking about it --

1.30 doesn't currently show up as a neighbor on 1.17 or 1.20 but is a neighbor on 1.16.

In addition 5.1 shows up as a neighbor on 1.16

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
New to me site 1.30 shows up as a neighbor to site 1.28 --

View attachment 110795

Looks like you guys to my east are talking about it --

1.30 doesn't currently show up as a neighbor on 1.17 or 1.20 but is a neighbor on 1.16.

In addition 5.1 shows up as a neighbor on 1.16
01-030 is *likely* the new Carroll County simulcast cell, which combines the existing Westminster ASR with new sites at Sykesville and Taylorsville to form the new cell. Not sure what will happen to Westminster's frequencies once the conversion is finalized next year. Earlier this week I did not hear any of the new site's frequencies actually on the air, so it may only be a logical exercise in system programming atm. The cell will initially be just Westminster and Sykesville, then Taylorsville gets added later. I asked the mods to merge the thread you reference into the main FIRST sticky to keep all the info together and from getting lost, but so far they have not done so.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot of radio Id's that are denied on the mongomery tower 005-001 and a lot of the same radio id's are also being denied on the PG tower as well. I wonder what in the world is going on?????I am getting my info from Unitrunker running an airspy dongle

maus92

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot of radio Id's that are denied on the mongomery tower 005-001 and a lot of the same radio id's are also being denied on the PG tower as well. I wonder what in the world is going on?????I am getting my info from Unitrunker running an airspy dongle
Both the Montgomery and Prince Georges simulcast cells ( and all of Zone 5) are not carrying operation traffic until coverage testing and backhaul construction is complete. The go-live date is currently November 15. Subscribers that are not part of the testing program will be denied affiliation, with a few exceptions.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Also, to clear up any continuing confusion, there is no Montgomery "tower." There is a Montgomery simulcast cell, which consists of 6 tower sites:

1. Gaithersburg (Shady Grove) - Prime site;
2. Germantown (Montgomery College) - subsite;
3. Clarksburg (MPT) - subsite;
4. Rockville (MSP Rockville) - subsite;
5. Persimmon Tree Rd. (I-495) - subsite;
6: Georgia Ave. (ICC) - subsite.

Looking at the site distribution geographically, I would be suspicious of coverage in the Potomac River Valley to support DNR and the NPS. I'd be watching for ISSI links to the county system in Peer / Neighbor lists.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Calvert is up and peering with St. Mary's and Charles as of tonight. Will look closer at the frequencies I captured on the way home and see if anything was of interest.
Calvert and St Mary's should also be peering with sites across the bay to the east, eventually. I think there's a MW link that spans the lower bay; I'll have to look at the records.

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Calvert and St Mary's should also be peering with sites across the bay to the east, eventually. I think there's a MW link that spans the lower bay; I'll have to look at the records.

Calvert is currently peered with:
  • Prince George's Simulcast
  • Charles Simulcast
  • St. Mary's Simulcast
Showing control channels as 774.08125 and 774.81875.

I've been able to pick up the sites from the other side of the Bay so peering with them makes sense.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Calvert is currently peered with:
  • Prince George's Simulcast
  • Charles Simulcast
  • St. Mary's Simulcast
Showing control channels as 774.08125 and 774.81875.

I've been able to pick up the sites from the other side of the Bay so peering with them makes sense.
When the Zone 5 sites (excluding Montgomery) were up earlier, they used a temporary backhaul network to conduct coverage testing. At that point, you could see the peers on the Eastern Shore. The site entries in the RRDB shows what they were at that point. I'm sure that config will return once the new backhaul segments are completed in the next few weeks.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I’m hearing more and more as days go by that DNR (Area 4) is using First and not their VHF system. Yes it’s sill patched in but you can really tell the difference between using a trunked system verses a standard VHF system. Prime example, just listen to Area 3 on their VHF frequencies. I pick up the Eagle Harbor VHF site fine here. How are they doing it ? I haven’t had a clue as I haven’t seen any REAL activity on any of the Southern sites.

Side note, I hope they keep the VHF frequencies up and running. All of Area 3 units seems to be operating on First and it hasn’t been turned off so I guess that’s a good sign for now.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I’m curious on what traffic we here in Southern Maryland will hear, I’m very excited to be able to hear MSP in St. Mary’s again as they are currently encrypted operating under the current St. Mary’s system. it is to my understanding that all fire, MSP, and DNR will be in tbe clear. So what will it mean for Calvert site paring with the PG site ? All of PG being heard in Southern Maryland ? Eastern Shore heard on Southern Maryland ? My G5 can pick up the Dorchester site in Colton’s Point in St. Marys. That was a big surprise!