MAS 835 Aircraft Radio (info needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2WPL

Premium Subscriber
Greetings All:

I have a MAS (brand) 835 (model) VHF aircraft radio, obviously designed for ground vehicle or base station use. It has a paper tag that says "Marine Air Systems" and an FCC ID of MAS835.

It operates on 12VDC and appears to be programmable, though I do not know how.

I have searched the internet diligently and found nothing about this radio. I would like to re-program it to monitor local traffic, so that is what I am really searching for.

Any help would be appreciated.

KA2WPL
Bob
Forked River, NJ USA

AKAvionicsGuy

MAS 835 Radio Info Needed: reply to,

Hi Bob, Pete from Alaska here. I'm familiar with the radio you speak of. The model has been purchased by Marine Air Systems, EXICOM and DX Radio in the past. It incorporates an 8X16 EEPROM which has to be erased in an ultraviolet oven for 30 minutes and then burned with a binary program via a "Shooter". Its a process not many are able to perform. For one thing, its an old MS DOS program.
This chip is found by removing the top cover of the radio and then lifting the MU-metal shield which is about 3X4 inches.
If your EPROM has a piece of tape or covering a window, then it can be erased and reprogrammed. If its solid with no small glass window, its a one shot that you're stuck with. However, I still have a few of these old chips. If you need one, email me at alaskadad99@yahoo.com. Let me know what freqs you want programmed. I won't charge anything. The practice keeps my skills up with this old archaic stuff....(grin)

ke9oa

Mas835

This radio is set up for the VHF range of 116.5 to 136.5MHz, depending on the iteration. You need to have a microphone plugged in, in order to have receive audio.
I have the service manual for this rig, if you have any questions. I don't get on this forum very often, so feel free to e-mail me directly at

p.gianako@comcast.net

This is the only way to really get ahold of me.

Pete KE9OA

AKAvionicsGuy

EXICOM, MAS, DXRadio 835 Microphones

I forgot to ask, if any of you guy know a source where these mics can be purchased, please let me know.
Thanks

KA2WPL

Premium Subscriber
Pete from Alaska was most helpful. Sent him my old EPROM (chip itself getting rare) and a couple of bucks for mailing and handling. Very impressive receiver performance and audio quality from this unit. If you only want to listen, you can probably figure out what two pins to jump in the microphone connector to make that work, (some older marine radios are like this too).

I'm very happy with the revived old radio. Far from a closet anchor.

Bob W.
KA2WPL
Forked River, NJ

"my Wife thinks I have more radios than I need"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AKAvionicsGuy

835 Manual

Thanks for the kudos, Bob. Anyway, I have a few of these books at work, complete with schematics. If anyone needs particular info, let me know. I can scan a drawing and email it to you.
Airport ops folks prefer these radios over any other. They ask me to do whatever it takes to keep them running because nothing else that's available makes them happy.
This was the first generation of synthesized tuners. They became quickly obsolete once the non-volitile RAM chips were installed which made them easy to program right from the unit itself. I must say, the 835s have the tightest front ends of any airband radio I've ever used. ICOMs let everything in and then begin filtering around the 1st IF. Unfortunately, any strong adjacent frequency breaks squelch on 'em unless you go in and dumb them down a bit. So if ya got one, take care of it.

skywarrior

Premium Subscriber
I also had one of these neat radios several years ago. the RAM chip it came with only had a few channels as I recall. I contacted the company and purchased the full range chip so the radio would cover the 108-136 range. I have always been sorry I sold it as has been stated a great receiver! Have fun with it.

robles2015

MAS 835 Operations Manual

Greetings,

I have been searching the internet for an operations manual for this base station and read your threads on other members having service manuals.

Does anyone have an operations manual or can you point me in the right direction on who to contact for one? I have looked up Marine Air Systems, Ltd. and they are no longer in business.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.